Windows 10: Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in.

Discus and support Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This bug has been present in windows 10 for years, however ms devs have never addressed it. Seeing the same problem in build 1903 has finally driven me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by 3dWrecker, May 24, 2019.

1. 3dWrecker Win User

Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in.

This bug has been present in windows 10 for years, however ms devs have never addressed it. Seeing the same problem in build 1903 has finally driven me nuts.

The bug:

I am the only user and have administrator rights. However on boot-up winlogon shows the default lockscreen image instead of the one I have set in settings. After logging in and then locking the correct lockscreen image is displayed. This is NOT a problem with group policy overrides and occurs on both Win 10 Home and Pro.

How to replicate:

(This is where I think I have found a breakthrough in determining the cause of this bug as no-one mentions it in linked articles below.)

1. Create a fresh install of windows 10 Home (I used a VM purposely created to chase down this bug) with a single offline admin account (we'll call it Account).

2. Set the lockscreen to a non default image (anything to differentiate it from built in windows images).

3. Create a new offline user account (we'll call it Test).

4. Give Test admin rights.

5. Sign out of Account and log in to Test.

6. From Test set a lockscreen image different to Account or just leave it as default.

7. Log out of test.

8. The lockscreen will now be that of the Test account. Select Account, the background will now change to that of Account. All is well...

9. Sign in to Account and delete the Test account. Reboot and voila, there is the lockscreen image from the supposedly deleted Test account.

After pouring over two registry backups I found that

"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName=Account"

had been changed to

"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DefaultUserName=". The string had been scraped.

Likewise with "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon".

After changing the values of the strings back to "Account" I expected the issue to be fixed but no luck.

Please help bring this to Microsofts attention by upvoting the Feedback.

Thanks.

Others with the same problem.

https://mergy.org/2016/05/fixing-the-windows-10-pre-login-background-screen/

https://superuser.com/questions/1322877/windows-10-lock-screen-background-different-on-startup

https://www.tenforums.com/customization/61033-lock-screen-image-wrong.html

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ws-wrong-image-win-10?forum=win10itprogeneral

:)

3dWrecker, May 24, 2019
  2. gmopro Win User

Lockscreen - windows spotlight image

Can you only have the windows spotlight image and comments on the lockscreen or on the log in screen? , but not both?

This seems to be the case for me. I can see it on the lockscreen and also the comments there, but then i hit a key and the log in screen is just boring green. Is there a way to see the image on both screens? i can get it on one or the other by deselecting
    or selecting 'show background preview on log in screen.' Guess it can only be on one of them. at least i can now see the comments with the photo on the same page!

gmopro, May 24, 2019
  3. mtarunsai Win User
    lockscreen images

When I first started using my laptop, it showed different types of images on my lockscreen. I liked as I get to see a new image every time. But my brother has set a stupid image as lockscreen image. Now I can do nothing but to settle with the images I have
    in my laptop. Can anyone please help me with this.

mtarunsai, May 24, 2019
  4. fdegrove Win User

System Image Problem

Hi Nick,

No need to stress.
    Since the dl of the windows install media failed twice in a row already we are going to do as Bill suggests.
    No use wasting another day on it at this point.

Here is a description of the steps to follow:

- Connect the external drive that contains the Macrium images we made.

-Boot off of the Macrium rescue CD. Make the necessary changes in bios so booting from CD is the highest on the boot order priority list or use the machine's bootmenu (Fn key ? ) to select to boot off of CD.

- From within Macrium select restore. Browse for image 0_SysRes etc. and load it in Macrium.

- Select the drive to restore to: your c: drive. Make sure it is the correct drive. Only one internal drive should be connected at this point.

-Drag and drop the loaded backup image to the beginning of the C:\ partition. It must be fully at the left of the partition.

- Click restore and confirm.

- Once it has finished close Macrium. It will automatically reboot.

-Boot again off of the CD.

-Macrium loads and select restore again.

-Browse for and select 1_Windows from the backup drive. Select the same destination drive and drag and drop it right next to the small partition we just restored. Click restore, confirm the overwrite and let it finish.

-Again close Macrium and reboot once more off of the cd.

-In Macrium on the top left hand side there a menu option that reads something along these lines (I'll load it in a few minutes to verify and correct if necessary) : "Fix Windows boot problems".
    Click it.

-Let it finish and reboot off the main hard drive this time.

- Cross your fingers and hopefully Windows will start up.

I suggest not doing this immediately. I hope Bill will have a look at the suggested steps and correct any if need be.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, May 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in. - Similar Threads - Lockscreen image wrong

2. Logged in with correct password but after it says "Something Went wrong, 0x80048823,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logged in with correct password but after it says "Something Went wrong, 0x80048823,...: I was one day logged out of my account, I tried logging back in like normal and it said "Something Went wrong, 0x80048823, please try again later " can anyone help me resolve this issue?...
  3. Logged in with correct password but after it says "Something Went wrong, 0x80048823,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Logged in with correct password but after it says "Something Went wrong, 0x80048823,...: I was one day logged out of my account, I tried logging back in like normal and it said "Something Went wrong, 0x80048823, please try again later " can anyone help me resolve this issue?...
  4. Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in [Solved]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in [Solved]: I used to have that error, but I somehow managed to fix it, heres what i did:Yes, you can also use Task Scheduler to achieve setting a default lock screen image. Here's an example of how you can accomplish this:Prepare the lock screen image: Ensure that the image you want to...
  5. Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in [Solved]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in [Solved]: I used to have that error, but I somehow managed to fix it, heres what i did:Yes, you can also use Task Scheduler to achieve setting a default lock screen image. Here's an example of how you can accomplish this:Prepare the lock screen image: Ensure that the image you want to...
  6. Lockscreen image is wrong on reboot but correct after first log-in [Solved]

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Lockscreen Image is not changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lockscreen Image is not changing: My lock screen image is not changing anymore. I tried every method searching on internet but none solve it. Windows spotlight image is not changing when i start computer every day....
  8. Wrong Picture On Lockscreen

Wrong Picture On Lockscreen: Hi all, I have put Christmas pictures on my wife's computer (Same spec as mine). She wanted both the lock screen and the desktop pictures to change daily. I accomplished that alright but when the computer boots to the place where it wants the password input instead of a...
  9. Wrong Picture On Lockscreen

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong Picture On Lockscreen: Hi all, I have put Christmas pictures on my wife's computer (Same spec as mine). She wanted both the lock screen and the desktop pictures to change daily. I accomplished that alright but when the computer boots to the place where it wants the password input instead of a...
  10. Windows 10 Lockscreen Showing Wrong Image

Windows 10 Lockscreen Showing Wrong Image: After I select the image I would like as a lock screen, the image displayed is not what I have selected. The picture I choose does show in the preview but does not actually show. It seems to show old lock screens that I have had? I am on the picture option (not slideshow) and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lock screen after reboot