Windows 10: Locking up on update installation

Discus and support Locking up on update installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, I have a Samsung laptop running windows 8.1 which I am trying to update to Windows 10. The update downloads fine, installs as it should and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by scottvsaunders, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Locking up on update installation

Hey,

I have a Samsung laptop running windows 8.1 which I am trying to update to Windows 10. The update downloads fine, installs as it should and then reboots my machine as if it wants to start into Windows 10 for the first time.

The problem I face is that the machine seems to lock up on the blue windows 10 logo, the hard drive stops spinning on the laptop and nothing happens.

The only thing that you can do is crash the machine by switching off the power, the laptop then boots back into Windows 8.1 as if it was never upgraded

Whats going on and more importantly how can it be solved?

Anyone offer any advise?

Thanks

Scott

:)

scottvsaunders, Aug 21, 2015

2. Windows 10 Creator update installation locking up.

You will have to fix it, my friend.

Please answer-by-number, preferably without quoting my post:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

3. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the
    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    ?

6. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
      key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 21, 2015
  3. primeval1 Win User
    Windows 10 Creator update installation locking up.

Windows 10 Creator update installation locking up at 45% and 87%. Update failed attempt to recover installation then reinstalled previous Windows version. While attempting this installation Anti-virus software Real Time Scanning and Firewall turned off,
    Windows Defender and Limited Periodic Scanning off. Please fix it Microsoft.

primeval1, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Locking up on update installation

Hello,
    I would try to do a System Restore to before you had tried installing Windows 10 for the first time then.
    Go here and download and install Windows 10.
    Windows 10

1029rjmenvy17t, Aug 21, 2015
  5. This is so random - seem to effect Samsung users from 2011 , apparently it's all down to a problem with the wireless adapter and the various forums suggest you remove the card whist booting.

I have created a new dvd from the windows ISO and tried to boot / install that way however it locks up on the same blue window .

Crazy stuff and a definite problem that Samsung must be aware of.

Scott

scottvsaunders, Aug 22, 2015
  6. Hello,
    I think your problem is the DVD some internal disc drives cant read DVD from windows even made by you;
    I had a old dv7 from HP that had the same problem which was at the time Windows 8

I would make the Windows ISO on to a USB Flash Drive from the link I sent you; that should work
    you just need one of at least 5GB

If that still does not work then come on back and will try some more things*Huh

1029rjmenvy17t, Aug 22, 2015
  7. Cheers fella.

I tried that first however no matter what I did the laptop just would not boot up from the usb.

The same usb worked fine of my work laptop.

Bloody thing !

scottvsaunders, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Locking up on update installation

Hello,
    Ok have you tried booting it from boot device options?
    I don't know if Samsung PCs have this because I have HP but you might have legacy boot
    and if you do enable that in your BIOS then try to boot to the flash drive threw Boot Device Options

1029rjmenvy17t, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Locking up on update installation

1. Locking up on update installation - Similar Threads - Locking update installation

2. new clean install of win11 locks up when updating certain drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new clean install of win11 locks up when updating certain drivers: HiI upgraded to win11 about a month ago, did a clean install. working well overall but I have an issue I cant sort out. the machine will lock up at certain times and only a hard reset will resolve the issue. here's what I've noticedI first saw it when windows would lock up...
  3. new clean install of win11 locks up when updating certain drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new clean install of win11 locks up when updating certain drivers: HiI upgraded to win11 about a month ago, did a clean install. working well overall but I have an issue I cant sort out. the machine will lock up at certain times and only a hard reset will resolve the issue. here's what I've noticedI first saw it when windows would lock up...
  4. Windows 11 Update locks up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Update locks up: I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 11. I have had no problems with running Windows Updates until yesterday. The Update called "2022-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5011563.It stopped running at 61%. Rebooting does not help, but I did find a...
  5. Windows 11 Update locks up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Update locks up: I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 11. I have had no problems with running Windows Updates until yesterday. The Update called "2022-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5011563.It stopped running at 61%. Rebooting does not help, but I did find a...
  6. New W10 Pro installation locks up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New W10 Pro installation locks up.: Hi, Running 20H2 build 19042.867 Recently did a complete re installation on a news SSD From time to time it just stops. I have a few DCOM errors but one error pointed to possibly the Windows Driver Foundation so I went hunting. I cannot find WUDFSVC.dll on this...
  7. Windows 10 updates locked up laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 updates locked up laptop: Hello, I have a laptop that is useless now, had to buy a new one to pay bills. Seems the last updates made the graphics incompatible so all I am able to reach is the bios page. Luckily the December 5 updates were given me similar troubles so I backed up files on a separate...
  8. after install may update system randomly locks up how to stop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    after install may update system randomly locks up how to stop?: i have older lappy a hp Probook 6555b after i installed the may 2019 update it randomly locks up any way to stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-install-may-update-system-randomly-locks-up/df4d6fe8-61c3-49c4-9054-4fff1c808ac0
  9. KB4467702 Update won't install, computer freezes then locks up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4467702 Update won't install, computer freezes then locks up: A week or two ago my computer tried to do an update but it was late at night and I didn't want the computer on so I tried to shut it down, it didn't want to shutdown so I forcibly powered it down (held power button till it shutoff). Since then it won't finish installing...
  10. Windows won't update, locks computer up

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows won't update, locks computer up: I've been working on my wife's computer that has had Win10 for the last several months. Her computer completely refuses to update Windows anymore. The updates will get stuck downloading at 0% even overnight and it uses up so much of the system resources that the computer...