Windows 10: locked partition D after reinstalling windows - encryption - bitlocker - do not have key

Discus and support locked partition D after reinstalling windows - encryption - bitlocker - do not have key in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i deleted the C: partition then re-created it to clean install windows 10 - build 1903 after which, i found that my D: partition has been locked and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ahmadsamir2, Oct 25, 2019.

1. locked partition D after reinstalling windows - encryption - bitlocker - do not have key

i deleted the C: partition then re-created it to clean install windows 10 - build 1903
    after which, i found that my D: partition has been locked and require a 48-digit key to be unlocked
    obviously, i did not do that encryption and i dont have the key and now iam stuck
    i disabled bitlocker from settings, but it did not work
    i retrieved the encryption key that is on microsoft account recovery key, but it is mismatching (had a different key ID that is requested by the message i face)

i dont know what generated the problem and cannot solve it
    there is a post in google that such a problem was frequently met with lenovo and dell
    is there a solution ???

:)

ahmadsamir2, Oct 25, 2019
  2. Sophie707 Win User

How to use Bitlocker to encrypt (and automatically decrypt) a single but partitioned hard-drive (C and D partitions)?

Hey Solar Eclipse,

I was brave enough today to enable Bitlocker on both my C: and D: partitions of my hard-drive.

Everything went well, following your instructions.

I enabled Bitlocker first on the C: partition (where Windows 10 is installed), and then on the D: partition.

While enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, the partition unlocked (and continues to unlock) automatically - a Bitlocker password was not requested.

Regards the D: partition, it also unlocks automatically - the wizard for enabling Bitlocker on the D: partition had automatic unlocking as an option, which I chose.

So other than not having to input a Bitlocker password while enabling Bitlocker on the C: partition, your instructions are exact. So I'm marking your post as an answer.

Many thanks!!

Sophie707, Oct 25, 2019
  3. Alex F Win User
    How to delete D drive encrypted by Bitlocker without password or recovery key?

There's a Dell PC running Windows 10 in my office that a previous user had that they created an encrypted D drive with Bitlocker. The guy has left and nobody has proper contact with them.

I don't care about the data on the D drive I just want to delete the drive off the PC. Steps I have already taken are:

• Reinstall Windows
    • Reset the PC with the options "Remove everything" and "Only drives where windows is installed"

When I chose the option "All drives" I get an error saying "There was a problem resetting your PC".

Can anyone provide instructions on how to delete the D drive encrypted with Bitlocker?

Alex F, Oct 25, 2019
  4. Sophie707 Win User

locked partition D after reinstalling windows - encryption - bitlocker - do not have key

How to use Bitlocker to encrypt (and automatically decrypt) a single but partitioned hard-drive (C and D partitions)?

I have a 2010 Fujutsu Lifebook T900 that originally came with a single unpartitoned 500GB hard-drive (labelled C) and Windows 7 Pro.

Shortly after purchase, using Windows 7 disk management, I partitoned the hard-drive into two equal partitions, C and D.

Only a few days ago, I upgraded to Windows 10 so I could encrypt the whole hard-drive (including its two partitions) using Bitlocker (Windows 7 Pro doesn't have Bitlocker).

I'd like a similar result to how Bitlocker works on my Microsoft Surface Book - ie, automatic Bitlocker decryption with a password at Windows login.

Is that possible with a partitioned hard-drive?

Based on online tutorials I reviewed, it seems only 1 partition could be encrypted at 1 time, and the Bitlocker password for decryption is separate from the Windows login password? Is that correct?

In other words, would I have to enter a separate password everytime I want to access my C drive, and the same for my D drive if I also encrypt that one with Bitlocker.

SO SUMMARY QUESTION:

Is it possible with Windows 10 to use Bitlocker on both the C and D partitions, and have them both unencrypt automatically, upon windows sign-in?
    Thanks!

Sophie707, Oct 25, 2019
Thema:

locked partition D after reinstalling windows - encryption - bitlocker - do not have key

1. locked partition D after reinstalling windows - encryption - bitlocker - do not have key - Similar Threads - locked partition reinstalling

2. Bitlocker encryption and windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption and windows reinstallation: Hi!I have a laptop with a 1TB HDD. I updated my OS from windows 10 Home to Pro retail, bound to my Microsoft account. I then encrypted my drive using Bitlocker. My question is, if I replace my device's HDD with an SSD internal drive and use my Windows 10 pro key to install...
  3. Bitlocker encryption and windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption and windows reinstallation: Hi!I have a laptop with a 1TB HDD. I updated my OS from windows 10 Home to Pro retail, bound to my Microsoft account. I then encrypted my drive using Bitlocker. My question is, if I replace my device's HDD with an SSD internal drive and use my Windows 10 pro key to install...
  4. Bitlocker encryption and windows reinstallation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker Key Encryption

Bitlocker Key Encryption: Hi team,My hard drive was bitlocker encrypted and the surprising thing is that I didn't even know how. For this reason i formatted the disk since I didn't have any choice. After formatting even if I am trying to recover the data, it is asking for the recovery key. Could you...
  6. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  7. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  8. After C: Windows Reset, Some folders in Bitlocker-Encrypted D: are still locked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After C: Windows Reset, Some folders in Bitlocker-Encrypted D: are still locked: After much pain trying to fix Windows Update using several tutorials, I reset Windows on C: partition. That worked nicely, and Update is working perfectly, as is everything else on C:My problem is with partition D: which is encrypted with bitlocker. After entering the...
  9. bitlocker locked my D: partition

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker locked my D: partition: my windows 10-x64-2004 got loaded, so I fresh installed a new one using a bootable USB, by delete and recreate C: and related partitions from the installation wizard after the fresh windows is fully installed, I found that the D partition my personal data got locked by...
  10. Bitlocker lock partition D:\ in my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker lock partition D:\ in my PC: Dear team support, This is Nguyen, I am an IT Vietnam, I need your support to resolve this problem with BitLocker. We use Dell Vostro 5481 windows 10 Home but right now, my user cannot access partition D:\ on them PC. Something is wrong in our PC, we are lost the key...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reinstall windows encripte drive pass and recovery key not working

2. reinstall and partition locked by bitlocker