Windows 10: Locked out of SSD

Discus and support Locked out of SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On boot, the Windows 10 loading screen appears, sits for roughly 15 minutes and then BSOD with an "Unknown error", which the PC reboots and starts the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KimEsson, Feb 14, 2020.

1. KimEsson Win User

Locked out of SSD

On boot, the Windows 10 loading screen appears, sits for roughly 15 minutes and then BSOD with an "Unknown error", which the PC reboots and starts the cycle over again.

Using USB recovery, all attempts to repair Windows failed with error "an error has occurred in the connected device". When trying to delete the pre-existing partitions using "Clean install of windows", the same error is given.

- Restore from previous Windows update = failed

- Repair start-up problems = failed

- System Restore = failed

- Reinstall Windows = failed

- Clean install Windows = failed

- System Recovery Image = failed

Tried every option available to either fix, restore or reinstall Windows 10

We pulled the hard drive and put into our bench machine running Windows 10.

Once connected, we were able to access the drive and its files through explorer which we were able to backup the customers files.

Using Disk Management, any attempt to delete the partitions on the hard drive give an error of "an error has occurred in the connected device".

Using Powershell, we were able to delete the partitions according to Powershell, but once completed, the partitions that PowerShell reported as being removed still exist and all files on the partition are intact.

Attempting to use Diskpart and running the clean command, shows success, however, upon removal and reinsertion of the drive, the partitions are still there an unaffected. Trying to use Diskpart to delete the partitions or format the drive, reports success, but again, on refresh, no changes were actually made to the drive.

Decided to try a 3rd party program EaseUS just to see what it would do. Upon selecting the 4 partitions to remove and execute command given, an error is displayed stating "there is a problem with the selected drive, operation aborted".

We tried running SFC, which it reported bad sectors found, but was unable to repair.

We've ran the internal diagnostics of the laptops bios on this hard drive, no errors are found and the drive passes all tests. We've run diagnostics on the drive from our bench machine and receive the same reports no problems found.

Further information, the drive had BitLocker enabled which we've used the key to successfully unlock the drive for each step listed above. However, any attempts to disable / suspend BitLocker on this drive using either PowerShell or graphical interface reports an error that BitLocker can't be removed. Windows can unlock the drive, but Windows is unable to remove BitLocker from it.

Oddly enough, we were able to create several test text documents and save them to the drive and delete them with no problems.

As it stands, there is no means to delete the partitions and no means to reinstall Windows. In essence this drives partitions appear to be write-locked after the updated failed.

We are in the process of putting the drive in our Linux bench machine to see if we have any luck there.

If anyone has run into this problem before, I would like to see if you know a fix for this. We've dealt with corrupted encrypted drives before, but never seen anything to this extent before. As it stands, we are looking at replacing the hard drive if we are unable to fix this with Linux.

:)

KimEsson, Feb 14, 2020

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Feb 14, 2020
  3. RCoon Win User
    PC Build Steps

1.1 - Ideally put optical in SATA 0, and SSD in SATA 1, this will cause the optical drive to be the default 1st boot option. You can change it manually if not, but I like it this way
    2.infinity - yes, that's fine. if it's above 70 +/- 5 degrees, then it may just need a repaste/remount

RCoon, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Jacee Win User

Locked out of SSD

Is there any Browser locking software to lock down browsers?

Read this about Firefox ....... How do I lock my Firefox browser?

Steps To Lock Mozilla Firefox With A Password

• Open Mozilla Firefox, click on Tools -> Add-ons.
    • An Add-ons window will appear with a search box. ...
    • At the top of all, you will see Master Password+ add-on. ...
    • After installing, it will ask you to restart the browser.
    • After restarting, you will see a lock icon in the address bar.
    Nov 24, 2018

How To Lock Mozilla Firefox And Chrome With A password ...

https://www.techuntold.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener">

Jacee, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Locked out of SSD

1. Locked out of SSD - Similar Threads - Locked SSD

2. M.2 SSD is locked in read only protection and preventing me from accessing Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M.2 SSD is locked in read only protection and preventing me from accessing Windows: Windows defender was scanning for viruses when the computer became extremely slow before crashing. I then turned my computer back on but ended up with being sent straight to the BIOS screen and have been unable to enter Windows again. I have figured out the SSD is in...
  3. M.2 SSD is locked in read only protection and preventing me from accessing Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    M.2 SSD is locked in read only protection and preventing me from accessing Windows: Windows defender was scanning for viruses when the computer became extremely slow before crashing. I then turned my computer back on but ended up with being sent straight to the BIOS screen and have been unable to enter Windows again. I have figured out the SSD is in...
  4. M.2 SSD is locked in read only protection and preventing me from accessing Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  6. the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically

the laptop is broken and the ssd is locked by bitlocker automatically: I experienced a broken laptop and it wouldn't turn on again. I took my SSD and tried to use another device but it was locked. I had never previously enabled bitlocker and didn't feel like saving the recovery key...
  7. Harddrive got locked after installing SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Harddrive got locked after installing SSD: Hello All, I have ran into a problem yesterday. My 4 year old Dell Inspiron 5480 laptop was slow and I had to install SSD to improve the performance. But after installing the SSD and selecting the same for booting, my old HDD got locked. Now its asking for bitlocker key, but...
  8. Harddrive got locked after installing SSD

Harddrive got locked after installing SSD: Hello All, I have ran into a problem yesterday. My 4 year old Dell Inspiron 5480 laptop was slow and I had to install SSD to improve the performance. But after installing the SSD and selecting the same for booting, my old HDD got locked. Now its asking for bitlocker key, but...
  9. Harddrive got locked after installing SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. My ssd is locked with bitlocker, but I didn't turn it on. How to be sure it's my ssd or it...

My ssd is locked with bitlocker, but I didn't turn it on. How to be sure it's my ssd or it...: My laptop with Windows 11 died. I took it to a repair service and they said after 6 days it's dead for good and I bought a new laptop and put an ssd from the dead body to a new laptop.Now the ssd asks for a bitlocker key.I never activated bitlocker myself. The only...