Windows 10: Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

Discus and support Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am not able to cancel a temporary security change that I made to my Microsoft account while travelling because my 2nd factor id is my landline phone... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by IanMacRobie, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

I am not able to cancel a temporary security change that I made to my Microsoft account while travelling because my 2nd factor id is my landline phone and the only option for completing a security change is to have a text message sent to my phone to receive a code for id verification. This needs to be addressed before the change that I made on vacation - becomes permanent!

:)

IanMacRobie, Aug 20, 2021

2. Two step verification - code not sent to my landline

I have forgotten my password, and wish to reset.

I have two step verification, and receive a code on my mobile phone, but on the second step, for which I use my landline I don't receive the code.

I'm stuck !

There's mention of a 30 day process to regain entry to my account. How do I apply for this? Or is there an alternative.

I've tried the online chat, but it needs me to log in - which I can't!!

Any help gratefully received

Colin

ColinMuddiman1, Aug 20, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Google strengthening 2-Step Verification for Google account

Source: https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com...e-prompts.html

Brink, Aug 20, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

verify account

Microsoft account verification needs two verification methods to protect you. it's much easier to get access only to your email, especially if two-step verification is not used, than to get access both to your email and mobile or landline phone.

You don't need a mobile phone as verification method, a normal landline phone is OK, too. When setting up MS account security, selecting Call instead of Text you can enter a landline number:

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... [​IMG]

In fact, it is much safer to use a landline phone instead of mobile phone as verification method. This applies especially to those users who don't use passwords on laptops and mobile phones (yes, there still are such idiot careless users). If someone gets access to both laptop or tablet and mobile phone it would be relatively easy to get access to your account.

However, if you use your home number instead as secondary verification method, the criminal would additionally need access to your home.

I am afraid that you are not going to like this: in my opinion, if an MS account owner faces the excruciating 30 day delay in getting access to his / her account after verification with only one verification method, that user can only blame him/herself for not caring about account security before it's too late.

Personally, in addition to using two-step verification and Microsoft Authenticator app, I always add at least two verification email addresses and at least one mobile and one landline phone number as verification methods in all my half a dozen or so MS accounts. It is quite impossible for me to get locked out from my accounts!

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... [​IMG]

Thema:

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

1. Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... - Similar Threads - Locked factor security

2. Locked out of my laptop because I'm locked out of my email account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked out of my laptop because I'm locked out of my email account: Hi,I've recently been locked out of my personal windows account. I no longer have access to the recovery phone number because the account is 15 years old and frankly I dont use it. However I've used the email when I first got my lenovo laptop in order for me log into the...
  3. Resetting Account Password with a Landline Phone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Resetting Account Password with a Landline Phone: Hi! I'm trying to help my grandfather reset his computer and account password from 500 miles away. He's not very technologically literate, but he's managed to get to the account reset page. The problem we're having is that the phone number attached to his account is a...
  4. Security Issues in Two-step Verification

Security Issues in Two-step Verification: The issue: I changed my password for Microsoft about a month ago because my Spotify account was successfully logged into from Russia. I live in Tucson, AZ. Apparently that didn't raise a flag for them. I had been fairly lazy lately and had the same password for multiple...
  5. Two step verification - code not sent to my landline

Two step verification - code not sent to my landline: I have forgotten my password, and wish to reset. I have two step verification, and receive a code on my mobile phone, but on the second step, for which I use my landline I don't receive the code. I'm stuck ! There's mention of a 30 day process to regain entry to my...
  6. Locked out of my PC because of safemode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked out of my PC because of safemode: I restarted my PC in safemode to troubleshoot something and now my computer does not accept my lock screen PIN. It doesn't accept my Microsoft account password either. I've tried all the recommended troubleshooting advice but nothing has worked. I just want my PC back....
  7. Regedit locking out the command with Multi-factor authentication

Regedit locking out the command with Multi-factor authentication: Hello is there a way to lock out Regedit 100 percent even from administration accounts for higher levels with a Multi-factor authentication option? This was option was being used invasivly in the past. Also is there a way to run a regedit integrity check?...
  8. Mobile phone number used for 2 factor verification

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mobile phone number used for 2 factor verification: I can't use my mobile number for 2 factor verification as Microsoft reckons it is already registered to someone else. How can I resolve this please? Any advice will be gratefully received....
  9. Application of two factors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Application of two factors: Hello people as you are. There will be some two-factor authentication application that does not require a phone number to set it up and instead can be done from an email. submitted by /u/leninalbertolp [link] [comments]...
  10. Yubikey Two-Factor Authentication

Yubikey Two-Factor Authentication: Hi....I just purchased a " Yubikey " to use with the password manager LastPass and it works very well as a two-factor authentication. I sign on to my PC with my Microsoft account and would like to use the Yubikey as a two-factor there also. I can't seem to find a procedure at...