Windows 10: Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.

Discus and support Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cindybert, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Cindybert Win User

Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.

Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop is Windows 10 on my private home network that uses a single router. Both show up in each other's Network folders.

I can ping the Win 10 machine from the Win 7 machine, but not vice versa.

I can click the icon for the laptop machine and get to it from the Win 7 machine.

But when I try to access the Win 7 machine from the Win 10 laptop, it says it can't access. When I try to go to specific drives using the drive share names (eg \\home-pc\jaydrive), I get a login screen which says that my login credentials are incorrect (and these are the login credentials that I use to login to the @#$ Win 7 machine!). I have turned on sharing options, shared folders, etc on the Win 7 box.

I've had the Win 7 machine for several years, and I used to be able to see its shared files from my old Win 7 laptop, so I know that those settings are correct.

Suggestions? I'm ready to find a third party file transfer program.

***Modified title from: More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines***

***Moved from: Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage ***

:)

Cindybert, Dec 13, 2018

2. Credentials

Hi,

The warning message that you encountered about your credentials can be caused by an improper configuration or a possible incorrect login details. To effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Are you trying to sign in to your apps using a different device? If not, are you signing in through a remote desktop setup?
    • When are you getting the error message? Could you attach a screenshot on your next post to help us better identify the issue.
    • Have you tried using your account on another device? If yes, did you encounter the same error?

If you used your Microsoft account to sign in and got the same error, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    support article on how to reset your password to rule out any incorrect credentials issues.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Dec 13, 2018
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Intel AMT Security Issue Lets Attackers Bypass Login Credentials

Next up: security vulnerability found in every router ever with default login credentials...

4. Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.

option to change the login credentials on Windows 10 computer

Hello Ankit,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

We would like to know if you have received any email when you say Microsoft gave me an option to change the login credentials on my Windows 10 computer

Again, please be informed that in order to change the Login ID credentials, you need to access you Microsoft Account at the first place, in this case which would be recovering the Microsoft Account(MSA).

I suggest you to follow the recommended link which was earlier suggested.

Getting back into your Microsoft account if it’s been compromised

Once you recover your MSA, you can refer to the below steps to change the credentials.

• Login to https://login.live.com.
    • Specify the current Windows live ID and password in the available fields and click
      Sign in.
    • On Microsoft account page, make sure that Overview category is selected from the left pane.
    • From the right pane, click Rename account under Account summary.
    • From the right pane of the next page, make sure that Create a new email address radio button is selected under
      Rename your Microsoft account.

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files.

1. Login credentials are incorrect when sharing files. - Similar Threads - Login credentials are

2. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  3. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  4. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  5. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  6. Credential for file sharing

7. Invalid Credentials when file sharing on windows 10

Invalid Credentials when file sharing on windows 10: Hello,I am trying to set up file sharing with a friend but he keeps on getting asked for credentials when trying to access my folder. I have 'Turn off password-protected-sharing' and have set up the necessary sharing and security options.Any ideas?Thanks, Charlie...
  8. Invalid Credentials when file sharing on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid Credentials when file sharing on windows 10: Hello,I am trying to set up file sharing with a friend but he keeps on getting asked for credentials when trying to access my folder. I have 'Turn off password-protected-sharing' and have set up the necessary sharing and security options.Any ideas?Thanks, Charlie...
  9. Invalid Credentials when file sharing on windows 10

10. Windows 10 Network Share - Incorrect Credentials

Windows 10 Network Share - Incorrect Credentials: Hello, I have ran into a problem of windows not accepting my credentials to access a network share on my computer. All of my computers are linked with a Microsoft account. Normally when prompted for credentials, I enter my Microsoft account email and password and it works....