Windows 10: Logging out to a black screen with cursor

Discus and support Logging out to a black screen with cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've see this on every computer with Windows 10 installed. Log out to switch to another user and you're hit with a black screen and cursor. Witnessed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vram, May 30, 2016.

1. vram Win User

Logging out to a black screen with cursor

I've see this on every computer with Windows 10 installed. Log out to switch to another user and you're hit with a black screen and cursor. Witnessed it on Intel, AMD and Nvidia hardware.

Does MS even acknowledge this and is a fix inbound?

:)

2. Basith M Win User

Windows10, black screen with cursor after logging in.

Hi Ayush,

I suggest you to boot from the Windows 10 DVD and then perform Automatic Repair and check if it works for you.

You may refer to the following URL to download the ISO files (You may download ISO file from a different computer and use it on the issue computer).

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Follow the steps to perform Automatic Repair using the Installation Media:

a. Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c. Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d. Click next and select Repair your computer.

e. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.

f. You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Please feel free to visit our website for any help with Windows Operating System.

Basith M, May 30, 2016
  3. Windows10, black screen with cursor after logging in.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

If you see the black screen only after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

Is it a Notebook or Tablet? Try using hardware buttons to adjust display brightness up, We have a report of

atleast one PC which had this issue (brightness at min, increasing brightness enabled us to continue setup).

While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.

• If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
    • If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps (dism, then sfc),If this does not work, then Explorer.exe probably crashed. you can start Internet Explorer to achieve an LMI connection to then perform some other troubleshooting:
    • In Task Manager, File, Run. iexplore.exe Once you achieve a connection you can use a few tools started from Task Manager to make progress:
    • Appwiz.cpl:Look for Antivirus software or other apps that may cause issues with the shell. Uninstall them. Then restart.
    • Compmgmt.msc: This is Computer Management, where you can find the Event Viewer to search for details on an Explorer.exe error.
    CMD started as Admin: Use this for various commands, like creating a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the customer’s choosing):net user test <password> /add net localgroup Administrators test /add

This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

give DISM and SFC steps.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on Windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, May 30, 2016
  4. badrobot Win User

I am not sure if this is a common problem but it sounds like a connected device to the PC is hogging it. I've had this issue before where I just unplug a USB external hard drive and everything is fine after that.

badrobot, May 30, 2016
  5. vram Win User
    Unless the keyboard/mouse are hogging the PC, its something else.

vram, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Logging out to a black screen with cursor - Similar Threads - Logging black screen

2. Black screen with a cursor after logging in my windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with a cursor after logging in my windows: Yesterday when I turned on my laptop, it freezed. And after a while it was just black screen. Now when I turn on after samsung logo, I input my login password, then it opens with a black screen with a cursor. I can hear the fan, that's means it's running. The lights of...
  3. Black screen with only cursor visible after logging in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with only cursor visible after logging in: Hi there,Recently, i logged in my laptop but after entering pin, it is not displaying desktop and it is displaying black screen only with a cursor. I've tried everything but it ain't working. I hope to receive help for this issue.......
  4. Black screen with cursor after log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with cursor after log in: Hey, i have a problem, so i installed win11 a few weeks ago. So I can't revert to win 10, but heres the problem, after a few weeks of using win 11, i keep getting black screen with cursor in it. I already tried the regedit and change the shell and it was not working....
  5. Black screen with cursor after log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor after log in: Hey, i have a problem, so i installed win11 a few weeks ago. So I can't revert to win 10, but heres the problem, after a few weeks of using win 11, i keep getting black screen with cursor in it. I already tried the regedit and change the shell and it was not working....
  6. pc screen going black with cursor after logging in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc screen going black with cursor after logging in.: HI i want to know how to stop my pc from going to black screen with cursor after i log in. I dont know how to fix and i would love some help....
  7. Windows 10 Black Screen with cursor before logging in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Black Screen with cursor before logging in: Hi, So i tried to download and install this theme for win10 then after clicking it to apply the theme, the screen flickers to gray, white and black. So i turned it off. Now, when i turned it back on, after the logo, it stays black. I cannot even login anymore. I tried a...
  8. Windows 10 logs into black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 logs into black screen with cursor: I’ve been walking through the help steps on Microsoft’s page as this seems like a common problem but so far I can’t achieve anything. So I have an Alienware desktop with Windows 10 that’s a few years old and I stopped using about 2 years ago, I hooked it up and I can login...
  9. black screen with cursor after logging in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    black screen with cursor after logging in: Hi. I just had this annoying black screen after I just logged in to my laptop. It is a black screen with a cursor. Pressing ESC, Windows key, ctrl+alt+delete or windows key+R then typing explorer.exe don't do anything good, still a black screen so it forces me to press the...
  10. Black screen with cursor after logging in (win10)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor after logging in (win10): Hello, I Have Dell inspiron 15R N5110. Have been seeing a black screen with cursor after login to windows. I rarely see the desktop but after leaving the laptop turned for long time, maybe hours. But when i click on my computer or pressing ctrl + A it takes secs or even mins...