Windows 10: Login Options Missing

Discus and support Login Options Missing in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have an Asus laptop with an SSD containing a Windows 10 installation and a hard drive containing both a data partition for Windows and an Ubuntu 16... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Conor12, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Conor12 Win User

Login Options Missing

I have an Asus laptop with an SSD containing a Windows 10 installation and a hard drive containing both a data partition for Windows and an Ubuntu 16 installation. Earlier this week while traveling my battery ran out while I was using Windows and the computer automatically shut down. When I got home, recharged, and tried to boot back in to Windows I was no longer able to log in. I'm able to boot Windows and the normal welcome screen loads and shows the time:

Login Options Missing [​IMG]

When I click or press a key it moves into the blurred-background state where the password, pin, or fingerprint login credential prompt would usually be shown, but none of the above appear - although the networking, accessibility, and power icons do show up in the bottom right. Most of the time my account information does not appear either:

Occasionally, my account icon and use name do show up - it's not clear to me what causes this to occur or not, but it doesn't seem to have any actual impact on the response of the system to my input:

The normal menus will show up if I click on any of the three icons at the bottom right, although selecting options from within the menus has no effect other than causing the display to freeze and be unresponsive to continued input for several minutes before reverting to the first version above with the time, at which point I can click again to get back to the 3-icon screen.

I am able to restart and get into the recovery options menu if I hold shift while clicking restart and wait while still holding shift for about 5 minutes. However, none of the options in the recovery menu actually work at present. If I try to use the cmd prompt, to uninstall recent updates, to restore a previously saved image, or to reinstall windows I get an 80070013 error code and a prompt to restart:

However, restarting boots windows like normal not into the recovery environment, even if I hold down shift for the duration of the boot, and restarting from there back into the recovery environment gets me back to the drawing board repeated attempts to use any of these options don't change the result. Googling the error, it sounds like there's some kind of driver conflict, either with an update trying to install a driver I already have, or trying to install a driver that is not compatible with my hardware? But not sure what I can do about this if I can't roll back updates.

Booting into safe mode via the recovery menu also doesn't work. When I select the option Startup Settings -> restart it also just restarts with a normal Windows boot not into safe mode or a menu in which I can choose startup settings.

I tried making a Windows recovery flash drive using my Ubuntu installation which at present I can still access. I followed the instructionshere using a Windows image from here. I formatted it as GPT with an NTFS partition containing the image volume contents. The UEFI menu detects that a flash drive is plugged in but doesn't recognize it as a bootable device.

I think the central problem is something to do with Windows being in an unsafe hibernation state following that initial running-out-of-power shutdown, so that I can't log in because the system was left in a halfway? logged in state. If I try to mount the windows data partition 'C:' from within Ubuntu I get an error stating that it is in a hibernated state and can only be mounted as read-only.

I was able to read-only mount the drive in Ubuntu though and have extracted everything I think I really care about on it. At this point I would be fine with reinstalling windows or doing a clean wipe and reinstall of that entire drive if that were necessary, but I can't figure out a good option to do this since the recovery mode options aren't working and the UEFI menu won't detect a recovery drive.

Any thoughts on what to try from here?

Thanks!

:)

Conor12, Dec 27, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Dec 27, 2019
  4. Login Options Missing

OSK PIN login on non-touch device

Hello,

I suggest you to create a PIN for your device and try the on screen keyboard to login to the same.

You may follow the steps below to create PIN protection for your device.

• Go to Settings and select account.

• Click on sign in option and Go to PIN option.

• Now click on Add and set PIN for login.

You can use the same PIN to login to your device using the on screen Keyboard from ease of access option and verify the result.

Please get back to us with updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

Login Options Missing

1. Login Options Missing - Similar Threads - Login Options Missing

2. other users option in Login is missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    other users option in Login is missing.: HiI'm currently using Windows 11, but I've encountered an issue where the "other users" option in the Windows login screen is not visible. I attempted to address this by disabling the settings in the group policy at the following location: Computer Configuration\...
  3. other users option in Login is missing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    other users option in Login is missing.: HiI'm currently using Windows 11, but I've encountered an issue where the "other users" option in the Windows login screen is not visible. I attempted to address this by disabling the settings in the group policy at the following location: Computer Configuration\...
  4. Security key option is missing from login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security key option is missing from login screen: Hello,I have a Yubikey that is registered with Windows Hello on my Windows 11 computer, and it does work. I can log into Microsoft.com or into Okta, and Windows will open Windows Hello and let me use my Yubikey to log in. However, on the Windows lock screen, "security key" is...
  5. Security key option is missing from login screen

Security key option is missing from login screen: Hello,I have a Yubikey that is registered with Windows Hello on my Windows 11 computer, and it does work. I can log into Microsoft.com or into Okta, and Windows will open Windows Hello and let me use my Yubikey to log in. However, on the Windows lock screen, "security key" is...
  6. Password Login Option Suddenly Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password Login Option Suddenly Missing: I went to login to my computer and it only has the option to login with a PIN. I never use a pin to login I don't know what it would be. I tried a few things, but nothing works. There is no option to use password instead, there is no settings gear. The Windows +I command does...
  7. Password Login Option Suddenly Missing

Password Login Option Suddenly Missing: I went to login to my computer and it only has the option to login with a PIN. I never use a pin to login I don't know what it would be. I tried a few things, but nothing works. There is no option to use password instead, there is no settings gear. The Windows +I command does...
  8. Missing option for disabling login password? How to disable login password?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing option for disabling login password? How to disable login password?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AbonIamme [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i3f8n9/missing_option_for_disabling_login_password_how/
  9. ‎"Other user" option is missing from Login Screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    ‎"Other user" option is missing from Login Screen: So this morning I have installed a new Windows 10 on a Laptop. And after Windows 10 installation, I install my O365 software to this laptop and connect my work account with this Laptop then enable Ctrl+Alt+Del Login. Then after that I reboot the Laptop, an after I press...
  10. ‎Oher user option missing from Login Screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    ‎Oher user option missing from Login Screen: So this morning I have installed a new Windows 10 on a Laptop. And after Windows 10 installation, I install my O365 software to this laptop and connect my work account with this Laptop then enable Ctrl+Alt+Del Login. Then after that I reboot the Laptop, an after I press...