Windows 10: Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?

Discus and support Logon prompt not detecting smartcard? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; All, Isn't Windows supposed to detect a smartcard and prompt for a PIN at logon? When I insert my card, nothing happens. I can then login using a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by throwaway51, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?

All,

Isn't Windows supposed to detect a smartcard and prompt for a PIN at logon? When I insert my card, nothing happens. I can then login using a local account, open my card manager application and see the card with the identification and certificate information perfectly.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

:)

throwaway51, Jan 19, 2019

2. logon with smartcard

Is it possible and if yes how to logon in windows 10 (home version 64-bits) with a smartcard?
    Open Source software?
    Microsoft build-in?
    I already installed the drivers for the smartcard reader and the middleware.
    I have a Belgian Eid card and I can connect to sites which need a smartcard so that is ok.
    thanks in advance, gabriël

aliskander, Jan 19, 2019
  3. xy677 Win User
    Smartcard login

Hi All

I have started to use a Smartcard to login to my Windows 10 Education machine. Logging in works fine but the one annoying problem I have is that when I boot up the machine and am at the login screen it ALWAYS defaults to using a password login. This even happens after successfully logging in with the Smartcard. ie: it doesn't "remember" that I last used a Smart card to login.

Is there a way to set the Smartcard as the default login? I still want the password login to be an option but I always want the Smartcard to be the default.

Basically, I want to turn the machine on and to then be presented with a PIN entry screen to login with my Smart card. (I'm the only person that uses this machine)

Currently I have to ALWAYS change from a password login by selecting the Smartcard on the logon screen and only then can I enter the PIN.

I also have to change from a password logon to a Smartcard logon even if I have just locked my machine!

So, is there a way I can set Windows 10 to ALWAYS default to using a Smartcard login?

I have clients that use Smartcards with Windows 7 and it always remembers the last logon type. Can Windows 10 do this as well?

For those interested I am using the following to use a Smartcard on a workgroup machine:

http://www.mysmartlogon.com/

xy677, Jan 19, 2019
  4. Hampus C Win User

Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?

Smartcard for Windows 10 Logon

Hi,

I hope everything is good with you guys!

To start off, I know there are lots of posts about smartcards and readers, but none of them has answered my question to 100%.

I'm about to start using smartcard for my Windows 10 Logon, but there are tons of different readers and cards so I doesn't really know what I should and can use.

Can anyone that knows this type of things help me on the way?

I was looking at some Gemalto cards, "IDPrime .NET 510 yellow (with OTP ready for CAS server customers)" and "IDPrime MD 830 B FIPS 140-2 Level 2". Can any of those cards be the right thing to use?

Best Regards,

Hampus

Hampus C, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?

1. Logon prompt not detecting smartcard? - Similar Threads - Logon prompt detecting

2. Windows 11: Browsers not prompting for smartcard/security devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Browsers not prompting for smartcard/security devices: I'm using a Yubikey USB-A Device as second authentication factor for some websites to login.In Windows 10, every browser showed me this popup and everything was fine:After I upgraded to Windows 11, I noticed that this popup doesn't appear and I can't login to all these...
  3. Windows 11: Browsers not prompting for smartcard/security devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: Browsers not prompting for smartcard/security devices: I'm using a Yubikey USB-A Device as second authentication factor for some websites to login.In Windows 10, every browser showed me this popup and everything was fine:After I upgraded to Windows 11, I noticed that this popup doesn't appear and I can't login to all these...
  4. Windows 10 Pro: no more logon prompt

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Pro: no more logon prompt: Hey folks, On my company's computer with Windows 10 Pro, starting from yesterday there is not more the logon password box. I have tried all the suggested solutions that I've found on the web, included CRTL+ALT+DEL, restore the system from a previous saved restore point,...
  5. Black screen at logon command32 prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen at logon command32 prompt: Hello!My first thread of a error ever here and also my first post.Having a very persistent problem that i cant resolve myself.I keep getting a black screen with only mouse cursor available and a open command window.The only way to get past it it is to type explorer.exe in...
  6. Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?: All, Isn't Windows supposed to detect a smartcard and prompt for a PIN at logon? When I insert my card, nothing happens. I can then login using a local account, open my card manager application and see the card with the identification and certificate information perfectly....
  7. No Logon Prompt for Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No Logon Prompt for Windows 10: I have had this issue before when I had connected an external monitor but through this forum was able to fix it. I have had no issues for several weeks. On Thursday, after my laptop went into hibernation mode, now I do not have a logon prompt again. The screensaver comes on...
  8. Smartcard login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Smartcard login: Hi All I have started to use a Smartcard to login to my Windows 10 Education machine. Logging in works fine but the one annoying problem I have is that when I boot up the machine and am at the login screen it ALWAYS defaults to using a password login. This even happens...
  9. logon with smartcard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    logon with smartcard: Is it possible and if yes how to logon in windows 10 (home version 64-bits) with a smartcard? Open Source software? Microsoft build-in? I already installed the drivers for the smartcard reader and the middleware. I have a Belgian Eid card and I can connect to sites which...
  10. Logon Screen replace with command prompt. logonUI.exe?

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon Screen replace with command prompt. logonUI.exe?: Hello, I purchased windows 10 to replace 7 last year and never really used the PC much afterwards until recently. Everything was fine still. I re-downloaded Origin (gaming program) along with Sim City. A few days afterwards, my logon screen has been replace with some sort...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Detecting if Windows Logon Screen