Windows 10: Locked Word Files After Migrating from 7 to 10. How to open?

Discus and support Locked Word Files After Migrating from 7 to 10. How to open? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Migrated all my files from an older Windows 7 laptop to a new Windows 10 machine. The older one was running Office 2013 Pro. I backed up some Word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Carbo, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Carbo Win User

Locked Word Files After Migrating from 7 to 10. How to open?

Migrated all my files from an older Windows 7 laptop to a new Windows 10 machine. The older one was running Office 2013 Pro. I backed up some Word files that were encrypted. No problem, as I have the password. But the new laptop with the Office 365 trial I am using won't open the files and I don't see any option to unlock them using a password. Any suggestions?

:)

Carbo, Jan 21, 2017
  2. SoumakDas Win User

Cortana not showing in my lock screen after booting.

I updated from my windows 7 home premium to windows 10 home last year. Yesterday after upgrading to windows 10 anniversary update , I got almost all the features except that my Cortana is not coming in my lock screen when I boot my laptop, even though if
    I lock my computer after booting...Cortana shows up all of a sudden. But even though I have restarted many a times but still its not working.

Is it a problem for pc migrating from windows 7 to windows 10 ?

How to solve this problem , plz suggest !!

SoumakDas, Jan 21, 2017
  3. COM+ Applications under component Services

We just migrated a few computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After migration, ActivClient was failing to install. We had that issue on Windows 7 after migrating from x32 to x64 and the fix was to restore COM+. I tried the same fix on Windows 10 and all
    I get is Restore File is corrupt. I ran sfc/scannow and it didn't find any problem. Any ideas on what else do to?

VioletaVarela, Jan 21, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Have you checked the owner of the files they may be owned by the old sid and you may need to take ownership of them

Samuria, Jan 21, 2017
  5. Carbo Win User
    I have ownership of the files.

Ugh. Still battling this issue. Here's some additional details that might help.
    I backed up folders and files I needed to an external hard drive, from a laptop running Windows 7 and Office 2013. I dumped a bunch of Word files into a folder I labeled Desktop. Walked over to my shiny new Windows 10 machine, plugged the external drive into it to begin what I thought would be a quick process to restore the files and hours later I'm still trying. I can open and access Word files that aren't in that particular folder, but that folder is continually giving me permission denied errors. The font on the folder and all the files it contains are in green, too, which is probably indicative of a sharing-permission issue, I assume. I've tried changing all sorts of settings but still no go. It's not Office, since I can open most of the files. It's the one with the green fonts that are in that folder.
    Before I hammer the laptop to submission, any suggestions?

Carbo, Jan 22, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Have you checked folder and files for permissions they will inherit from the folder above

Samuria, Jan 22, 2017
  7. Carbo Win User
    I think I have. I have changed and played with every sharing and permissions option I can think of. Just now, for example, I again shared the entire folder. Then when I try open any Word file within the folder I receive the message: Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges.

Carbo, Jan 22, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Jan 22, 2017
  9. Carbo Win User
    Samuria, I appreciate your help with this. Thank you. Unfortunately I am still not gaining access even after installing the Take Ownership option. The folder in question has a lock icon on it, as does every file within it. I also noticed when I open Word the menu on the left side of the program is greyed out: Save, Save As, Print, Share, Export, and Close aren't accessible for any of the files within the problem folder. However, with any of the other Word docs that I am able open and read, they are visible. Seems to me an encryption issue, but I don't see an option to enter a password.

Carbo, Jan 22, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    Did you take ownership of the folder and files? on properties of the folder or files is there a unblock bottom right?

Samuria, Jan 22, 2017
  11. Carbo Win User
    Yes, I took ownership of the folder and files, but it changed nothing. I checked the unblock button but, again, no difference.
    I also just noticed that all the files inside this folder are locked. Not only the Word files but also the PDFs and MP3s.

Carbo, Jan 22, 2017
  12. Carbo Win User
    Further investigation leads me to believe I screwed up royally. I encrypted one Word file about a month ago. I know the password. But somehow an entire folder has become encrypted, leaving me in the lurch. Compounding the problem is that the laptop running Windows 7 where the file was password protected had the hard drive wiped and Windows 7 clean installed. So from what I can gather from talking to folks and searching the 'net is that the folder cannot be cracked. It has nothing to do with sharing permissions.

Carbo, Jan 22, 2017
  13. Locked Word Files After Migrating from 7 to 10. How to open?

Aye, a green folder or file name means it was encrypted at the file system level. The only way to unencrypt that data is from the same installed system that encrypted it.

The password protection Word provides is separate, it would not change the color of the folder or file name in Explorer.

logicearth, Jan 25, 2017
  14. Carbo Win User
    Yeah, I'm pretty much effed. I have checked numerous sources and that is the conclusion. The big mystery, of course, is how that folder became encrypted in the first place, since I never did it. *sarc

Carbo, Jan 25, 2017
  15. Samuria Win User
    Is it possible you have been infected by random ware if so it will continue to encrypt more files

Samuria, Jan 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Locked Word Files After Migrating from 7 to 10. How to open? - Similar Threads - Locked Word Files

2. Data file migration from Windows 7 to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data file migration from Windows 7 to Windows 11: I am in the process of transferring data files from a Win7 PC to a Win11 PC. The WIN 11 files are located on the "D" drive.Did I make a mistake in placing them there?I doesn't seem as if they are found when I click on the the icon for Pictures. Did I make a mistake in...
  3. Data file migration from Windows 7 to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data file migration from Windows 7 to Windows 11: I am in the process of transferring data files from a Win7 PC to a Win11 PC. The WIN 11 files are located on the "D" drive.Did I make a mistake in placing them there?I doesn't seem as if they are found when I click on the the icon for Pictures. Did I make a mistake in...
  4. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  5. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  6. Migrating program from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating program from Windows 7 to Windows 10: In the many years I used Windows 7, I ran a freeware program Talking Alarm Clock byCinnamon Software. It is a valuable little program which I have tried unsuccessfully to install in my new Windows 10 PC. To begin with, trying to download it fromcinnamon.com is impossible,...
  7. Migration from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Migration from Win 7 to Win 10: I get message saying " Undoing changes made to your computer" when I do the migration Actually it appears at the last part of the process on black screen... By the way, I use boot from flash drive where win10 image stored in. Plus, I migrated many computers in my...
  8. migrating Word custom spanish dictionary from Windows 7 to Windows 10

migrating Word custom spanish dictionary from Windows 7 to Windows 10: I have a large custom dictionary in Word loaded on Windows 7 enterprise. I have tried migrating it to Windows 10 and keep failing to do this correctly. Even though I see that ithe custom dictionary is installed (I can open it and see the words), when I type the words in a...
  9. Cannot migrate from 7 to 10 !!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot migrate from 7 to 10 !!!!!!!!!!!: After much fuss, I have windows 10 working successfully on my laptop. Being so pleased with W10, I decided to install/upgrade to W10 on my main Desktop PC. Easy? - NO !!!!!!!!!!!! However I try to install, I meet failure messages. Tried the upgrade from windows method -...
  10. Answer File migration from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Answer File migration from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Good Day, Hoping someone can shed some light. We are moving towards a Windows 10 Enterprise upgrade in the near future, and planning on deployment steps. We currently have a highly customized Windows 7 Answer file created, which took much time to work out all the...