Windows 10: Locking PC Then Sign In causes windows to all be moved off second monitor

Discus and support Locking PC Then Sign In causes windows to all be moved off second monitor in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Earlier this week a Windows Update has caused my desktop to behave odd. Before running updates it behaved as expected. If I lock my pc via [Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mxmissile, Jun 14, 2019.

1. mxmissile Win User

Locking PC Then Sign In causes windows to all be moved off second monitor

Earlier this week a Windows Update has caused my desktop to behave odd. Before running updates it behaved as expected.

If I lock my pc via [Windows Key] - L and let my pc sit for a few minutes and sign back in, all the windows are moved, rearranged and resized to the left screen (I have 2 monitors), how do I prevent this from happening?

I've tried disabling putting "screens" to sleep in the Power configuration, this had no effect.

I've tried this, had no effect.

Anyone know which update could have caused this so I can hopefully un-install it?

:)

mxmissile, Jun 14, 2019
  2. Ed Funk Win User

Microsoft Family Time Limit Lock Moves My Windows Off My Second Monitor

I was finally able to get time on my child's computer and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Then I waited until the scenario causing the issue came up (Microsoft Family locked the computer at the designated time). When it did, the next time my child
    logged on after Microsoft Family locked his computer the previous evening, all the same things happened—the application windows on the second monitor all moved back to the first monitor and couldn’t be accessed/sized/moved/clicked, and the apps needed to be
    shut down and restarted.

I'm not sure how a Windows Update Troubleshooter would be the solution for such a problem, since the issue isn't with Windows Update. Please advise what step(s) I should take to resolve
    this issue, rather than generic suggestions such as Windows Update Troubleshooter, reboot, clean temp files, etc. As always, any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Ed Funk, Jun 14, 2019
  3. second monitor

Hi Pauline,

Some of the advantages of having multiple screens (dual monitor) are it increases your productivity or it allows you to do multitasking. When awaking your PC after putting it to sleep, it will be directed at the sign in page. Normally,
    the second monitor will just reflect black screen and the main monitor will reflect the sign in page. After signing in, your second monitor will automatically open if it is turned on.

If the second monitor doesn’t turn on, we recommend that you run the Power troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Click the Start button, then type Control Panel and then press
      Enter.
    • Change the View by option on the top-right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting, and click on the View all option on the left pane.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, kindly refer to the resolution provided by
    breadbox88 in this
    thread
    and check if it will help you with the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Efraim Gar, Jun 14, 2019
  4. Locking PC Then Sign In causes windows to all be moved off second monitor

Second Monitor

Hi David,

Some of the advantages of having multiple screens (dual monitor) are it increases your productivity or it allows you to do multitasking. When awaking your PC after putting it to sleep, it will be directed at the sign in page. Normally,
    the second monitor will just reflect black screen and the main monitor will reflect the sign in page. After signing in, your second monitor will automatically open if it is turned on.

If the second monitor doesn’t turn on, we recommend that you run the
    Power troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Click the Start button, then type Control Panel and then press Enter.
    • Change the View by option on the top-right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting, and click on the View all option on the left pane.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, kindly refer to the resolution provided by breadbox88 in this thread and
    check if it will help you with the issue.

Update us with the outcome.

Efraim Gar, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

Locking PC Then Sign In causes windows to all be moved off second monitor

1. Locking PC Then Sign In causes windows to all be moved off second monitor - Similar Threads - Locking Sign causes

2. Active windows all moved to main monitor after sleep/off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active windows all moved to main monitor after sleep/off: In a late reply to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/active-windows-all-moved-to-main-monitor-after/42396920-908c-486f-800b-ff4035337b35 and the very arrogant answer from MikeWillis...
  3. Active windows all moved to main monitor after sleep/off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Active windows all moved to main monitor after sleep/off: In a late reply to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/active-windows-all-moved-to-main-monitor-after/42396920-908c-486f-800b-ff4035337b35 and the very arrogant answer from MikeWillis...
  4. Second monitor flickering on and off on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    Second monitor flickering on and off on Windows PC: [IMG]If you have a two-monitor setup and the second monitor on your Windows 11/10 system is flickering on and off, then this post offers some helpful suggestions to successfully resolve the issue. Why is the second monitor flickering on and off on my computer? In reality, the...
  5. Windows are being moved to second monitor when I turn off first monitor

Windows are being moved to second monitor when I turn off first monitor: I have two monitors hooked up to my GTX 1070 via displayport. If I have windows opened on one monitor, lets say chrome and word for example, when I turn off just that one monitor, all the windows that were on there are moved onto the other monitor. I also have another virtual...
  6. Dual monitors setup - items on second monitor move to first monitor when they turn off

Dual monitors setup - items on second monitor move to first monitor when they turn off: Hello,I have a dual monitor setup 2k 144hz and the following problem:Windows 10 Pro is set to turn them off after 10 mins of inactivity; whenever it does this, whatever I had on the second monitor browser windows, apps etc. gets moved to the first screen, so when I come back...
  7. How to 'lock' program to second monitor so it doesn't move?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to 'lock' program to second monitor so it doesn't move?: I've looked around for answers without much success, but maybe I missed something. I've only seen Fences, DisplayFusion, and the like brought up. Currently, when my PC isn't in sleep mode, but monitors are asleep, my programs get forced over to the primary monitor for some...
  8. Help Locking PC monitor off on off problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Locking PC monitor off on off problem: When i lock my Win 10 PC using Windows key + L , it goes to the lock screen as normal then after a minute the monitor turns off to standby. Shortly later the screens powers back up to the lockscreen login prompt before going back to standby and it not happening again. My...
  9. icons moved to second monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    icons moved to second monitor: overnight the icons of my desktop have moved to to my external monitor that is set as extended . How could I move them back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-moved-to-second-monitor/586f72c2-8aa9-49c8-96e6-d307adad9131
  10. Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual displays: Application windows in second monitor are all moved to primary monitor after...: I have a dual monitor setup and I use an application (ninjatrader) that includes multiple windows. If I position all the windows where I want them (i.e. so that they're all visible in the right places, non are overlapping etc.), but then power down the monitors at night so...