Windows 10: Locking the file explorer

Discus and support Locking the file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a very large number of previously recovered files. My goal is to organize the files in groups to aid in collating them. I wish to modify the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by c1sanford, Nov 29, 2020.

1. c1sanford Win User

Locking the file explorer

I have a very large number of previously recovered files. My goal is to organize the files in groups to aid in collating them. I wish to modify the files by changing them by the categories displayed in the W10 file explorer. To do this I have created a third party macro to consecutively make changes to the category (ie, title) of each of the files. I'm finding that the macro can easily do this. The macro unfortunately gets obstructed by the file explorer periodically reorganizing the order of the files. The end result is that the files end up being in a disorderly mislabeled fashion, a chaotic mess. Therefore I would like to be able to lock the order of the files before running the macro.
    At this writing I have been unable to find out how the file explorer order can be prevented from automatically reorganizing the files. I found one posting that indicated that the file explorer can be locked to prevent reorganizing of folders, but not the files themselves. Another posting stated that Microsoft had eliminated locking folders now. The question becomes is file order locking ever been possible? If so how is this done? Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. Tnx

:)

c1sanford, Nov 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Nov 29, 2020
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Locking the file explorer - Similar Threads - Locking file explorer

2. File Explorer locks up in Home section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer locks up in Home section: When select File Explorer it goes to Home and say working on it but nothing happens and it locks up. If I right click on the icon and select anything else it seems to work...
  3. File Explorer locks up in Home section

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer locks up in Home section: When select File Explorer it goes to Home and say working on it but nothing happens and it locks up. If I right click on the icon and select anything else it seems to work...
  4. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  5. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  6. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File explorer locks my all the files

File explorer locks my all the files: Whenever I make a new file. The file explorer locks my file. All the times I have tried many things. Help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-locks-my-all-the-files/abc2a82a-2a76-436b-8024-7bfd823309b5
  8. Windows Explorer locking up with new files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer locking up with new files: Hello. Occasionally, when I am writing a new large file such as a video file, Windows Explorer will lock up on me when I access the folder. Until I go into Safe Mode and delete the offending file, I can access the folder momentarily before it locks up again. I can sometimes...
  9. Win10 File explorer sub menus locks up explorer after latest update

Win10 File explorer sub menus locks up explorer after latest update: open file explorer>right click on a file>Submenu opens>explorer freezes ribbon is also never finishing parse. Anywhere to report? makes explorer essentially useless...
  10. The Recent Files section of File Explorer allows me to open files from a locked,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Recent Files section of File Explorer allows me to open files from a locked,...: I have an USB-powered external hard drive connected to my Windows 10 computer. One of the partitions on the hard drive is Bitlocker protected, requiring a password to access. If I thereafter lock the drive or restart the computer (thereby re-locking the drive automatically),...