Windows 10: login screen locks up

Discus and support login screen locks up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to install Windows 10 fresh from a usb but it said my Windows 7 key didn't work and I never got a Windows 10 key so I'm not sure what to do,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by happyten, Jul 29, 2015.

1. happyten Win User

login screen locks up

I tried to install Windows 10 fresh from a usb but it said my Windows 7 key didn't work and I never got a Windows 10 key so I'm not sure what to do, the upgrade install won't login. I enter password, then proceed but it locks up. if I click anywhere after a minute the screen goes black ave nothing happens.

can anyone tell me
    a: where to get the Windows 10 key so I can do a fresh install

or b: how to fix this login screen
    I tried safe mode repair but it said it's unable to repair and I should restart the pc.

lol
    thanks *Smile

:)

happyten, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 Insider Preview 14342 Lock Screen background is black.

When I switch on my laptop, the Lock Screen background picture(which I've set on Windows Spotlight) shows only a default picture each time. Which also shows up on the login screen

Now when I lock the laptop the Lock Screen background is completely black, though the windows spotlight image does show up on the login screen. ****? How may I repair this on my side or is there gonna be an update?

Edit: After much research I've come to know that the lock screen on boot up is called the system lock screen, and the login screen after that is the system login screen. The screen that is black is the USER lock screen. Cortana, the clock and everything
    else appears fine on the black screen.

Saurabh Wanivadekar, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Lock Screen From Login Screen

Hello, I know from the Windows 10 desktop I can use windows key-L to lock the computer. I can use ctrl-alt-delete and choose lock to lock the computer. What I want to be able to do, is move the mouse or press enter to bring up the login then cancel the
    login screen to return to the lock screen. From the login screen I cannot use Windows-L to lock it or use ctrl-alt-delete and choose lock either. Is there any way to abort the login and return to the lock screen?

Philip.Borchert, Jul 29, 2015
  4. login screen locks up

I have the same problem even though I installed from media. It's been locked for hours and nothing is happening.

fusionguy200, Jul 29, 2015
  5. happyten Win User
    I don't think there is any way to fix it. I did a fresh wipe and install of Windows 7 then 10 it still locks up at login.

you can uninstall 10 by booting reset at the boot screen before login, it'll run automatic repair which has an option: advanced options, troubleshoot, advanced options, go back to the previous build.

I anticipated Windows 10 for so long, and now I can't use it, so long.

happyten, Jul 29, 2015
  6. How do you boot reset? It's been stuck over night.

7. Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  8. login screen locks up

9. @fusionguy200,
    I'm sorry, a confusion of different posting in one thread, you are really better off starting your own thread for this issue, as the original poster can log in.
    @happyten, Can you please confirm that you installed Windows 10 as an upgrade from within Windows 7.

Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  10. I would, but right now I'm trying what happyten did by going back to previous build. Will try after.

fusionguy200, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

login screen locks up

1. login screen locks up - Similar Threads - login screen locks

2. Laptop Lock Screen login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Lock Screen login: Windows 10: So I don't know what happened to my laptop I came home and opened it now when I try to type my lock screen password it won't let me write anything my laptop keyboard is automatically pressing "=" key it's not stopping how can I disable my laptop's keyboard please...
  3. Laptop Lock Screen login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Lock Screen login: Windows 10: So I don't know what happened to my laptop I came home and opened it now when I try to type my lock screen password it won't let me write anything my laptop keyboard is automatically pressing "=" key it's not stopping how can I disable my laptop's keyboard please...
  4. Laptop Lock Screen login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Locked Out - Login Screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Locked Out - Login Screen: I've always bypassed the login screen using netplwz, have done this forever, but I recently changed my password in netplwz (as i,ve done many times in the past) , rebooted, and now I get the login screen with a message that the incorrect password is being used.... when I...
  6. Duplicate login on Lock screen.

Duplicate login on Lock screen.: This has taken me months but I have finally got it ! After a w10 update I suddenly had 2 log in accounts,when trying to open my laptop with login disabled. both in my name changing name doesn't work, it just duplicates it! one with pic my real account the other had no pic...
  7. Locked login screen

Locked login screen: [IMG] i am being asked to log in but i have not set up sn account. Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locked-login-screen/0c44ccac-b666-4c9f-a080-668a48310b78
  8. Show Lock Screen on Login Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Show Lock Screen on Login Screen: When I set the Lock Screen to display for the Login Screen it does show, but just as a blurry image of the actual image set for the lock screen does this happen for everyone or does the Login screen show the same as it does for the lock screen? WIN 10 Pro 64Bit Thank you,...
  9. Lock/Login/Welcome Screen

Lock/Login/Welcome Screen: Hello, i would like to ask if there is a way to like start my windows 10 pc to select an account before automatically starting to one that has no password? Because, on our pc, we have two accounts/users, One is my personal and more organized user/account that "has a...
  10. lock/login screen issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    lock/login screen issue: hi. just an FYI--MS was of absolutely no help here--no surprise there, though... i have personalized the lock/login screen with a picture from my computer. it always showed upon start/restart. all of a sudden--at first only from time to time, but recently, more frequent--a...