Windows 10: Locking the display order of sub-folders inside a folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Locking the display order of sub-folders inside a folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am sure this has been asked before and I have been through at least 20 different methods that say it can be done but so far I am not having much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, May 21, 2020.

1. Locking the display order of sub-folders inside a folder in Windows 10

I am sure this has been asked before and I have been through at least 20 different methods that say it can be done but so far I am not having much luck.

I would like to be able to set up a windows folder with sub-folders organized as i prefer them and always find the folders arranged in that manner every time i go there. To take this one step further, i had someone ask me if it could be done even if some of the items were not folders., In other words a mix of sub-folders and documents that need to always be displayed in a specific order even if that meant a document file was interspersed within the sub-folders

After much tinkering around with places I'd rather not tinker I have not made any progress at all. The only way I can see this ever working would be if I could set the folder contents to be sorted by one of the other file tags but access to make changes to that information is difficult at best and impossible for some items because not all items are allowed to have the same tags. Is there a tag i could use that way that can be used with all folders as well as some file types? The file types would probably always be .pdf but could be .docx.

It would seem that there should be a way to set the the display order as desired and then lock that and be able to do so without any artificial keys such a using 1. 2. 3. in front of the items. Even that doesn't work if the folder needs to have a mix of sub-folders with document files which does happen in many cases.

Is there perhaps some third party utility I could get that would be able to make this work as needed on the group of folders that i need to keep organized in a specific order. Not always ascending, descending or even alphabetical Just files and folders organized as i need them to be seen? Perhaps an alternative to File Explorer? As long as i can open any folder and see everything in it organized exactly as i left it
    i might be able to deal with a different Explorer App.

:)

questorfla, May 21, 2020
  2. AddSub Win User

Free Folder Lock?

panchoman, dude?

HiddenStupid, this might work. (not sure if it works on NTFS)

Hide Folder HiBit lock 7.2.8

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/Hide-Folder-HiBit-lock.shtml

· Protect any folder or file by : Hide, Lock, Encrypt or make a folder as a recycle Bin.
    · The protected folders or files still protected even in other computers.
    · The protect Operation just take 1 second at any computer.
    · You can undelete the folder or file by Locking it.
    · Works with FAT32, FAT16, FAT12 and FAT and all windows versions.

10 runs trial and nag screen until registration. Registration is free

So, freeware after free registration.

Plenty more "lock folder" apps on Softpedia, very few that can hide AND lock.

AddSub, May 21, 2020
  3. Free Folder Lock?

Is there a free Folder Lock?

I know that windows has feature that can make your folders invisible but it dont lock right?

I am seeking a program that lock folder and make it invisible but free. is there exist? or only the pay ones?

HiddenStupid, May 21, 2020
  4. Locking the display order of sub-folders inside a folder in Windows 10

Folder locked and dissapeared after unlock

Well here's something i found on this:

Lost my files in Folder Lock

But it doesn't work here , i don't have that folder.

Can somebody help me searching for a solution , tnx.

EDIT:

I did that and that's when the folder just disappeared but the data is still there, the program is very confusing about restoring files , it says that "files should become unlocked automatically" ... so where the heck are manual unlocking instructions.

It's not an encrypt , it's just a password lock , so data is all open. The problem is, i would get like 225 GB of individual files off the HDD recovery , i just want the harder way of accessing the folder but getting the folder structure , where can i find the time to SORT 220 GB of data omg.

RuskiSnajper, May 21, 2020
Thema:

Locking the display order of sub-folders inside a folder in Windows 10

1. Locking the display order of sub-folders inside a folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Locking display order

2. Windows permissions in sub folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows permissions in sub folders: Hi! I have a folder in windows and this folder contains sub folders. I want to allow group of users to view the files in the main folder but deny them to drag a folder inside another folder. And I want this group to have full control permissions inside all the sub...
  3. Windows permissions in sub folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows permissions in sub folders: Hi! I have a folder in windows and this folder contains sub folders. I want to allow group of users to view the files in the main folder but deny them to drag a folder inside another folder. And I want this group to have full control permissions inside all the sub...
  4. Windows permissions in sub folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DriverStore - Folder and sub-folders deleted: I'm working on a machine, Dell Vostro 230 running V1803. All attempts to update to a more current version fail with error relating to bad path. I also noticed I cannot update any driver even if I download drivers direct from Dell. So I investigated and the DriverStore...
  6. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  7. Ordering folder contents and the contens inside of those folders.

Ordering folder contents and the contens inside of those folders.: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  8. Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort parent folders based on sub folder date modified order: When selecting Onedrive local storage to sort by date modified, it seems Windows take in to consideration only the immediate layer. 0th layer I guess. how to trigger parent folder modified date when the modification happens higher levels where layer is greater than 0....
  9. Sorting files inside sub folders

Sorting files inside sub folders: I have a bunch of pdf's in 29 folders. And I need them to stay in those folders but I also need to see all the files inside these folders sorted by date added/modified. Is this possible? Almost as if I could search "pdf:date modified" in the folder containing all 29 sub...
  10. sub folders in windows 10 mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sub folders in windows 10 mail: Is there a way to set up subfolders in windows 10 mail? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/sub-folders-in-windows-10-mail/b0aa4582-346e-40a8-917b-a1ad6fb5b3cd