Windows 10: Login Screen - Frozen Forcing Hard Reboot

Discus and support Login Screen - Frozen Forcing Hard Reboot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On two separate occasions over the past month (the last being 2018-02-27 around 1830hrs), I've locked my computer using the Windows+L option only to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ericnixmd, Feb 27, 2018.

1. ericnixmd Win User

Login Screen - Frozen Forcing Hard Reboot

On two separate occasions over the past month (the last being 2018-02-27 around 1830hrs), I've locked my computer using the Windows+L option only to return to find it frozen. I use Dell's Security Tools (DDP Console) on my Precision 3520 laptop for FIPS fingerprint identification for login.

With both occasions, when I attempt to login with my fingerprint, it is not recognized and nothing happens. If I click the login screen and type my password, I get the spinning login circle that does not go away. The first time I let it try to login for >10 minutes. Yesterday I rebooted the computer after about a minute. Each time the system becomes unresponsive and requires holding down the power key to restart.

I'm running a lot of programs (see below) when this occurs.

My system information is:
    • Dell Precision 3520
    • Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6 @ 3.00 GHz
    • 32 GB ECC Memory
    • 480 GB SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro Workstation Edition

Programs running at the time:
    • Amazon Music
    • Philips Device Control Center (for a SpeechMike Premium Air dictation microphone)
    • Nuance Dragon Medical Practice Edition v4 (based on Dragon Profession v15.1)
    • Citrix Receiver v4.11.0.17061 (network connection to my hospital's electronic medical record; Epic)
    • Microsoft Outlook 2016 (whatever the latest version with Outlook 365 is; can't find version number)
    • +/- Google Chrome
    • Dropbox 43.4.50

I've enclosed the recommended log files. Any help would be appreciated as this is a major pain to reboot during the middle of an active shift in a very busy emergency department.

Thanks!

:)

ericnixmd, Feb 27, 2018
  2. VTIBLF Win User

windows 10 Start-up problems

Windows 10 has been on laptop for months, worked OK. Now it starts up, but nothing works ... total freeze. Hard reboot does not display Function options for safe mode or any other option. Goes direct to login screen, and then to desktop, but is frozen.
    Any suggestions on how I can restore to previous restore point when no options are displayed?

VTIBLF, Feb 27, 2018
  3. Unable to find any pictures I have taken since Cyan Update

Can you hook it up to a PC and browse it via File Explorer?

BTW, a soft reset is just a reboot. You can do that by holding down just the power button until the slide down to power off screen is shown, and sliding down the lock screen as it prompts. It is the equivalent of rebooting your PC, or powering it off using
    shutdown, and turning it back on. The power button/volume button is a forced shutdown, generally used if the device isn't responding. It is like your PC is frozen and you hold down the power button till it forcibly shuts down. The normal shutdown, is better
    if you are just trying to cleanup the device (or PC). The forced shutdown is there if something is locked up, or frozen.

Sven Johannsen, Feb 27, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    I'm not a BSOD expert, so I'll leave the logs to one of them.
    But, have you turned Fast Startup off? Actually, with an SSD, you should have run the following command in an admin command prompt, to completely disable it:

powercgf -h off

Just a thought. It may/may not have any effect.

simrick, Feb 28, 2018
  5. ericnixmd Win User
    It was turned off, but I'll check to make sure an update didn't disable it (it's done it before).

ericnixmd, Feb 28, 2018
  6. simrick Win User
    Yeah, does it all the time. But the powercfg -h off will also take care of the hibernation issue, which should be turned off anyway when using an SSD, as it causes unnecessary writes and space on the thing. That *may* be the problem for the lockup; it's just a wag though.

simrick, Feb 28, 2018
  7. axe0 New Member
    Hi ericnixmd,

From where is the BIOS version downloaded?
    The current installed BIOS version isn't from Dell according to their support page.

axe0, Mar 1, 2018
  8. ericnixmd Win User

It was downloaded from their support page last week.

ericnixmd, Mar 2, 2018
  9. axe0 New Member
    I see now that I made a small mistake and inadvertently looked things up about the wrong system.

Configure Driver Verifier
    Please run driver verifier using the following settings for 48 hours.
    • Special Pool
    • Force IRQL checking
    • Pool Tracking
    • Deadlock Detection
    • Security Checks
    • Miscellaneous Checks
    • Power framework delay fuzzing
    • DDI compliance checking

Warning: driver verifier can cause boot issues and/or performance issues.

Resetting driver verifier options (recommended in this order)
    • In normal mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
    • In safe mode open an administrator command prompt and enter the below command
    • On 3 boot failures, you'll boot automatically to the recovery options,
      • click Troubleshoot
      • go to the advanced options
      • choose command prompt
      • enter the below command
    • Boot with the recovery media, see above 4 steps in option 3.
    • Via the recovery options or recovery media, select a restore point prior enabling driver verifier
    Code: verifier /reset[/quote]

Crashed when running driver verifier

axe0, Mar 2, 2018
  10. ericnixmd Win User
    I'm on vacation right now for my wife's birthday. I'll try this when I get back Tuesday. What does this do?

ericnixmd, Mar 2, 2018
  11. axe0 New Member
    Nothing more than validating actions the selected drivers do, if a driver does something it shouldn't driver verifier catches it and crashes the system.

Thema:

1. Login Screen - Frozen Forcing Hard Reboot - Similar Threads - Login Screen Frozen

2. Random Hard Freezes of Entire System Requiring Forced Reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Hard Freezes of Entire System Requiring Forced Reboot: I'm experiencing random system freezes where the screen is stuck on the last frame & the audio stutters or buzzes the last played sound. It is completely unresponsive & requires a reset or forced shut down via the reset or power buttons on the tower. System specs:CPU: Intel...
  3. Random Hard Freezes of Entire System Requiring Forced Reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Hard Freezes of Entire System Requiring Forced Reboot: I'm experiencing random system freezes where the screen is stuck on the last frame & the audio stutters or buzzes the last played sound. It is completely unresponsive & requires a reset or forced shut down via the reset or power buttons on the tower. System specs:CPU: Intel...
  4. Computer Black Screen but I Still get audio forcing me to hard reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Black Screen but I Still get audio forcing me to hard reboot: When I'm gaming, and this problem has worsened over time, my computer will randomly black screen, and the monitors will show as if nothing is plugged into HDMI 1. I still hear audio. I can then do nothing but hard reboot the computer, the keyboard shortcut Win + Ctrl + Shift...
  5. Computer Black Screen but I Still get audio forcing me to hard reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Black Screen but I Still get audio forcing me to hard reboot: When I'm gaming, and this problem has worsened over time, my computer will randomly black screen, and the monitors will show as if nothing is plugged into HDMI 1. I still hear audio. I can then do nothing but hard reboot the computer, the keyboard shortcut Win + Ctrl + Shift...
  6. My PC is frozen on login screen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC is frozen on login screen.: After exiting out of my account on the computer i just switched it to another account to let the password be entered. Its been frozen for a day now and im not sure what the problem is. submitted by /u/JimothyPepper [link] [comments]...
  7. Forcing Login Screen after boot

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Forcing Login Screen after boot: I just installed Windows 10 yesterday from Windows 8.1, and I honestly hate it this far. Whenever I (re-)boot the pc, Windows automatically logs me in to my desktop. A friend of mine has Win10 too, doesn't use a password for his account but does get the normal login...
  8. Frozen keyboard and mouse at login screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Frozen keyboard and mouse at login screen: Recently I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 however this caused several issues with my laptop so I reversed the upgrade back to 8.1. My Kaspersky AntiVirus would then not work leaving just a blank logo on my desktop. I tried to uninstall kaspersky using the uninstall...
  9. Keyboard frozen on login screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard frozen on login screen: Hi, please can someone help me out? I haven't used my dell inspiron laptop for a month or so, turned it on yesterday and it did some sort of upgrade which took a while. Eventually took me to my Windows 10 login page. I could move the cursor around and use the tab key and...
  10. Windows 10 login screen is frozen

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 login screen is frozen: Hello! I would be very grateful if you can help me. I have Windows 10 on my laptop. Today I switched it on, the welcome screen did not appeared as usual but the login/password screen showed instead. However I cannot type the password, cannot select the power button or...