Windows 10: Login issue - 'Ghost' US Keyboard preventing my UK keyboard compliant password

Discus and support Login issue - 'Ghost' US Keyboard preventing my UK keyboard compliant password in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi.I have an issue with my work laptop, I use @ in my account password or at least used to until last week. I am unable to login using my UK keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by PJIT, May 17, 2021.

1. PJIT Win User

Login issue - 'Ghost' US Keyboard preventing my UK keyboard compliant password

Hi.I have an issue with my work laptop, I use @ in my account password or at least used to until last week. I am unable to login using my UK keyboard unless I pretend to be using an American keyboard. The " and @ are in opposite places on the UK\US keyboard.But what makes this bizarre is if I go to login as a new user and type the password the correct characters appear so the keyboard is set to UK format but behaves like a US keyboard.I have tested this on 2 other laptops and the same problem. I only have domain joined machines to test this with and wondered if anyone else has seen t

:)

2. Keyboard issue when entering password after exiting screen saver

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in keyboard settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message?
    • Is the issue occurring while booting to the computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to check if you are able to enter the password using On-Screen keyboard and also run hardware troubleshooter to check for any change in hardware settings.

Step 1: I recommend you to try to use the On-Screen Keyboard to enter the computer.

1. At the login page.

2. Click on Ease of Access icon which is present on the bottom right corner of the screen.

3. Then select On-Screen Keyboard from the list.

4. Click on Password box and enter the password into it through On-Screen Keyboard.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. Check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using keyboard at the login page, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 17, 2021
  3. Touch Keyboard Settings missing

Hi Graham,

• Have you installed all the pending Windows updates? If not I suggest you to check.

Also I suggest you to check whether the devices are governed or configured through group policy as you mentioned multiple devices used in a domain environment such as hospitals.

I suggest you to check whether the Onscreen Keyboard is working or not. Refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + U and select the On-Screen Keyboard from the Ease of Access
      list. Or click on Ease of Access at bottom right and select
      On-Screen Keyboard from the list.
    • Then use you cursor to type the password with On-Screen Keyboard.
    • Before clicking the login, press the eye symbol (I.e. Reveal Password) option in the password field, to see the password is correct.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, May 17, 2021
  4. keith_uk Win User

Install UK Extended keyboard [ENG UKX] and remove UK keyboard [ENG UK]

Hi John,

I think maybe uploaded the wrong screen shot. I had been playing around with the adding and removing the UK keyboard as well as the extended keyboard.

The current situation is that I can remove the UK keyboard and then I only see the two options, UK Extended and Thai, as required.

However, the UK keyboard periodically reappears in the win+space list. When that happens, if go to the language options it is not displayed under the input options list (even though it appears win+space list). To fix it, I have to add the UK keyboard, then
    delete it.

keith_uk, May 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Login issue - 'Ghost' US Keyboard preventing my UK keyboard compliant password - Similar Threads - Login issue 'Ghost'

2. How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard: I have been trying to change from US keyboard to UK keyboard for windows 10 without success. It has been changed in the settings but not effected on the keyboard. I need help please...
  3. How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change US keyboard to UK keyboard: I have been trying to change from US keyboard to UK keyboard for windows 10 without success. It has been changed in the settings but not effected on the keyboard. I need help please...
  4. Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard: On my Surface Book 2, when I have the US International QWERTY region keyboard installed, the bottom row of keys has recently stopped working Z, X,C, V, B, N, M. I tried changing to the UK QWERTY region keyboard and these same bottom row keys work. I want to use the US...
  5. US vs UK keyboard settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    US vs UK keyboard settings: Hi, After latest Windows 10 update, Jelly Comb wireless UK English keyboard has keys using US setting. Windows settings show all language settings are English UK - no sign of any US language setting anywhere. Update driver shows that all is OK. Please can someone help...
  6. UK keyboard is still US keyboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UK keyboard is still US keyboard?: So I've tried to get the UK keyboard to work, I've tried changing the language options so that I only have the one UK keyboard layout, but it's STILL got the US keyboard layout. I can't find a way to fix this, please help submitted by /u/ultradurphy [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 keyboard US UK

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keyboard US UK: I have a Lenovo Idealpad 205 which I am using in the UK with Windows 10 op system. It has recently developed a problem with the keyboard settings and the @ symbol has now displaced the " symbol. Is this because it has defaulted to a US setting ? or something else. Does...
  8. How to change from US to UK keyboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change from US to UK keyboard?: I have Win 10 Pro. I have an account for myself, with Admin privileges. I also have an account called "Kids". My account has the English (UK) keyboard by default. The Kids account has a US keyboard - also by default. I want the Kids account to have an English keyboard (no...
  9. US keyboard + UK English

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    US keyboard + UK English: Is it possible to setup Windows so that it recognises that I have an ANSI layout, but that spell checking and such is in British English? 29942
  10. US vs UK keyboard This is a bug in the firmware!

in Windows 10 Support
    US vs UK keyboard This is a bug in the firmware!: When I first setup win 10 I accidently set me keyboard to UK style. I should have selected US. Now, when I boot up, the " and the @ are reversed. I go into keyboard setup and change it to US. ease of access change how it works ........ change input settings English US...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Should i type my password in us or uk layout

2. Uk vs us keyboard layout creates any problem in password?