Windows 10: Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool

Discus and support Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After upgrading my Mother's laptop to Windows 10 Home, I replaced much of her Windows 8 Recovery partition with the "media" files from a WinPE recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CarolStidham, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool

After upgrading my Mother's laptop to Windows 10 Home, I replaced much of her Windows 8 Recovery partition with the "media" files from a WinPE recovery USB boot-drive - which I created after downloading the Windows ADK and PE files: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/download-winpe--windows-pe. I then created a custom install.wim file (after installing all pertinent software to her “new” Windows 10 Home laptop), and created a "Custom Tool" for her "Windows RE Boot Options Menu" - to replace the OEM, Windows 8 install.wim file interface - which either was not set up properly or had become corrupted:

The "Custom Tool" I created is a command-line batch file. I have only had one college course in programming: C, but I have used DOS commands before. ( I have very outdated A+ and MCP certifications.) I've added a simple script to my batch file, which requires a password – before it formats the Windows partition and applies the custom install.wim file:
    https://www.dostips.com/DtCodeCmdLib.php#pwd. However, since the Advanced Boot Options Menu requires a login before it allows a user to access a cmd (command) window, I thought I might be able to access that same login utility for my "Custom Tool" - which could easily do as much damage as the command window.

I have not been able to get the <RequireLogonOnReset></RequireLogonOnReset> element of the WinREConfig.xml file to work (as I understood it was supposed to work): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winreconfig-xml-reference . (This is probably a very simple process for someone who is more knowledgeable and practiced than I am.) How can I access the same login process used by the Windows RE Boot Options Menu Command Window for my new “Custom Tool?”

:)

CarolStidham, Sep 15, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Sep 15, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

I have questions for you:
    1. if you open admin command, copy and paste: reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
      Does it boot into recovery ?
    2. Is the disk layout still look like the screen you posted in the other thread with 2 recovery partitions (450MB and 480MB)?

Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool [​IMG]

According to suggestions from the thread, you changed from partitiion 5 to partition 1 with reagentc, which in my opinion is not correct. When you upgrade, windows creates an extra 450MB after C: and put a new Winre.wim there and set it to partition 5 (counting from left to right)

topgundcp, Sep 15, 2019
  4. Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool

Windows 10 Advance Startup mode not showing menu (only power off menu)

Hi Dany,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows Startup options. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps in enabling the Advance boot option.

• Use any administrator account to sign-in/log on to your Windows 10 computer.
    • Once on the desktop window, right-click the Start button from the bottom left corner.
    • From the displayed context menu, click the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
    • In the opened Administrator: Command Prompt interface, type the
      BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY command.
    • Hit Enter to execute the command.
    • Close the command window when done.
    • After this, left-click the Start button.
    • Click Power from the Start menu.
    • From the displayed options, click Restart.

Now follow the below steps and check if you are able to see the
    Advance boot options.

• Open Settings, and click/tap on the
      Update & security icon.

• Click/tap on
      Recovery on the left side, and click/tap on Restart
      now under Advanced startup. Check if you are able to view the
      Troubleshoot option.
    Write to us, if you need further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool

1. Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool - Similar Threads - Logging Advanced Boot

2. How can i boot into advanced recovery options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i boot into advanced recovery options: I've been having this "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" problem for 2 days now it says "tcpip.sys" is what failed i know i have to go into advanced recovery options to fix this but the problem is that i can't get into advanced recovery options i tried shutting the pc down...
  3. How can i boot into advanced recovery options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i boot into advanced recovery options: I've been having this "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" problem for 2 days now it says "tcpip.sys" is what failed i know i have to go into advanced recovery options to fix this but the problem is that i can't get into advanced recovery options i tried shutting the pc down...
  4. Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual boot not working [Menu and advanced options]: Good morning / evening everyone i have windows and kali linux installed on my machine , when i first installed kali , there was a problem and it's that kali didn't appear in the dual boot menu , only windows 10 did , i solved this issue by booting into windows then going to...
  5. Missing Advanced Recovery Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing Advanced Recovery Options: Hi, So when I go to the 'Recovery Options' and than Advanced, there are only 2 options available: UEFI Boot Settings and Advanced Setup Options. There is no Command Prompt or System Image settings etc. Many Thanks in advance INFO - Windows 10 Enterprise, 1909 - Standard...
  6. Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Logging in to an Advanced Boot Options Menu Recovery Tool: After upgrading my Mother's laptop to Windows 10 Home, I replaced much of her Windows 8 Recovery partition with the "media" files from a WinPE recovery USB boot-drive - which I created after downloading the Windows ADK and PE files:...
  7. No recovery options start from advanced startup menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No recovery options start from advanced startup menu: hello everyone, I just ran into this problem after I opened my computer case, I did not damage anything or replace anything, I simply just took off my computer case and put it back on. But it took me straight to the boot menu. I have tried every single option and online...
  8. Windows Recovery Environment only shows Advanced Boot Options.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Recovery Environment only shows Advanced Boot Options.: Windows Recovery Environment is only showing Advanced Boot Options, no other options (Such as System Restore, Command Prompt etc.). Any ideas as to why this is? 112043
  9. Advanced Option oddity, and Boot Menu text weird change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Advanced Option oddity, and Boot Menu text weird change: Hi, it's over a month since I updated to Win 10, so Windows.old has been duly deleted. I happened to do a SHIFT restart, and in the Advanced Options, noted an option sthg like 'Revert to previous build' Well, if Windows.old was still there, I could understand that.....
  10. Advanced Boot Options Menu (Choose an option)

in Windows 10 Support
    Advanced Boot Options Menu (Choose an option): The same trick from Windows 8/8.1 still works in 10. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html Click on Start, click the power icon at the top of the Start Menu. Hold down Shift and click on Restart. [img] You will boot to the Choose an option...