Windows 10: Locked out of computer after creating Microsoft account

Discus and support Locked out of computer after creating Microsoft account in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; However, now in the middle of whatever I am doing I am being asked for verification and they send me a security code via phone to put in. I don't know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bobbie, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Locked out of computer after creating Microsoft account

That's normal, It's the verify your identity check. I do mine via e-mail. How it's done is setup in your Microsoft ID account. You should be able to just have the code sent to the e-mail address you used for your Microsoft ID. When the prompt comes up again click the drop down arrow and change it from phone notification to e-mail notification.

alphanumeric, Oct 11, 2015
  2. Bobbie Win User

Must they do that every time I use the computer...it is annoying. I am ready to cancel the account...had no idea what I was getting into when I created it, thought it would be a good,thing but NOT. It is my computer and no one uses it but me. I realiZe "security etc" but this is overkill.

Bobbie, Oct 11, 2015
  3. It's a one time deal, not every time. Once you do it you won't have to do it again until you reinstall Windows on that device. Entering that code makes that device a trusted device. Once that's done sync settings etc are unlocked so you can sync passwords etc across your other devices that you log into with that Microsoft ID. It's an extra precaution so somebody can't pretend to be you and steal web site log in info etc. It's not hard to guess some e-mail addresses etc.

alphanumeric, Oct 11, 2015
  4. Locked out of computer after creating Microsoft account

DustSailor, Oct 11, 2015
  5. whatever you do, never delete an account if anything is messed up, you may never recover and be locked out forever, that means the admin, and local accounts on the computer. Only delete an account if you are 100% sure all is well. MS is so unforgiving when it comes to messed up code.... bugs, accounts, and they send you verification, expecting you to be able to retrieve the damned overkill verification, even though you cannot possibly get to the ms mail to get the crap they send... What a mess. I took Win10 out and went back to Win8. I had no choice, Win10 nuked itself. Too many errors, Cortana was so bugged up and missing parts... and you cannot shut off the features or else you are really screwed... I still have Win 10 on my wife's computer. I am afraid of touching it, and I have been working with computers, on and off in engineering and home use for 35 years. I have no clue who people with no computer background will survive using the newer MS programs.,, as they will surely be spending a lot of money at computer repair shops, all because of bugged out code.

retiredat44, Oct 12, 2015
  6. I had to just write over it with Win 8. I could not go back.. even though I had upgraded from win8 to win10, I was locked totally out too. So I took out my Win8 disc and started over. No choice, MS locks you out and there is no working reset, the rest is only a full backup. the reset they have is bull crap. I tried making a reset thumb drive, worthless.

retiredat44, Oct 14, 2015
  7. Bobbie Win User
    I just wish I had never downloaded windows 10. Now, because I had it over a month I can't go,back without messing up everything I own. Imdontmwqnt anything synced with Microsoft and my other computers. I am done.

Bobbie, Oct 15, 2015
  8. Locked out of computer after creating Microsoft account

You can turn the sync function off if you want. It's not mandatory. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html If you research things before doing them, life is easier. The info is out there if you look for it. Brink has done a very good job of providing tutorials for most if not all of these things.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2015
  9. Bobbie Win User
    Thanks for your help. I try to look things up but sometimes I don't know whether to make changes or not. Like, look what it got me for downloading windows 10. It looked easy to manipulate but I can't find half my "stuff" now. I try but this certainly is not my nitch. And I don't even know who Brink is. ........
    Well I just went to that sight and I see the picture of him. Thanks

Bobbie, Oct 15, 2015
  10. Slugger Win User
    Oh and make backups. Make an image with Macrium Reflect Free

Slugger, Oct 15, 2015
  11. Why does MS lock my computer? I don't want or need this to.happen. it is not their computer. Leave mine alone. Sorry, needed to let off some steam

Sparky3542, Jun 5, 2016
  12. First, you should probably create a new thread, as this is a new issue. Second, you'll need to provide more details. Is your computer locking when you're away from it for a while? If so, change your power management options to suite your needs.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Locked out of computer after creating Microsoft account

1. Locked out of computer after creating Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Locked computer creating

2. Locked out of Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of Microsoft account?: Performed a Windows update and when it finished rebooting, a message showed stating that PIN security had been updated and to use the password that nobody remembers. Then tried the Send Me A Code but the email account never receives it, and here's the twist.The email address...
  3. Locked out of Microsoft Account

Locked out of Microsoft Account: I'm wondering what criminality MS think I'm up to! My office pc was O.K. this morning. My domestic one came up with this rebuff this afternoon.THAT wasn't the worst of it. After going through the Recovery procedures I managed to get a code onto my landline, but it was...
  4. Microsoft account locked out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account locked out: I am helping my elderly neighbor set up a new laptop.They know their current password and they were logged into their MS account on their old laptop.We tried to log into their new laptop with their MS account but it asked to them verify... unfortunantley the cell number it...
  5. Microsoft account locked out

Microsoft account locked out: I am helping my elderly neighbor set up a new laptop.They know their current password and they were logged into their MS account on their old laptop.We tried to log into their new laptop with their MS account but it asked to them verify... unfortunantley the cell number it...
  6. Locked out of Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of Microsoft Account: My wife recently attempted to create a new Microsoft account and somehow messed up the password. We were unable to figure out what she entered and I had to restore her computer from backup so that she could log into it using a local account. We attempted to reset the password...
  7. Locked out of Microsoft Account

Locked out of Microsoft Account: My wife recently attempted to create a new Microsoft account and somehow messed up the password. We were unable to figure out what she entered and I had to restore her computer from backup so that she could log into it using a local account. We attempted to reset the password...
  8. Locked out of my Microsoft account and computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locked out of my Microsoft account and computer: I just bought myself a new computer yesterday, I set it up with my existing microsoft account, but setting up computer they were asking for verification due to suspicious activity on my account. I put in the email I'm registered for, but I don't receive any verification code...
  9. microsoft account locked out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft account locked out: My aged father has been hijacked as he has been negligent with his passwords specifically that of his Microsoft account. His PC was playing up recently so we upgraded to Windows 10 was running 8.1 and on restart the Microsoft banner came up and we couldn't log in with his...
  10. locked out microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    locked out microsoft account: when trying to sign in on computer get a message that Microsoft account has been disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/locked-out-microsoft-account/b86dc012-649d-431e-82f6-3a848405b6a5