Windows 10: Logon Takes 3-4 mins

Discus and support Logon Takes 3-4 mins in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey all Using Windows 10 Redstone, intel i7 laptop, with ssd. Startup takes about 8-10 secs after restart (power up). I've been using the hibernate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bonc, Sep 15, 2016.

1. bonc Win User

Logon Takes 3-4 mins

Hey all
    Using Windows 10 Redstone, intel i7 laptop, with ssd.
    Startup takes about 8-10 secs after restart (power up). I've been using the hibernate feature for a long time, but last week when I restarted my computer it did not log on after I've entered my password. The welcome logo kept spinning - i force shut down, tried safe boot and systemcheck, antivirus scans, nothing... Then I gave up and started watching the spinning welcome logo. After 2-3 mins my desktop came. So I've been using my computer like this for a couple of weeks, if I don't hibernate i cannot log in faster than 3 mins.
    I don't know what caused the problem nor when did it start. What logs should I provide?
    Thanks in advance!

:)

2. petrib Win User

message takes 3 mins

Sounds very much like a prank or a scam. Do not pay anybody anything to "release" your winnings from some holding account or something like that.

Read also this:

Advance-fee scam - Wikipedia

petrib, Sep 15, 2016
  3. message takes 3 mins

please help when i press send message it takes about 3 minutes to actually send the message. in the mean time sending message appears on the screen and the phone is then frozen,no buttons will then work until after the message has been sent, thanks

scotttenerife, Sep 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Logon Takes 3-4 mins

Hi, I understand your problem to be the length of time for your desktop to appear after logging on.

Initial steps:

Please can you provide a screenshot of your task manager when your PC is nominally idle.
    Make sure that where any column (say CPU) shows significant % usage that you click on that column's tab, so the usage is arranged high to low. I.e. so that we can see what's using that resource.

Repeat for each column showing significant resource usage.

Could you try booting to safe mode, and reporting how long it takes from logging in to the desktop appearing?

Similarly, try a clean boot.

Can you also please complete your system specs:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  5. bonc Win User
    Hey
    Thank you for investigating this problem, and sorry for taking too long to answer. These are the task manager screenshots after a restart. Please note that I used dropbox's screenshot feature and took screenshots one after other, so that was why dropbox was using that much disk and network.
    Dropbox - Task Manager Screenshots

Safe boot does not have this problem. Will try and edit for clean boot.
    EDIT: I could not find the clean boot option in msconfig.

bonc, Oct 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Clean boot:
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

Many good tutorials there if unsure how to do things.

Given the difference with booting to Safe Mode, you have a good chance of identifying the problem program or driver.
    (There are technical ways of analysing the boot sequence, but elimination is easier).

There's nothing untoward in the screenshots, so I'd say it's a question of what's starting up.

You can also do this - a routine procedure, which may well show nothing, but is a good idea to do from time to time- most who run it find some correction made:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

dalchina, Oct 1, 2016
  7. bonc Win User
    There sure are a lot of steps to identify the problem... If only I restarted often so I'd know what caused the problem when it first happened.. I did chkdsk and sfc /scannow when the problem first arove but nothing changed.. I'll try the steps and identify the problem! Thanks a lot.

bonc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Logon Takes 3-4 mins

1. Logon Takes 3-4 mins - Similar Threads - Logon Takes mins

2. Windows take 10 min to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows take 10 min to boot: Hi I have a problem, my Windows is taking... 20 minute to boot , I reinstalled Windows No problem occurred, but after two days and after downloading the updates, the same problem occurred windows take 20 min to boot Ssd is new...
  3. NVIDEO 4:3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVIDEO 4:3: Boas, eu jogo Counter Strike GO NA RESOLUÇÃO 4:3 sem barras, o que faz com que a tela fica em uma resolução menor esticada, já vi as respostas que dão a este problema, mas a situação é que não tenho o grupo "monitor" quando abre a NVIDIA, poderiam me ajudar?...
  4. Logon taking too long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Logon taking too long: I'm running Windows 10 Home, so no solutions involving Group Policy Editor; Windows Update is up to date, all drivers are up to date (updated through the manufacturer's website); I've run DISM, SFC, CHKDSK; I've done a clean boot, disabled all startup programs; Safe mode...
  5. windows 10 takes 4-5 min to sleep or shutdown on a fresh install [SSD]

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10 takes 4-5 min to sleep or shutdown on a fresh install [SSD]: step 1- A fresh install without internet connection step 2- shuts down is 10 seconds and sleeps is 3-4 seconds on SSD step 3- after I connect to internet, OS downloads Intel DPTF and some graphic driver along with some Intel MEI(Management engine interface) step 4- reboot...
  6. Server logon is too slow at Welcome screen, RDP takes around 2-3 min to login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Server logon is too slow at Welcome screen, RDP takes around 2-3 min to login: Hi Team, The Server logon is too slow at Welcome screen, RDP takes around 2-3 min to login. this is for Windows server 2016. Kindly help me to resolve this issue. [ATTACH]...
  7. WI-FI Internet is restarting after 3-4 min

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WI-FI Internet is restarting after 3-4 min: My WI FI Internet restarts after every 3-4 minutes and I can not find the solution, I tried several things but I have not solved it yet, and the biggest problem is that I can not play any game because it gets me out of the game. A week ago I had no problem, so please help...
  8. Win 10 taking 3 min to launch link or open Word doc

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 taking 3 min to launch link or open Word doc: My Dell Optiplex 980 (Win 10 16.299, 8 gb RAM) has been working fine, until this morning, when on waking up from sleep it abruptly slowed to a crawl. That's 'crawl' as in taking 3 minutes to open Word, another 3 to move from one doc to another in the same directory, 5 min to...
  9. Macrium Free - absolutely no reason to avoid taking backups 4 Mins !

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Free - absolutely no reason to avoid taking backups 4 Mins !: Hi there With speed of modern computers and I/O devices there's really no reason to avoid taking backups -- so many problems could be avoided if people imaged their systems regularly. Here's a reasonable backup - base W10 system with Office 2016 installed and a few small...
  10. Startup takes appx 4~5 min to welcome, use TUT Repair/Inplaceupgrade?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Startup takes appx 4~5 min to welcome, use TUT Repair/Inplaceupgrade?: My W10 64 startup has been getting slower and slower, from the windows 'blue square screen' to actually entering in my password takes around 4~5min. It seems to arrive at the welcome screen - Mountains and Lake - (with red backpack in foreground) fairly quickly I then tap...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why login to windows take 15 mins

2. logon duration 3 mins