Windows 10: Locky Virus... help please!

Discus and support Locky Virus... help please! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My computer came down with the Locky Virus this morning. When I googled it a company called Equipe Microfix came up and they said for $500 (for their... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Walsh373, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Walsh373 Win User

Locky Virus... help please!

My computer came down with the Locky Virus this morning. When I googled it a company called Equipe Microfix came up and they said for $500 (for their labor) and 1.2 bitcoin they would fix the problem. I.e. go on the dark web to get a private key and decrypt program and use team viewer to access my computer.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question (I'm not a tech savvy guy) but do I just pay them and be done with it? Sounds shady but is there an alternative?

All of my files have been renamed a long extension and "_Locky_recover_instructions.txt " is in every folder. It says I have to download and install Tor Browser.

Thanks in advance for any help!

:)

Walsh373, Mar 15, 2016

2. How to get rid of .zepto malware

See:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-locky-version-adds-the-zepto-extension-to-encrypted-files/

Please read:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/locky-ransomware-information-help

Note:

Info: There is an active Locky support topic that contains discussion and the experiences of a variety of IT consultants, end users, and companies who have been affected by this ransomware program. If you are interested in this infection or wish
    to ask questions about Locky, please visit the
    Locky Support Topic
    . Once at the topic, and if you are a
    registered
    member of the site, you can ask or answer questions and subscribe in order to get notifications when someone adds more information to the topic.

===

Also:
    https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-zepto-virus/

===

For further questions it's best to ask for free advice of the experts at bleepingcomputer.com

Good luck with everything...

Jsssssssss, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Le Boule, Mar 15, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

................When I googled it a company called Equipe Microfix came up and they said for $500 (for their labor) and 1.2 bitcoin they would fix the problem. I.e. go on the dark web to get a private key and decrypt program and use team viewer to access my computer.............

I do NOT have a solution for you, EXCEPT........................... Don't fall for the SCAM.

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    If you google for " How to remove Locky Virus ", you will find "Removal Tool" mentioned in many sites.
    Make your own selection.
    I have no experience with that. So I will not make recommendation.

Maybe we have a "security" expert amongst us ?

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  6. derekimo Win User
    Do you have a backup? That is your only sensible option I'm afraid. Have a look at this,

Locky malware, lucky to avoid it | Microsoft Malware Protection Center

derekimo, Mar 15, 2016
  7. Walsh373 Win User
    Thanks all. Guess I've got to do some googling. Can I change my user name on this forum? If so, how? Thanks!

Walsh373, Mar 15, 2016
  8. derekimo Win User

Google isn't going to help you fix this, you may end up in even worse shape.

You don't have a backup?

What do you want your username changed to, I'll make sure it gets noticed.

derekimo, Mar 15, 2016
  9. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, Mar 15, 2016
  10. You can't get them back unless you have a backup.

These removal/recovery tools are just as bad malware/spyware wise as the locky virus itself.

garydexter, Mar 15, 2016
  11. Borg 386 Win User
    Sorry to hear you were the victim of this, but there is no way, at this point, to decrypt the files without paying. Even if you do pay, you may not get the key. Once they have your money, they are not obligated to supply the key.

This doesn't help you now, but it will down the road. Make a system image on a regular basis. Keep that image on an external drive that is not always connected to the PC/Lappy. Keeps several images of different times on this drive in case you inadvertently make one with malware.

If you have one of these, should something like this happen again, you simply restore the most recent image you made with a minimal loss of data (depending on when you made the image file). This is the best defense against malware/viruses such as this.

System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Borg 386, Mar 15, 2016
  12. Walsh373 Win User
    Thank you all. I appreciate it. Derekimo can you private messsage me? It says I don't have 5 posts so can't do it

Walsh373, Mar 15, 2016
  13. Locky Virus... help please!

No known way to decrypt the Locky virus yet so unless Equipe Microfix are the guys that wrote the virus they aren't going to be able to help you.

Digmor Crusher, Mar 15, 2016
  14. Walsh373 Win User
    Please keep me posted if anyone figures out a solution thanks

Walsh373, Mar 16, 2016
  15. Can you do anything in post # 4 ?

COMPUTIAC Guest, Mar 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Locky Virus... help please! - Similar Threads - Locky Virus help

2. virus please help me

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virus please help me: VirTool:Win32/ExcludeProc.D , this appeared on my computer I don't know what to do I can't remove it when I try it appears again it says it's a serious threat can anyone help?...
  3. please help me with this virus

please help me with this virus: So recently i have been getting a notification on windows defender about it blocking something about 2-3 times a day. So than I installed Malawarebytes and got rid of most of the stuff but theres this one thing that keeps re appearing.I have no idea how i got it and theres...
  4. Virus or No? Help please :

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virus or No? Help please :: Hello! This keeps popping up on my screen. I thought it was a virus but I ran a scan on McAfee and it said I was virus free. Help is appreciated! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-or-no-help-please/43c81a66-9874-45b6-bd2f-74ba2636e29d
  5. Potential ViRuS please help

Potential ViRuS please help: I let a roommate use my computer for about 20 mins because she claimed she had to download an image onto a USB drive. Afterwards my computer was completely slower and I couldn't download any anti virus software and even had trouble accessing certain anti virus websites. I...
  6. VIRUS EVERYWHERE! PLEASE HELP

VIRUS EVERYWHERE! PLEASE HELP: Does anyone know the solution to networking security for my att gateway ? Its getting hacked from source?? Unknown from adroid mobile or through gateway itself what security can i download or plug in ? Its taken control over everything My laptop went missing in shipping and...
  7. Virus Check - Please Help Me

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virus Check - Please Help Me: [ATTACH] So, I saw that alot of my ram and cpu was being taken up, so I decided to check my task manager to see what was happening. Aside from Chrome, this program was taking up alot of memory, then it dropped as soon as I was taking a screenshot. I was wondering is this a...
  8. Virus - HELP ME PLEASE!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virus - HELP ME PLEASE!: Virus - HELP ME PLEASE! Having a very stressful time - so I realised on my dell laptop using alt and tab to switch there were windows open which I couldn’t access that had red blue and yellow flag and was slowing down my pc as they kept re-emerging. I opened up task manger...
  9. Virus / Malware, please help!

Virus / Malware, please help!: Hi, Ive got a virus that persists even after formats, I believe I caught it from my roomate and he recently got his identity stolen, so Im pretty scared. We both seem to have it but his files are older, so Im guessing i got it from him over the local network somehow. I was...
  10. Locky malware, lucky to avoid it

in Windows 10 News
    Locky malware, lucky to avoid it: You may have seen reports of the Locky malware circulating the web; we think this is a good time to discuss its distribution methods, and reiterate some best-practice methods that will help prevent infection. We’ve seen Locky being distributed by spam email, not in itself...