Windows 10: Long black screen before login

Discus and support Long black screen before login in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Whenever I turn my computer on it will go through the initial boot phases (show the Asus logo, display available drives), but then it just shows a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Puzzlz, May 9, 2020.

1. /u/Puzzlz Win User

Long black screen before login

Whenever I turn my computer on it will go through the initial boot phases (show the Asus logo, display available drives), but then it just shows a blank monitor (black screen) for about 2 minutes. During this time I don't see my cursor, no keyboard button combination does anything either. It never fails to boot into Windows (after the 2 minutes the login screen is shown), it just takes an excruciatingly long time.

I have Windows 10 installed on my SSD and used to have boot times of like 10 seconds (from cold shutdown to usable). Now anytime I shutdown my desktop and turn it back on the total boot time is as described above. This problem also occurs during a Reboot.

SPECS: ``` Dual Monitor setup

Windows 10 Home, Build 18363

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

500GB SSD (with Windows on it)

2TB HDD

Intel Core i7-3770

16GB RAM ```

Things I've tried/checked: ```

There were some updates pending to be downloaded and installed for a while. I hadn't updated it yet since I wanted to backup my system before updating. I was hoping updating would solve the problem, but alas, they persist.

I have made sure my graphics card is up to date.

I have seen some people have it relate to Hibernate/Fast startup. I hadn't changed any of those settings before this started happening, so I don't think that is the issue, but just to make sure I did test it with them on and off (usually have Hibernate off and fast startup on). The problem occurs either way.

I have tried booting in Safe Mode, the same thing happens as well.

I don't have that many processes starting on boot either (they also haven't changed since before the problem starting occurring). ``` This problem started showing itself a couple of weeks ago. As far as I can remember there wasn't anything that I installed of significance before this started happening.

Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/Puzzlz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Puzzlz, May 9, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 23, 2020
  3. Black Screen with Pointer

Hi Costa,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We will surely help you with simple steps to resolve your issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Is the black screen with courser appears after login or before login?

• Did you make any changes to the computer, prior to the issue?
    I suggest you to refer to the below link where the same type of issue had been discussed, refer to the suggestion given by
    Sharath Srinivasa on August 7, 2015.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 23, 2020
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

Black screen after login AND does not show up on network; Can still re

I've been having problems where when I boot my desktop PC I have the following happening:

• The PC was up, I was logged in, and all seemed fine.
    • It would not show up on the network to other computers
    • I could still get to the internet
    • I shut down
    • Boot up OK
    • Picture fine, and can bring up login screen
    • Login
    • Goes to black screen with cursor
    • I can Ctrl-alt-del and get the list of options
    • I can select task manger
    • It returns to black screen
    • Still cannot be seen on network
    • I CAN remote to it from another PC< but it presents a black screen also

I have fixed this by performing a restore point, but after a few days I 'm back to the same problem. I'm thinking it has to do with a recent patch being applied.

I've done a search on black screen, but there are so many...I haven't run across one that is similar. Most I'm finding are old...and it seems to me this is a recent update problem.

Any ideas?

[Update]
    The Task Manager does come up if wait long enough. Shows no apps running. Long list of processes running. I tried this:

• Press Windows CMD key
    • Typed in Device Manager (Hoping to go in and see if anything has !, or check video drivers
    Nothing happens

56Kruiser, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Long black screen before login - Similar Threads - Long black screen

2. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  3. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  4. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login: I was recently doing a system restore after my computer started acting wonky, however, the restore got hung up, so after about 10 hours or so, I gave up and did a hard shutdown. Now when I’m booting up my laptop, i get the Acer splash screen, however, after that I just get a...
  5. Long black screen with cursor before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Long black screen with cursor before login: I have recently reinstalled Windows 10, after upgrading my hardware (new motherboard, processor, ram and added sdd), but whenever I start my PC, I get to a point where I have a black screen and a cursor before the login screen. It will get to the login screen at one point,...
  6. Long black screen before bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long black screen before bios: Hey everyone! So a while back after doing a Windows 10 update I noticed that my pc was taking a LONG time to boot past the bios. Id turn it on go make a coffee and about 4 minutes later Id hear a beep from it loading. My system is about 10 years old but it's an...
  7. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen before login: Hi, I have a desktop PC, about 6 years old, running Windows 10. In the last few days, it was coming up with a black screen showing the curser only, randomly, after being used for a short while nothing specifc seemed to trigger it, I was just browsing the Internet or...
  8. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...
  9. Long boot start / black screen before login WIN10

Long boot start / black screen before login WIN10: Hello, today I updated Windows 7 to 10 . After configuring the system, I decided to restart it. During startup, the Windows logo is displayed for about 5 seconds, then black screen for half a minute ... which is pretty damn annoying. Then login screen (automatic login ) and...
  10. Long Black Screen before Boot

Long Black Screen before Boot: Excellent. Yes Brink's tutorial provide a lot of information.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows showing black screen before login