Windows 10: Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

Discus and support Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi all On a small network that does not have a domain controller, a Windows 10 pro workstation is sharing a folder over the network. We used to be... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by AlvinGounder, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

Hi all

On a small network that does not have a domain controller, a Windows 10 pro workstation is sharing a folder over the network.
    We used to be able to connect to this network share with username@computername instead of computername\username (e.g. shareuser@pc20 instead of pc20\shareuser).
    After this Windows 10 Pro workstation updated to 1903, we cannot connect using the username@computername method.
    Does anyone know if there is a reason for this?
    Is there a way to re-enable this way of logging in?

TIA

:)

AlvinGounder, Sep 8, 2019
  2. Tryx3 Win User

MS Info Username

I do not know where you are looking but in several places Windows displays usernames as ComputerName\UserName

Your ComputerName is BobcatGames so, if your UserName is Gaming PC, your UserName might well be displayed in some places as
    BobcatGames\Gaming PC.

You can check your UserName in any Command prompt or Windows PowerShell window by entering the command net user.

This will show a list of all user accounts [both the one you created & the ones that the system created during installation].

Denis

Tryx3, Sep 8, 2019
  3. lx07 Win User
    If I use a password to log in I can't acces other PC's on the network

What are you putting as your user name?

I try these fairly indiscriminately until one works...

• user@outlook.com (if a MS account)
    • UserName@COMPUTERNAME
    • COMPUTERNAME\UserName
    • \\COMPUTERNAME\UserName

You need the user ID and computer name of the PC you are connecting to not the one you are connecting from.

lx07, Sep 8, 2019
  4. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

File History

I just set up File History to use a new external hard drive.

Unfortunately it set up five copies of my computer in the FileHistory folder.

• FileHistory/username/computername
    • FileHistory/username/computername (2)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (3)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (4)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (5)

On top of this problem, File History has not backed up any Data at all. It has only created some files in the folder FileHistory/username/computername (5)/Configuration.

Any idea how I can fix this problem?

Mike1234DR, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username - Similar Threads - Log username@computername instead

2. No username

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No username: I have an hp 15-f387wm and I reset it a few months ago. I've been having some issues with my new computer so I started up this one for a comparison. When I first bought the computer I had to go through a very long process of waiting while the computer displayed "installing...
  3. Hide username completely while the machine is auto logging in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hide username completely while the machine is auto logging in: Hi Community, I have a unique requirement, I have setup a PC which would auto login to a particular user id say 'autologinuser', when ever we switch on the PC it would automatically logs into 'autologinuser' as configured. During the login, it would show which using is...
  4. File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username: I had to have a new computer. This involved of course a new C drive. I also transferred files from data partition on the original disk. The owner name everywhere shows a number string such as S-1-5-21-168 etc even on the C partition rather than computername/username I also...
  5. Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share: I have one Windows 10 professional machine that I cannot access using \\hostname only anywhere on my network. I am receiving the message, "Windows cannot access \\HostName\". I can access \\HostName\share when typing it in direct. Things I have tried I have turned off...
  6. Need Smart Card default for login instead of Username and Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need Smart Card default for login instead of Username and Password: We are getting ready to migrate to WIN10 and trying to figure out if there is a way to force our WIN10 computers to default to smart card to log onto our computers. We use 8021x so no user name and password. Everyone has smart cards to log on. 91462
  7. Windows 10 want XBOX username and password to log on PC

Windows 10 want XBOX username and password to log on PC: My son loaded some apps using his XBOX id and now whenever I start up or reboot my PC it wants the XBOX login in information and then list my son's XBOX id as user. There is no other user listed when I boot the system. How to I get rid of his XBOX id and just go back to the...
  8. Windows logs into two user accounts instead of one

Windows logs into two user accounts instead of one: The issue is like this: 1 I log into account A. 2 I reboot and log into account B 3 When I open task manager and go to Users tab, it shows both A and B. Account A is disconnected but using plenty of CPU and RAM 4 I reboot and log into B again. This time, only B is...
  9. WIN10 Logon Screen Shows Password Icons to Click Instead of Username

in Windows 10 Support
    WIN10 Logon Screen Shows Password Icons to Click Instead of Username: Has anyone seen this before and if so how do I correct this. Tried 3 different times and rolled back to Win 7 Home Premium and reinstalled Win 10. [img] 29256
  10. Windows attack can steal your logged-in username and password

in Windows 10 News
    Windows attack can steal your logged-in username and password: A previously-disclosed flaw in Windows can allow an attacker to steal usernames and passwords of any signed-in user -- simply by tricking a user into visiting a malicious website. But now a new proof-of-exploit shows just how easy it is to steal someone's credentials....