Windows 10: Locked usb Drive.

Discus and support Locked usb Drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been trying to unlock this USB stick/drive. But all that happens is I get the message "this drive is write protected". This is mind numbing,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by teagurit, Jul 19, 2019.

1. teagurit Win User

Locked usb Drive.

I have been trying to unlock this USB stick/drive. But all that happens is I get the message "this drive is write protected". This is mind numbing, it hasn't even got a lock switch. I have tried formatting, deleting the files. Changing it to "shared", I have tried UNLOCKER programs from IOBIT and others. But they have worked either. I have also tried a few disk partition rescue programs, but none of them have worked. I have even thought about a big hammer??? All told, I am getting to the end of my tether. I hope someone can help?

:)

teagurit, Jul 19, 2019
  2. little cat, Jul 19, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jul 19, 2019
  4. thraxed Win User

Locked usb Drive.

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

Locked usb Drive.

1. Locked usb Drive. - Similar Threads - Locked usb Drive

2. BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking: I have Two BitLocker-enabled USB flash drives attached to my Windows 10 Pro PC. Both require me to enter the recovery key each time I rebook to PC, which I think is normal. However, one of them locks from time to time without rebooting, requiring me to enter the recovery key...
  3. BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking: I have Two BitLocker-enabled USB flash drives attached to my Windows 10 Pro PC. Both require me to enter the recovery key each time I rebook to PC, which I think is normal. However, one of them locks from time to time without rebooting, requiring me to enter the recovery key...
  4. BitLocker-enabled USB flash drive keeps locking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Task Manager Locks USB Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Locks USB Drives: When a USB drive is used on a Windows 11 computer, one must stop task manager in order to unplug the device. If you try to securely eject the disk while task manager is running, you will receive the message that the device cannot be stopped as a program still uses it. By...
  6. Task Manager Locks USB Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager Locks USB Drives: When a USB drive is used on a Windows 11 computer, one must stop task manager in order to unplug the device. If you try to securely eject the disk while task manager is running, you will receive the message that the device cannot be stopped as a program still uses it. By...
  7. Windows locks USB drives and can't eject

Windows locks USB drives and can't eject: Why is Windows so lame about this? I've seen a lot of posts about this but really no solutions. Simple task - eject a hard drive. Seems to be DSAService.exe and svchost.exe that are holding on to drives; happens more often than not. Please Microsoft can you fix this? It's...
  8. Drive Locked!

Drive Locked!: I used one of my drives to store all my personal files dating back to 2010. I used windows BitLocker to lock the drive as I was staying in a dorm and my housemates often used my laptop. I remember renaming the recovery key text file and storing it in some folder on C drive. I...
  9. USB drive has locked

USB drive has locked: Im getting a new pc and want to transfer some important documents via a usb stick. Whilst doing so i had a dialogue box come up saying something about administrater. I skipped this, and now i cant access the used drive- it tells me i have no access. There are other important...
  10. How To Lock A USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How To Lock A USB Drive: Unlike a memory card, the USB flash drive do not have a physical lock switch. Without using a password to access a USB drive, how else can I lock a USB drive, or just folder in the removable drive (for free)? I have a folder with my applications as backup. Most times...