Windows 10: Lockscreen not timing out when laptop lid closed + external display connected

Discus and support Lockscreen not timing out when laptop lid closed + external display connected in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have recently switched from MacOS to Windows 10, and am now experiencing a usability problem. Often I use my laptop as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sneets, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Sneets Win User

Lockscreen not timing out when laptop lid closed + external display connected

Hello everyone,

I have recently switched from MacOS to Windows 10, and am now experiencing a usability problem.

Often I use my laptop as a secondary device while at work, keeping the lid closed and using an external monitor + Wireless Keyboard/Mouse.

In energy options, I selected "Do Nothing when lid is closed" in order to be able to close the lid while working.

Problem: When the lid is closed, and I lock my PC Win+L, the lock screen does not time out. It just stays on, no matter if the lockscreen timeout or even the display timeout is reached.

I tried the following scenarios:

1 Lid CLOSED, external display in use: No lockscreen timeout happening

2 Lid OPEN, internal and external display ENABLED in display settings: lockscreen timing out after 60 seconds, as should be

3 Lid OPEN, internal display DISABLED in display settings "Only Show Desktop on Display 2": lockscreen timing out after 60 seconds, as should be

So the state of the internal display being on or off does not affect the problem, the closed lid seems to be the only factor leading to it.

Anyone have an idea how to solve this? I already checked energy settings, everything fine there. Is this maybe a Bug?

Thank you!

Markus

:)

Sneets, Apr 6, 2020

2. Upscaling incorrectly when closing the lid & connecting an external display on UHD laptops

Hi,

I have realised that when I connect an external display (projector in my case) and close the lid of my laptop, Windows upscales the desktop incorrecty i.e. icons etc are zoomed 3/4 times covering the whole display area. If I restart the laptop with the lid
    closed / external display connected, the issue is gone. I believe this was an issue on Windows 8 as well.

I can see that windows recognises the diplay correctly Benq MW516 or 18 projector and I do know for a fact that there is nothing wrong with the projector as I have used it with windows 7, Mac OSX with no issues.

My Laptop's native resolution is 2880 x 1620 and I have not touched the windows default scaling options.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

I would really appreciate if Microsoft can resolve this issue once for all.

Thanks in advance.

Bets Regards,

Ves

Ves Akbayir, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Miao Hua Win User
    Windows 10 external monitor with lid closed but only when connected

I think what we want here is:

With external display - Close the lid WON'T put the laptop into sleep mode.

Without external display - Close the lid WILL put the laptop into sleep mode.

So you can't just set the lid option to "Do Nothing" or something else because there are two different scenarios here.

I noticed that this question was posted in 2015 and it's 2017 now. I can't see anything in the recent updates. What I'll suggest here is go and buy a mac.

Miao Hua, Apr 6, 2020
  4. ekeda Win User

Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

Yep, it's on "do nothing", but this disappears when you use the hack since it basically kind of disables the lid functionality feeding it with the wrong driver.

It seems there is no easy workaround (maybe disable/enable the internal display driver on startup someone on another forum has suggested, but I haven't tested) for this if you want to use duplicate or extended display and you want to use the sleep function with closed screen.

But if you make your second display (the external monitor) your main and restart after that the lag is gone with Windows starting and applying this setting before loading its processes. I didn't restarted the first time because I thought it will instantly change with no lag, which is not the case.

So, the sum up for people ending up here in the future is this:
    1) If you want duplicate/extended display and ability to close/open the lid without laptop turning the screen off, but not being able to use the sleep function with closed screen -> use the hack
    2) If you want to use sleep with closed lid you have to use only the external display, making it your main (see picture below -> select "show only on") and restart after that

Lockscreen not timing out when laptop lid closed + external display connected expand-duplicate-monitors-windows-10.jpg

ekeda, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Lockscreen not timing out when laptop lid closed + external display connected - Similar Threads - Lockscreen timing laptop

2. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  3. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  4. Time Zone changing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Time Zone changing when laptop lid is closed: The time changes to EST from MST every time my laptop lid is closed. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-zone-changing-when-laptop-lid-is-closed/2a1f0705-c074-42d3-a565-628bedd6549e
  5. Apps closing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Apps closing when laptop lid is closed: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface and all my open apps force close when the laptop lid has been closed overnight. I've checked all previous solutions posted on this site and nothing works. Very Annoying, can someone help resolve asap? ? It really shouldn't be this...
  6. How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?: Hello all, I have a question. It's normal usage but i am still not able to find the right way to do that. I want some configuration like : - If external display is connected either display port or HDMI, when lid is closed -> DONT go to sleep mode - If no external display...
  7. New laptop issue with closing lid while using external display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New laptop issue with closing lid while using external display: Hi, I recently bought a new MSI gaming laptop to replace my old one but I'm stumped trying to fix an issue I'm experiencing when closing the laptop lid when connected to an external display. I'll try to be as descriptive as I can. Basically, when I connect my laptop to my TV...
  8. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...
  9. External Monitor goes out of range when I close the laptop lid.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor goes out of range when I close the laptop lid.: I have connected an external monitor to my laptop (windows 10). When I keep the laptop open, it works fine. The refresh rate is 60 Hz and resolution on both of them automatically gets set to 1360x768. But if I select 'Use only monitor 2' in display settings, or if I close the...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external display off and on windows 10 laptop