Windows 10: Log on locally

Discus and support Log on locally in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, it seems I can’t login with a local account. When we install Windows 7, it create a local account with... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by msavignac, Feb 9, 2016.

1. msavignac Win User

Log on locally

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, it seems I can’t login with a local account.

When we install Windows 7, it create a local account with administrative priviledges. Usually I name that account LocalAdmin.

I was trying to to the same with Windows 10. I created a local account with the Computer Management MMC Console, named it LocalAdmin and put it in Administrators group.

At the logon screen, I click on “Other user”, I enter the username this way MachineName\LocalAdmin and the password.

Everytime Windows 10 throw the error : “The username or password is incorrect. Try again.”

How come we can’t log on locally anymore???!

:)

msavignac, Feb 9, 2016

2. How to prevent child to log on locally in windows 10 machine?

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

Please be informed that, unless child has an Administrator privileges they cannot create a new Local account. So it is recommended that you protect your admin account with a password to avoid this.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 9, 2016
  3. How to prevent child to log on locally in windows 10 machine?

Thank you for taking the time to respond, but that is not the issue. The child is able to create a local account by selecting the "settings/accounts/your emails and accounts/" and then click on "Sign in with a local account instead". This will create a
    local account irrespective of Microsoft Account you originally logged in was a child account or otherwise.

Let me know if you are still not able to understand my question and I'll be happy to detail the steps for you. It is important that you understand the ask before jumping into a solution that is not pertaining.

Regards.

AviRajGoel, Feb 9, 2016
  4. msavignac Win User

Log on locally

I found the solution myself.
    For whatever reason, when you check in the system properties of the PC, the name of the PC is jimmy-surfacepro4. But when I click on Other User at the logon screen, then click on "How do I sign in to another domain?" it's written "Type JIMMY-SURFACEPR\local user name to sign in to this PC only (not a domain)".

Even when I type hostname at a command prompt, the result is: Jimmy-SurfacePro4.

msavignac, Feb 9, 2016
Thema:

Log on locally

1. Log on locally - Similar Threads - Log locally

2. Need to access Admin User log-in, can't access after inadvertently logging in as Local User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to access Admin User log-in, can't access after inadvertently logging in as Local User: I run Windows 11 Pro After inadvertently signing in on my laptop as Local User human graphic with name adjacent instead of the login with human on lanyard/name badge graphic adjacent to my name, used exclusively since setting my laptop up, my laptop is essentially brand new...
  3. Need to access Admin User log-in, can't access after inadvertently logging in as Local User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to access Admin User log-in, can't access after inadvertently logging in as Local User: I run Windows 11 Pro After inadvertently signing in on my laptop as Local User human graphic with name adjacent instead of the login with human on lanyard/name badge graphic adjacent to my name, used exclusively since setting my laptop up, my laptop is essentially brand new...
  4. Event Log local policy settings not working properly in W11 23H2, security log filing up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Log local policy settings not working properly in W11 23H2, security log filing up.: Hi All,We're in the process of setting up our W11 deployment process and one of the options we're looking at is deploying W11 as an upgrade to W10 through SCCM. However, we've come across an odd issue as part of our testing.For fully up-to-date W11 23H2 deployments either as...
  5. Event Log local policy settings not working properly in W11 23H2, security log filing up.

Event Log local policy settings not working properly in W11 23H2, security log filing up.: Hi All,We're in the process of setting up our W11 deployment process and one of the options we're looking at is deploying W11 as an upgrade to W10 through SCCM. However, we've come across an odd issue as part of our testing.For fully up-to-date W11 23H2 deployments either as...
  6. Log in to OneDrive, OneNote while keeping Windows local

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Log in to OneDrive, OneNote while keeping Windows local: Hello.My work Windows runs on a local account. I'd like to log in to OneDrive and OneNote maybe also Office later on in order to have some files and notes both stored online and handy on the machine nothing "classified" of course, mostly manuals and textbooks. I want to log...
  7. Log in to OneDrive, OneNote while keeping Windows local

Log in to OneDrive, OneNote while keeping Windows local: Hello.My work Windows runs on a local account. I'd like to log in to OneDrive and OneNote maybe also Office later on in order to have some files and notes both stored online and handy on the machine nothing "classified" of course, mostly manuals and textbooks. I want to log...
  8. Log in to OneDrive, OneNote while keeping Windows local

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. Logging into fileserver locally using credentials, works on some computers, but the rest...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Logging into fileserver locally using credentials, works on some computers, but the rest...: We have a local network file server, our computers that need to connect to the fileserver is over ethernet and is using a private network, the issue we are having is that fileserver is visiable in the network panel in the file explorer, but when we want to connect to the...
  10. Logging into fileserver locally using credentials, works on some computers, but the rest...

Logging into fileserver locally using credentials, works on some computers, but the rest...: We have a local network file server, our computers that need to connect to the fileserver is over ethernet and is using a private network, the issue we are having is that fileserver is visiable in the network panel in the file explorer, but when we want to connect to the...