Windows 10: Login screen altered, login slow, and desktop icons missing after a hard restart

Discus and support Login screen altered, login slow, and desktop icons missing after a hard restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I use an HP Pavilion running Windows 10 64-bit. After what I believe was a simple and minor freeze due to a few large programs open, I recently tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DMDaniels, Jun 17, 2020.

1. DMDaniels Win User

Login screen altered, login slow, and desktop icons missing after a hard restart

I use an HP Pavilion running Windows 10 64-bit. After what I believe was a simple and minor freeze due to a few large programs open, I recently tried fixing the situation by opening the task manager. However, when that took too long, I managed to close the programs normally.

It was then the ctrl-alt-delete menu started loading, on a black screen, again taking a long time. At this point I figured I might as well just do a hard restart, since I had no files open to be at risk. I've done this plenty of times before without issue.

However, this time upon restarting the photo wallpaper of the startup screen was gone, replaced by plain blue. Logging in is normal, but takes excessively long, about 6 minutes. Once logged in, the desktop icons don't load, but my regular wallpaper does. The task bar is active but I get the loading circle on my cursor when I try to click it or the start button. I cannot open any program, including Task Manager. I can, however, shut down or restart the laptop normally through the ctrl-alt-delete menu, though this hasn't helped.

I can't seem to boot into safe mode, nor have I been able to open a command prompt to scan the system for errors.

:)

DMDaniels, Jun 17, 2020
  2. ATIonion Win User

login screens

goto CONTROL PANEL/ USER ACCOUNTS then you have to remove all the other accounts except for the one you logon with....then restart...it should bypass the login tho it will still show the screen for it...it will continue to load windows...good luck*Rockout :rockout:

edit:: it asks for a login when there are more then one accounts..or if you set a pw to your login name...

ATIonion, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Must Kill XP Login Icon

That's the funny thing, I don't have it passworded. But everytime it boots, it stops at the blue login screen and it will sit there until I click the icon, which takes me right to my desktop, no password required.

I know how to change the icon, but can't make the thing go away! *Mad Login screen altered, login slow, and desktop icons missing after a hard restart :mad:

error_f0rce, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Login screen altered, login slow, and desktop icons missing after a hard restart

Must Kill XP Login Icon

Auto Login? and you can use third party program to make the boot image/screen all black. It should, depending on your system speed, display the old style login menu for 1/4 of a second and then you're in.

So it would be old style NT login, with auto-login enabled. The icons dissapear as well.

newconroer, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Login screen altered, login slow, and desktop icons missing after a hard restart

1. Login screen altered, login slow, and desktop icons missing after a hard restart - Similar Threads - Login screen altered

2. Missing Login/Pin icon

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Missing Login/Pin icon: The login screen to Windows 10 does not show the password/pin icon upon initial startup. If I restart and then wait about 10 minutes, the password/pin icon will sometimes appear allowing me to login. What is causing this and how can I repair the issue? I am running a Toshiba...
  3. Missing Login/Pin icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Login/Pin icon: The login screen to Windows 10 does not show the password/pin icon upon initial startup. If I restart and then wait about 10 minutes, the password/pin icon will sometimes appear allowing me to login. What is causing this and how can I repair the issue? I am running a Toshiba...
  4. Missing Login/Pin icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remote Desktop Login: login settings are missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Login: login settings are missing: I have a question about remote desktop login: Two of our clients (Lenovo notebooks) do not have the login settings (user name, request login information). [img] [img] RemoteDesktop-Version: Shellversion 10.0.19041 Both notebooks are in a Windows domain. They can...
  6. Remote Desktop Login: login settings are missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Remote Desktop Login: login settings are missing: I have a question about remote desktop login: Two of our clients (Lenovo notebooks) do not have the login settings (user name, request login information). [img] [img] RemoteDesktop-Version: Shellversion 10.0.19041 Both notebooks are in a Windows domain. They can...
  7. Slow login after mouse issues and restart.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow login after mouse issues and restart.: Every once in a while after using a mouse or having an xbox controller plugged in for a while, my laptop starts acting strange. For the xbox controller even after unplugging it, any time that I open the start menu it acts as if I'm spamming the tab key, yet for whatever...
  8. Desktop icons missing on domain account login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons missing on domain account login: I have a user that logged into a new workstation Lenovo Yoga and their desktop icons from their profile are not populating. They have icons, just the ones that they added Chrome, Office, etc. Show icons option is turned on, tablet mode turned off, restarted explorer.exe....
  9. The login screen is missing:

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The login screen is missing:: For my wife:: Windows 10: The login screen where I enter the pin is missing the box where I would enter the pin. It started after the last big windows update. She got it to go into safe mode and asked it to get rid of the latest update but the problem still exists. Tech...
  10. login screen missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    login screen missing: upon booting win10, login screen and easy access are missing. After attempting boot from repair disc, screen locked at Choose your keyboard layout. Attempts to boot to safe mode unsuccessful....