Windows 10: Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

Discus and support Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi all On a small network that does not have a domain controller, a Windows 10 pro workstation is sharing a folder over the network. We used to be... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by AlvinGounder, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

Hi all

On a small network that does not have a domain controller, a Windows 10 pro workstation is sharing a folder over the network.
    We used to be able to connect to this network share with username@computername instead of computername\username (e.g. shareuser@pc20 instead of pc20\shareuser).
    After this Windows 10 Pro workstation updated to 1903, we cannot connect using the username@computername method.
    Does anyone know if there is a reason for this?
    Is there a way to re-enable this way of logging in?

TIA

:)

AlvinGounder, Sep 8, 2019
  2. Tryx3 Win User

MS Info Username

I do not know where you are looking but in several places Windows displays usernames as ComputerName\UserName

Your ComputerName is BobcatGames so, if your UserName is Gaming PC, your UserName might well be displayed in some places as
    BobcatGames\Gaming PC.

You can check your UserName in any Command prompt or Windows PowerShell window by entering the command net user.

This will show a list of all user accounts [both the one you created & the ones that the system created during installation].

Denis

Tryx3, Sep 8, 2019
  3. lx07 Win User
    If I use a password to log in I can't acces other PC's on the network

What are you putting as your user name?

I try these fairly indiscriminately until one works...

• user@outlook.com (if a MS account)
    • UserName@COMPUTERNAME
    • COMPUTERNAME\UserName
    • \\COMPUTERNAME\UserName

You need the user ID and computer name of the PC you are connecting to not the one you are connecting from.

lx07, Sep 8, 2019
  4. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

File History

I just set up File History to use a new external hard drive.

Unfortunately it set up five copies of my computer in the FileHistory folder.

• FileHistory/username/computername
    • FileHistory/username/computername (2)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (3)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (4)
    • FileHistory/username/computername (5)

On top of this problem, File History has not backed up any Data at all. It has only created some files in the folder FileHistory/username/computername (5)/Configuration.

Any idea how I can fix this problem?

Mike1234DR, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username - Similar Threads - Log username@computername instead

2. logged in username

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    logged in username: Can I display username as a background in windows, to know if a screenshot is leaked from which user was logged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logged-in-username/8cddfef8-0ec6-43be-844d-53ed067c96de
  3. logged in username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    logged in username: Can I display username as a background in windows, to know if a screenshot is leaked from which user was logged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logged-in-username/8cddfef8-0ec6-43be-844d-53ed067c96de
  4. logged in username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change username of logged in account.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change username of logged in account.: Please Read Hello Everyone! I bought a PC from a seller. And he had an account logged-in in the PC. There is no password. And his username is displayed everytime I turn on my PC. I couldn't find anyway to change it. Please help if there is anyway to do so....
  6. SID shows instead of Username in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    SID shows instead of Username in Windows 10: [ATTACH]A Security Identifier (SID) is a unique value of variable length that is used to identify a security principal (such as a security group) in […] This article SID shows instead of Username in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. windows cannot access \\computername

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows cannot access \\computername: I've spent days trying to get this working. I've 2 computer one brand new that I want to access their drives from each other. They are connected by ethernet cables to the router. [ATTACH] This is from COMPROOM. I can access its shared folders but not EMMASROOM and vice...
  8. Windows 10 - Can't access \\computername but can access \\computername\share

Windows 10 - Can't access \\computername but can access \\computername\share: Hello, Since these latest updates/patches came out yesterday, I can no longer access shared folders on \\computername. However, I can access them with \\computer\share. I get the message "You do not have permission to access \\computername. Contact your network...
  9. File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File ownership in my new computer show as number string raiter than computername/username: I had to have a new computer. This involved of course a new C drive. I also transferred files from data partition on the original disk. The owner name everywhere shows a number string such as S-1-5-21-168 etc even on the C partition rather than computername/username I also...
  10. Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share

Windows cannot access \\ComputerName but can access \\ComputerName\Share: I have one Windows 10 professional machine that I cannot access using \\hostname only anywhere on my network. I am receiving the message, "Windows cannot access \\HostName\". I can access \\HostName\share when typing it in direct. Things I have tried I have turned off...