Windows 10: Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time

Discus and support Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My son's laptop is completely blocked from use by rogue Microsoft Family screen time settings. We can get to the login screen and log in, but are... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Panedalu, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Panedalu Win User

Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time

My son's laptop is completely blocked from use by rogue Microsoft Family screen time settings. We can get to the login screen and log in, but are immediately presented with a "Times Up" dialog box that says "This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time."

- The machine is running Windows 10.

- We have turned off all time and app restrictions on his account in Family settings.

- We have removed and re-added his account to my family group. Rebooted in between etc. Done this four times including with two different support agents that remoted in to my PC to check all the settings.

- His is the only account on the laptop.

- His laptop still thinks it's operating under time limits that we have since removed. The laptop remains blocked even during time windows where the dialog states the machine will be available for use again.

- The machine will not boot in safe mode no matter how I try to initiate it. I have tried holding down the Shift key or pressing F8 while rebooting.

- The only way to enter recovery mode it to power up and power down a few times in a way that Windows does not load properly.

- Once in the recovery mode, several options require a Bitlocker key. The key is listed in my account but the laptop does not accept it.

- I was given access to the latest Windows ISO file for repair/reinstall options I really would like to repair but my only option would be to boot from the USB it's installed on. However, my Dell does not see the USB from BIOS or the boot up options screen F12. It's on a USB 3.0 stick which perhaps the BIOS does not support. Perhaps I need to install the ISO on a USB 2.0 stick?

All agents ultimately resort to a Windows custom reinstall. My son is upset at the prospect of losing some of his apps which he doesn't readily have access to again.

Any further suggestion on what else to try will be greatly welcome.

:)

Panedalu, Sep 1, 2020
  2. RonBDot Win User

MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen

On some days, MS Family reports more than 9 hours of screen time on my child’s account when I’m confident it should be far less. Does MS Family keep the clock running even when the screen is locked? If so, I suggest you pause the clock when the screen
    is locked.

RonBDot, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The screen time is based on the active hours on the computer, i.e. the idle time is not counted in the screen time report. When the screen is locked, the screen time is not getting calculated to the original screen time. You can find the information
    in the section Common issues with time limits of the thread
    Troubleshooting family safety features in Windows 10
    created by Daniel Strommen [MSFT].

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 1, 2020
  4. Anonimiss Win User

Family Screen time is not working!

I had this exact problem and these are the steps I took to get the issue resolved:

• Navigate to family safety settings and remove the child from the family having issues.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with local account instead
    • Follow the steps to change to a local account. When completed, Login back to your account (admin account)
    • Go back to the family safety settings and add your child back to the family group.
    • Access your childs email address to accept the family invitation
    • Verify the child now shows properly in the family settings and that the screen times are still correct.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with microsoft account instead
    • Your family settings should now take affect.

I know this is pretty tedious, but like I said, it worked for me. If you are still having trouble, I suggest contacting support and they can help walk you through the steps to get it resolved.

Anonimiss, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time - Similar Threads - Locked laptop Family

2. Family Safety locking daughter out of laptop.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Safety locking daughter out of laptop.: I have Microsoft Family Safety on my daughter's Windows laptop. Years ago we had time limits for her. I have been managing everything in the app. I can not get her laptop to stop locking her out. I have removed time limits, I have tried to remove her and then it tells me I am...
  3. Family Safety locking daughter out of laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety locking daughter out of laptop.: I have Microsoft Family Safety on my daughter's Windows laptop. Years ago we had time limits for her. I have been managing everything in the app. I can not get her laptop to stop locking her out. I have removed time limits, I have tried to remove her and then it tells me I am...
  4. Family Safety locking daughter out of laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. ms family account screen time limits not working

ms family account screen time limits not working: Hi Despite trying all the suggestions I can find online to fix it screen time limits have not been working for months. The limit is set correctly but Windows appears to ignore it. Family activity reporting shows that the activity duration is greater than the limit set....
  6. MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen

MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen: On some days, MS Family reports more than 9 hours of screen time on my child’s account when I’m confident it should be far less. Does MS Family keep the clock running even when the screen is locked? If so, I suggest you pause the clock when the screen is locked....
  7. MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MS Family Screen Time keeps resetting to unlimited: I used screen time limiting successfully in the past. But since a few months it doesn't work anymore. I set device limits to ON and configure time limits and allowance windows, it works for maybe 12-24 hours but later I find out that my children have unlimited screen time....
  8. Setting screen time in MS Family

Setting screen time in MS Family: As I see I can only set a screen time for my child with a minimum of 30 minutes. Can I change it and adjust the settings so I could set a screen time like 3.30 – 4.15?...
  9. Lock screen time-out

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lock screen time-out: Is there any way to keep the lock screen from shutting me down if I don't do anything on the keyboard for a minute or 2 minutes, or whatever it is? I followed some instructions that I found on the internet that involve adding ".bak" or ".backup" to the lock screen file in...
  10. Lock Screen Slideshow Time Out

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock Screen Slideshow Time Out: Hello, I used to use a reg file for Windows 8.1 to customize the time until the screen turns off during the Lock Screen Time Out. I want to know if that command still applies for Windows 10. The reg file command is:...