Windows 10: Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user

Discus and support Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On a friends laptop which was given to him, on the startup/logon screen he sees 2 names. His own and the previous owner. He said he deleted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by snifferpro, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user

On a friends laptop which was given to him, on the startup/logon screen he sees 2 names. His own and the
    previous owner.

He said he deleted the user account for the previous owner and if I go to users, it only shows him as the sole
    user as administrator.

If I use the netplwiz command to try an hide the original user, it only shows the new user and I think it was
    users/workgroup. The Users/workgroup is greyed out so I cannot change or delete this user.

If the original user account who was the administrator was deleted, why is her name showing up
    on the logon screen?

This laptop is running Win 10 Home.

Assistance needed to show only current user/administrator on the logon screen.

:)

snifferpro, Dec 28, 2016

2. Authentication using Password+PIN

Hi,

Users have hardware Token device and software token application on Mobile.

So they login using windows password and generates the PIN from hardware Token Device and Mobile apps and enter it in place of PIN for authentication.

I want help to do the changes in the logon screen; on logon screen it should show only two user.

1) Administrator 2) Radius user

It should not show "other user" options. or if shows then users without Password+PIN cant login in that system

PIN should be compulsory for every users either it local or Domain users.

Regards,

Bachchulal varma

bachchulalvarma, Dec 28, 2016
  3. Only admin account showing in logon screen Windows 10 Home

Hi there,

Only one of my three user accounts is showing on the logon screen, which is the admin. All of them are showing in the netplwiz or user configurations.

Both SAFE MODE logon screen and Boot repair/recovery only display my admin account.

Newly added test user accounts do not show on logon screen either.

For troubleshooting, I can delete these user accounts if necessary.

Info: Windows 10 Home ver. 1607 build 14393.351 (this is a 'clean' installation from the built-in Reset this PC option)

Any help?

SimonBaush, Dec 28, 2016
  4. Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user

There is a very similar posting in the User Accounts and Family Safety. Unfortunately no solution. Think it on first page so recent.

Can I ask, what happens if you click on User?
    When the user was removed were their data files deleted?
    The user that was deleted, were they a local account or a Microsoft account.

No real theories but data collection.

Caledon Ken, Dec 28, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is a little trick to removing ghost users from the login screen, I can't remember exactly which option it is in netplwiz that needs to be cycled between off and on but there are only two. Under the advanced tab, check the box for "Require users to click CTL-ALT-DEL", click apply, then uncheck it again and click apply.

Under the Users tab, uncheck the box for "Users must enter a username and password..." Click apply. Click cancel on the window that appears. The checkmark in the box for "users must enter a username and password...." should have an X again automatically. Click apply with it checked again. Then exit NETPLWIZ.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user

1. Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user - Similar Threads - Logon Screen shows

2. Show all domain users in the logon screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show all domain users in the logon screen: Hey!I have a Windows 10 PC that is part of a domain and has multiple Microsoft Entra ID accounts installed.How can I display all of those accounts in the Windows Logon screen?Right now it only shows the last account that logged in, but typing the email every time I need to...
  3. Show all domain users in the logon screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Show all domain users in the logon screen: Hey!I have a Windows 10 PC that is part of a domain and has multiple Microsoft Entra ID accounts installed.How can I display all of those accounts in the Windows Logon screen?Right now it only shows the last account that logged in, but typing the email every time I need to...
  4. Show all domain users in the logon screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleted User 1 of 2 User Profiles.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted User 1 of 2 User Profiles.: Win 11 Pro. I have had 2 User Profiles and the important one, of course, was accidentally deleted. Microsoft says there's nothing they can do. I can recover most files with Carbonite, but not the apps., etc. Is there any person or business that could help? Thanks....
  6. Can't access other users at logon screen - Only an old user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't access other users at logon screen - Only an old user: Hi As the title suggests, I cannot see a way of logging-on to Windows. At present, an old user (no longer contactable) comes up by default, but I don't know his password. There is no option for other users - I've tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, Alt-F4, Win-L and other combinations...
  7. 2 Users in the sign in menu but I only have 1 user in the user menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 Users in the sign in menu but I only have 1 user in the user menu.: Hello, I updated my PC from windows 7 to windows 10 like couple months ago and it asked me to lock my PC (pin code, password etc.) so I did. Then this happened, one day after I added my school's account to my PC I had 2 accounts in the sign in menu after you turn on/restart...
  8. How to show user logon screen with switch user by default?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to show user logon screen with switch user by default?: Hello, I've added another user to my pc but I want my user to be on by default and show this screen anytime a logon is required (with the Switch User button): (not my picture) [ATTACH] Thanks, Harry...
  9. Windows 10 Logon Screen - Only Shows Last User

Windows 10 Logon Screen - Only Shows Last User: I have a Windows 10 Pro PC that was originally set up with an AzureAD account. I only want it with 2 different local accounts now which I set up. When it comes to the logon screen it only shows the last local user name there. The only choice is to use that one or "Other...
  10. 2 User names on logon screen all of a sudden

2 User names on logon screen all of a sudden: I just recently reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from scratch 2 days ago. All of a sudden I noticed yesterday evening I have 2 usernames on the logon screen. It normally boots directly into Windows (I turn off requiring password on NETPLWIZ screen). But now it comes up with Invalid...