Windows 10: Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

Discus and support Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am not able to cancel a temporary security change that I made to my Microsoft account while travelling because my 2nd factor id is my landline phone... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by IanMacRobie, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

I am not able to cancel a temporary security change that I made to my Microsoft account while travelling because my 2nd factor id is my landline phone and the only option for completing a security change is to have a text message sent to my phone to receive a code for id verification. This needs to be addressed before the change that I made on vacation - becomes permanent!

:)

IanMacRobie, Aug 20, 2021

2. Two step verification - code not sent to my landline

I have forgotten my password, and wish to reset.

I have two step verification, and receive a code on my mobile phone, but on the second step, for which I use my landline I don't receive the code.

I'm stuck !

There's mention of a 30 day process to regain entry to my account. How do I apply for this? Or is there an alternative.

I've tried the online chat, but it needs me to log in - which I can't!!

Any help gratefully received

Colin

ColinMuddiman1, Aug 20, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Google strengthening 2-Step Verification for Google account

Source: https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com...e-prompts.html

Brink, Aug 20, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

verify account

Microsoft account verification needs two verification methods to protect you. it's much easier to get access only to your email, especially if two-step verification is not used, than to get access both to your email and mobile or landline phone.

You don't need a mobile phone as verification method, a normal landline phone is OK, too. When setting up MS account security, selecting Call instead of Text you can enter a landline number:

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... [​IMG]

In fact, it is much safer to use a landline phone instead of mobile phone as verification method. This applies especially to those users who don't use passwords on laptops and mobile phones (yes, there still are such idiot careless users). If someone gets access to both laptop or tablet and mobile phone it would be relatively easy to get access to your account.

However, if you use your home number instead as secondary verification method, the criminal would additionally need access to your home.

I am afraid that you are not going to like this: in my opinion, if an MS account owner faces the excruciating 30 day delay in getting access to his / her account after verification with only one verification method, that user can only blame him/herself for not caring about account security before it's too late.

Personally, in addition to using two-step verification and Microsoft Authenticator app, I always add at least two verification email addresses and at least one mobile and one landline phone number as verification methods in all my half a dozen or so MS accounts. It is quite impossible for me to get locked out from my accounts!

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... [​IMG]

Thema:

Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot...

1. Locked out of two-factor security verification because my phone is a landline which cannot... - Similar Threads - Locked factor security

2. Locked out of Two Factor Authentication

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of Two Factor Authentication: Hello, I have been locked out of two factor authentication and all the support is behind the authentication wall. I have not been able to reach anyone via the phone numbers, enterprise sales support or anything. Please tell me there is hope! THanks,...
  3. Locked out of Two Factor Authentication

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of Two Factor Authentication: Hello, I have been locked out of two factor authentication and all the support is behind the authentication wall. I have not been able to reach anyone via the phone numbers, enterprise sales support or anything. Please tell me there is hope! THanks,...
  4. My verification method is a landline

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My verification method is a landline: I have been bitlocked out of my laptop and can’t get the key because Microsoft doesn’t call landlines with a verification code anymore. I tried to add a new method but it takes 30 days so I recovered my account. Now I can’t add a new method because I have to wait an extra 30...
  5. My verification method is a landline

My verification method is a landline: I have been bitlocked out of my laptop and can’t get the key because Microsoft doesn’t call landlines with a verification code anymore. I tried to add a new method but it takes 30 days so I recovered my account. Now I can’t add a new method because I have to wait an extra 30...
  6. hours spent trying to get Verification code which is not being sent to Landline Home Phone...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    hours spent trying to get Verification code which is not being sent to Landline Home Phone...: Trying to get Verification code which is not being sent to Landline Home Phone. How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hours-spent-trying-to-get-verification-code-which/4c430f91-ab71-42e3-8a05-255eac9e7a86
  7. Locked out of my pc because I lost my phone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of my pc because I lost my phone: So my pc is locked because I cannot access my microsoft account not because I don't know the password to it, I do, but it demands that I verify who I am with a code on my long lost phone number which I don't have access to anymore The thing is, my microsoft account is my...
  8. Locked out of my pc because I lost my phone

Locked out of my pc because I lost my phone: So my pc is locked because I cannot access my microsoft account not because I don't know the password to it, I do, but it demands that I verify who I am with a code on my long lost phone number which I don't have access to anymore The thing is, my microsoft account is my...
  9. Two step verification - code not sent to my landline

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Two step verification - code not sent to my landline: I have forgotten my password, and wish to reset. I have two step verification, and receive a code on my mobile phone, but on the second step, for which I use my landline I don't receive the code. I'm stuck ! There's mention of a 30 day process to regain entry to my...
  10. Mobile phone number used for 2 factor verification

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mobile phone number used for 2 factor verification: I can't use my mobile number for 2 factor verification as Microsoft reckons it is already registered to someone else. How can I resolve this please? Any advice will be gratefully received....