Windows 10: Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299

Discus and support Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I don't know if the updates are significant in this incident. The laptop was showing a login prompt in the early hours of this morning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephen_Ford, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299

Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299 cba985fa-d167-45c3-a0f1-b34dae47e9af?upload=true.jpg

I don't know if the updates are significant in this incident.

The laptop was showing a login prompt in the early hours of this morning after the updates KB4598291 & KB4598299 where applied yesterday. I was planning on having cup of tea when I noticed the prompt. I had turn that off years ago, so I was surprised and then concerned. It was asking for the pin, but that's on a flash drive. So rather than waiting for my Win7 laptop to wake up to get to my passwords I selected "change pin". At the penultimate point where the pin is regenerated, the dialogue said "Are you sure you want to do this. You will probably lose access to your data." ... Eeeek! so I selected cancel, but the desktop appeared, not the login dialogue as expected. The laptop seemed to be working.

I have an update policy set for "prompt to install updates", so it can't restart after an automatic update.

I have a repair flash drive but the implications of the login prompt got me worried.

On subsequent restarts there has not been a login prompt.

I thought it best to post my experience in case anyone else has the same happen to them. It seems there are no lasting effects. The laptop has restarted several times since without incident.

:)

Stephen_Ford, Feb 5, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

KB4598299 Cumulative Update Preview .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 Win Update

Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299 [​IMG]

Brink, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    No login prompt at login screen

From the icons in the lower right it looks Shohambs has already done that. These only appear on the login screen AFAIK.

Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299 [​IMG]

There should also be a list of one or more user accounts at the lower left, it's this that's missing. Without an account to select there won't be anything to sign in to.

Bree, Feb 5, 2021
  4. AndySharp Win User

Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299

No login prompt in Widows 10

Hi

The other day my computer started up as normal and got to the image where you should see the password prompt and the list of users able to access the computer. Unfortunately this screen does not appear, just the image. What does appear is the network icon, the ease of use icon and the shutdown icon and nothing else.

By forcing a startup repair, I managed to get into safe mode where the login prompt and list of users did appear. I was then able to log into Windows 10 OK.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?

AndySharp, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299

1. Login prompt appeared after updates KB4598291 & KB4598299 - Similar Threads - Login prompt appeared

2. "Phantom" user that appears on login prompts after installing Bluetooth drivers installation

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    "Phantom" user that appears on login prompts after installing Bluetooth drivers installation: Ever since I installed my drivers for my bluetooth adapter, I have had this new "user account" that has appeared on both my logon screen and other login prompts e.g. Remote Desktop.Login screen from the Lockscreen:Login screen from Remote Desktop and other apps:The reason I...
  3. Update failed KBKB4598291

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update failed KBKB4598291: HI I ask how clear without? recovery when a new device? tell me T.Schan SI sirpa1946 Update failed Hey Optional update KB4598291 has been downloaded but will not install. When I installed the update, there was a power outage at 20%, the installation will continue and the...
  4. Update KB4598291 will not install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update KB4598291 will not install.: The recent February KB4598291 update won't install.In fact all cumulative updates from November/20 on have not installed.Everything else WILL install but this. I looked at all the updates within the update itself for February and saw nothing that my system would want...
  5. Windows Update KB4598291 error 0x80073701

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update KB4598291 error 0x80073701: I am running windows 10 Home and I am also a Windows Insider. Late last year some updates came out and have caused me some issues. Currently my issue won't let me upgrade to windows 10 Pro. The update in question is KB4598291 and it always gives me error 0x80073701. I have...
  6. Weird MDM Error after installing KB4598291

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird MDM Error after installing KB4598291: So I've never seen this error in Event Viewer before, and it just started happing after installing KB4598291 on Windows 10 20H2 version 19042.789: Log name: Microsoft-Windows-DeviceManagement-Enterprise-Diagnostics-Provider/Admin Source:...
  7. Update KB4598291 or KB4601906 broke discord streaming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update KB4598291 or KB4601906 broke discord streaming: No matter what, audio will NOT work when streaming in discord, found others with the same problem. submitted by /u/LilOlPuff [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lbdmda/update_kb4598291_or_kb4601906_broke_discord/
  8. No login prompt

No login prompt: Hi all, I have been encountering an irritating issue. My PC, an Asus laptop with Windows 10 Home, does not prompt the login page after starting the PC. After a seemingly normal and fast boot, I get the screen with the clock and date, but after clicking on it, there is no...
  9. Login Prompt Missing After Windows 10 update

Login Prompt Missing After Windows 10 update: I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The upgrade went fine and I used the PC for about 4 hours without incident. Before shutting down, I did a check for updates. After the restart (required by the updates), I had no way to enter my password from the...
  10. No login prompt after locking screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No login prompt after locking screen: Hello, I locked my company computer last Friday because it had to make some calculations. When I came back on Tuesday and wanted to unlock it, there was only a black screen with my mouse pointer. After pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL the background of the login screen appeared, but...
  1. GHacks
Tags: