Windows 10: Login problem on wakeup

Discus and support Login problem on wakeup in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My ASUS/Win10 laptop wakes up from sleep normally about 3 times out of 4...but the rest of the time it gets as far as displaying the password text box,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by deadstick, Dec 15, 2016.

1. deadstick Win User

Login problem on wakeup

My ASUS/Win10 laptop wakes up from sleep normally about 3 times out of 4...but the rest of the time it gets as far as displaying the password text box, with blinking cursor, and then refuses to accept keystrokes. The only way to get it up is to command a restart, either from the hardware power button or the onscreen power symbol. Suggestions?

:)

deadstick, Dec 15, 2016
  2. John Z NC Win User

Computer hangs at lock screen

The wakeup lock has stopped. I don't recall doing anything different. I started logging what applications were running at login after wakeup. So far 10 wakeups without issue. The last thing I recall trying was the safe mode boot, but I've rebooted many
    times while the problem was present without impact.

I'll continue to log wakeups for awhile, but suspect something has changed and the issue will not occur now.

John Z NC, Dec 15, 2016
  3. MacLingo Win User
    Interrupt or Signal on Waking Up

I'd like to be able to run a process on "Wakeup Startup" in the same way as on "Login Startup".

Is there anyway to trigger this?

Thanks, Mac

MacLingo, Dec 15, 2016
  4. Login problem on wakeup

Could I ask do you notice a pattern in terms of when it works and how long its has been asleep. Basically, does it awake properly when it has only been a sleep for an hour or two and fail when it has been longer, say four hours.

Caledon Ken, Dec 23, 2016
  5. deadstick Win User
    It definitely happens in both circumstances, but I can't say if one is more frequent than the other.

deadstick, Dec 23, 2016
  6. Okay. What you might try as a test is to shut off hibernation. The way you describe the problem it doesn't immediately say hibernation issues as you do get all the way to login and it is intermittent. It is a simple test and rules this out. At a command prompt, run as administrator enter powercfg -h off.

This will disable Windows 10 fast start but it is just a test. You can enable with same command on replace off with on.

7. deadstick Win User
    OK, I turned of hibernation, closed the lid for half an hour, opened it and it woke up OK. I'll try it overnight tonight.

deadstick, Dec 23, 2016
  8. Login problem on wakeup

Next time your in, in elevated Command prompt type powercfg -a

This should tell you states Windows think is achievable. I'll have to look at my wife's computer, I know Asus has a Fast something or other that may or may not be conflicting with Windows. Is still early, this idea has only worked once. Lets hope overnight also works.

9. deadstick Win User
    OK, I see what you meant about "fast start will be disabled too"...after sitting idle, display on, for a while it shut down and needed a power-button startup. So I went into power options and set "Turn off hard drive" to "Never when plugged in", and it doesn't do that any more. Here's what powercfg /a gives now: The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby (S3) The following sleep states are not available on this system: Standby (S1) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Standby (S2) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Hibernate Hibernation has not been enabled. Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Hybrid Sleep Hibernation is not available. Fast Startup Hibernation is not available.

deadstick, Dec 24, 2016
  10. My error. My goal was to see if hibernation, as windows sees it, is supported. By shutting hibernation off and then running command I defeated purpose.

Interesting that only one power state is supported, S3, on what I will call a modern device. May I ask how old it is.

I maybe reading your post wrong but I think you are saying when it went to sleep, it powered down disk, which it should however you needed a power on to get it running. Did it fully power down.

I know on some devices, like my Dell, if it goes to sleep touching the space bar or touch pad will not wake it. I see from the power light that it is flashing slowlty so I know its asleep. To wake I lightly touch power button. This is more a wake up then power up.

Could you turn hibernation back on and run powercfg -a to see if windows thinks hibernation is supported.

Will be slow responding today, family and all.

Caledon Ken, Dec 24, 2016
  11. deadstick Win User
    The laptop is an ASUS X55UA, a bit over a year old, and it frankly hasn't been impressive: besides the login problem, disk transfers are disappointingly slow. I was delivered with Win10 aboard, so I can't compare pre-10 behavior. I've had two HP's that both failed with overheating problems: in each case, I went through the lengthy disassembly process down to the heatsinks, only to find that they weren't clogged and repair was uneconomical, so I decided to give ASUS a try. Bad move, apparently. Here's what powercfg looks like with hibernation on: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /a The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby (S3) Hibernate Hybrid Sleep Fast Startup The following sleep states are not available on this system: Standby (S1) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Standby (S2) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Yes, it powered down completely in the incident you refer to: tapping the power button or mousepad had no effect and a full powerup was required. And now here's another clue. Sometimes the "Search Windows" textbox acts just like the password box does in the wakeup failures: white box, blinking text cursor, but no response to keystrokes. Curiouser and curiouser...

deadstick, Dec 24, 2016
  12. Interesting. My wife has an Asus, came with 8.1 and it just goes on Windows 10. Everyone of these things is different.

Brink created a tutorial on "How to Generate a Sleep Diagnostic Report". I think your original problem is related to how it sleeps.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-a.html?filter[1]=Power Management

Maybe it will give some insights.

One thing you might also consider is to reset your power management options, boot and then restore them to the way you had them.

Edit: Found laptop at Asus, previously I couldn't.

Caledon Ken, Dec 24, 2016
  13. deadstick Win User

Login problem on wakeup

OK, I'll try a few cycles over the next 24, log operator actions, and run the diag. Thanks for the attention on Christmas!

deadstick, Dec 25, 2016
  14. deadstick Win User
    OK, here's a sleep diags file I just took; naturally, now that I'm monitoring, it hasn't had a wakeup failure yet. When I do get one I'll send another diags file.

deadstick, Dec 26, 2016
  15. Did a quick scan of the Asus site. Please follow this link and go to the second page of FAQ's.

Access Denied/

Very first item on second page - How to solve Hibernation / Sleep issues. Talks to Intel Management engine. Another forum member in another thread mentioned this. Well worth a read.

Sorry it says access denied. This link is good. I must investigate why when I post some links it says access denied.

Caledon Ken, Dec 27, 2016
Thema:

Login problem on wakeup

1. Login problem on wakeup - Similar Threads - Login problem wakeup

2. BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup: I build new PC, and since beginning I'm getting randomly BSOD, when I wake up PC from sleep or hybernation. I run the chkdsk and also memtest, they both passed. Thx for help. The BSOD says: unexpected_store_exception the minidump is debugged below. Microsoft R Windows...
  3. how do I disable the "login after wakeup" but still have the lock screen showing after wakeup?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do I disable the "login after wakeup" but still have the lock screen showing after wakeup?: I have both a desktop computer and a tablet computer running Windows 10. The tablet wakes from sleep with the lock screen showing, Good, because it shows my calendar on that screen. When I clear it the tablet goes right into Windows without any annoying, unnecessary logins....
  4. Win 10 wakeup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 wakeup: How do I keep Win 10 from changing display Project mode from "Extend" to "PC Screen Only" on on wake-up from Sleep mode? This just started recently, probably the result of an windows update. HP Envy 750se desktop, I7 processor, 256 GB SSD, 12 GB ram. It also changes on...
  5. Delete Login on Wakeup in Windows 10 Home Version 1903

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Delete Login on Wakeup in Windows 10 Home Version 1903: How do I disable/Delete the login on wakeup in Windows 10 Home version 1903. I have done the Windows Key - Settings - Accounts - Sign In Options, but there is no longer a drop down window to Select 'Never'. How does one do this in the current Windows 10?...
  6. Login Problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Problem: I am entering right password to login to my laptop. But it is showing that entered User ID or Password is wrong. As advised by Microsoft I have changed my password at login.live.com . Even though it is showing the same thing. Forgot my password option is also not working....
  7. No video afer wakeup.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No video afer wakeup.: Usually when I need to use my pc I just wake it up and go but for the last two weeks I'm no longer getting a video signal But I hear all my drives spinning So I know it has woken. and the only way to fix is a hard restart. anybody know how to fix?...
  8. Login problems

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login problems: I am having to use my laptop to try and solve my wife’s login problems, we both normally login without passwords, that’s how we both prefer it. Lately however when she logged in she sometimes had to put in a password and sometimes not. This may be due to the surprising...
  9. Startup vs wakeup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup vs wakeup: A question for you guru's. I have my lockscreen background set to Windows spotlight. (I like their pictures ok? *Smile ). When I put my laptop to sleep and wake it up (like moving work from work to home) I have the windows spotlight picture when it wakes up. This is exactly...
  10. Cannot wakeup from sleep without login - PRO

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot wakeup from sleep without login - PRO: I know the ability to remove the lockscreen has been disabled, but I also no longer am unable to wake from sleep without using a password, even though I can autologin. The option to remove it has gone! Is this just me? Have gone back to a local account without a...