Windows 10: Long Date Not showing in Taskbar

Discus and support Long Date Not showing in Taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have the long date format set in the taskbar (dddd dd MMMM yyyy) and it works every day except for Wednesday. On that day the only thing that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by no1yak, Sep 28, 2017.

1. no1yak Win User

Long Date Not showing in Taskbar

I have the long date format set in the taskbar (dddd dd MMMM yyyy) and it works every day except for Wednesday. On that day the only thing that is shown is the time.
    Tried using short month ie Sep but nothing seems to work. No big deal but, just wondering if anyone else has come across this. Latest build Win 10 pro 15063.632.

:)

no1yak, Sep 28, 2017

2. Date info not showing in taskbar under time

This is a public forum of users just like you, we have no inside knowledge.

I'd recommend you put your suggestion into the Feedback app that is built-in to your computer. That program WILL let you get updates when your issue is acted upon.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Sep 28, 2017
  3. kglading Win User
    Date info not showing in taskbar under time

After lots of searching, I found a similar problem in another forum. It said this problem only happened on Wednesdays. I checked and that was my problem too. The solution turned out to be that only the short date format was used in the taskbar for the
    date, so you had to set the short date format. That (kind of) fixed the problem. I like to use this format Wednesday ‎21 ‎March ‎2018 (dddd dd MMMM yyyy) but would like to use 21 Mar 2018 (dddd dd MMM yyyy) but this does NOT work. The format I now have
    set works until the name of the month gets too long (like September.) I found this by changing the date since the Wednesday issue made me suspect it was a problem with the length of the text allowed. (Sorry, I'm an ex-programmer.)

Anyway, a fix of this "feature" before September and a notification to me that it is fixed would be appreciated.

kglading, Sep 28, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Odd, I'll have to wait until Wednesday to see. Does it do the same with dddd, d MMMM yyyy?

Where are you changing this? I'm using Settings>Time & language> Date & time>Change date and time formats. There's no MMM available there.

5. no1yak Win User
    Using the setting you have described in settings Language - Date and time number format - Additional settings - Date - and using the short date the same as the long _ dddd dd MMMM yyyy
    Long Date Not showing in Taskbar [​IMG]

Works fine until you get to Wednesday. Both my machines do this.

no1yak, Sep 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Ah, I see what you're doing now. You are actually changing the short date format to be the same as the long date format. That's not possible through the Settings app - perhaps for good reason *Smile

You could try a single 'd' for the numeric day bit. That supresses the leading zero, but still shows double-digit dates. You may see 'Wednesdays' for the early part of the month, at least.

7. no1yak Win User
    I've tried the d, makes no difference and it doesn't make any difference if it's the beginning , or end of the month, Wednesday is a no show.

Wednesday is the only week day that has 9 characters, so whether it's the spacing available on the taskbar, I know not.

no1yak, Sep 28, 2017
  8. Michelsen Win User

Today I just noticed this issue on my PC as well, Wednesday's date will not show. The other days of the week will display as it should, time and date (I use short day/date). You can quickly test it by just changing your date to any other day of the week. I'm on Version 1703, build 15063.540, Windows 10 64-bit. What a really weird (and annoying) bug.

Michelsen, Oct 10, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    Format it like "dddd, dd MM yyyy" and it won't show.
    If I put formatting like "dddd, dd MMMM yyyy" (long month format) and it shows.

Weird, but that's it.

AndreTen, Oct 10, 2017
  10. no1yak Win User
    Well, all of a sudden Wednesday has re appeared. Did nothing and it's back.

no1yak, Oct 10, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    It's there for me too now. You sure you did 'nothing'? After all, yesterday was 'Patch Tuesday' - did you get an update by any chance?

12. AndreTen Win User
    MS fixed Wednesday on Tuesday *Smile

AndreTen, Oct 10, 2017
  13. Michelsen Win User

I was on the Business Model for updates and put them on hold for a week, but changed that to force the current update. Hopefully when the few updates are completed that will fix it for me too. But for me right now, there is no way to get it to display under Windows, no matter what I changed. I don't have "Properties" listed in the context menu, but I do have "Taskbar settings", and from there I could dig to most settings for time/date formats. However the one setting that wasn't anywhere is whether to display the long or short date/time formats. There were options how you preferred each of them, but not a place to select which to show in the system tray.

But in reading this thread I found reference to T-Clock Redux, which you can download here, and that worked perfectly. In fact it's so small and works so well, has so many more options for display and built-in functions, that I just might keep using it instead of the Windows clock.

I'll update this post when Windows is done installing its update if that did indeed fix it for me.

Michelsen, Oct 10, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    It's in the Control Panel > Language > Change date, time or number formats. Then click the 'Additional settings...' button to customize the formats.

15. Michelsen Win User
    I checked those settings before and they are for how to display each format. But I still don't see an option to select whether to display the long or short format in the system tray. I prefer the short, long just takes up too much space for me.

Anyway, after rebooting after the update finished, I still didn't have the date showing for Wednesdays. I changed how short format displays (to mimick long format) and that worked, and then changed it back to the short display and bingo, that finally popped up the date in the short display for me even for Wednesday. Hopefully it didn't break the other 6 days of the week! *Biggrin

Michelsen, Oct 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Long Date Not showing in Taskbar - Similar Threads - Long Date showing

2. Show date on windows 10 taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Show date on windows 10 taskbar: So, to start out, I am aware the date is shown when you have default taskbar buttons enabled. Like so However, I use small taskbar buttons and it only displays the time, like this. I am wondering if there is a registry file I can edit, to force windows to display the date on...
  3. Taskbar Date/Time to Show Seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Date/Time to Show Seconds: Before the update, when I clicked on the date/time on the taskbar in the lower right corner, it displayed the time in big font, with seconds, along with the calendar. However, now when I click it, it only shows the calendar, without the time. How can I get it to display the...
  4. Taskbar Date/Time to Show Seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Date/Time to Show Seconds: Before the update, when I clicked on the date/time on the taskbar in the lower right corner, it displayed the time in big font, with seconds, along with the calendar. However, now when I click it, it only shows the calendar, without the time. How can I get it to display the...
  5. Show long date format in taskbar in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show long date format in taskbar in Windows 11: It seems to only show the short day format, how do I show the long day format? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-long-date-format-in-taskbar-in-windows-11/e9a4304b-2fc5-410e-9926-3d5fc1e67937
  6. Show long date format in taskbar in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show long date format in taskbar in Windows 11: It seems to only show the short day format, how do I show the long day format? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-long-date-format-in-taskbar-in-windows-11/e9a4304b-2fc5-410e-9926-3d5fc1e67937
  7. Taskbar clock won't display long date format

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar clock won't display long date format: Taskbar clock bottom right was showing long date format, i.e. "dddd, dd. MMMM yyyy." Today it not me decided to switch back to short:I want a simple 24H short time format e.g. 11:46 is just fine, but I want the long date format, i.e. "sreda, 15. septembar 2021.". Something...
  8. Not showing date on small taskbar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not showing date on small taskbar?: Heyo, On the small taskbar (right click > taskbar settings > use small taskbar buttons), it only shows the time (ex: 12:04 PM) on the very far right. I have my taskbar positioned on the bottom of my screen I did a little research, I guess there used to be a common fix where...
  9. How to get the Taskbar to show the long form of the time & date?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get the Taskbar to show the long form of the time & date?: OK, I've done the settings for the time & date. However, no matter how wide I make the Taskbar, the short form continues to be shown. In Windows 7, when the Taskbar was widened, the long form would be shown. Is there something I need to do here? Or is this YET ANOTHER BUG?...
  10. Small icons, but date still showing on taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Small icons, but date still showing on taskbar: I don't want the date showing on my taskbar, so I put the icon size to small so only the time would show, but it's still showing the date as well. How do I get rid of it? Obviously there's a glitch somewhere, but I don't know where to begin. 87195