Windows 10: Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update

Discus and support Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Please Ms can you fix the restriction of file + directory (folder) name length so they can be LONGER than approx 200 Chars For normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update

Hi there

Please Ms can you fix the restriction of file + directory (folder) name length so they can be LONGER than approx 200 Chars

For normal office type documents long file names won't be encountered very often but if you have large capacity HDD's with a lot of say Music files on them decently tagged with meaningful names it's easy to bump up against the restriction.

While some native programs might have no problem - anything that uses say file explorer to search / browse / manipulate the files will come up against the restriction and the name display will be truncated to 8 chars (from the old Dos 8.3 labelling scheme).

The files will still play in VLC or whatever but if you don't know what you are playing it renders the clients essentially USELESS. !!!!

Some of my Windows clients are unable to correctly see the proper names of my music files from my NAS and I don't want to have to go through WEEKS of re-naming, re-tagging etc etc.

This is what I mean

NAS files :

Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update [​IMG]

Comes out in File explorer as follows :

Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2017
  2. WNov Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Same here. Windows explorer crashes and restarts when it comes to very long file names. Even just accessing the directory path where the the file with the long name is can cause it to crash. Sorting by columns, enabling preview pane or details pane, using
    'Details' folder view or changing folder view type also crashes Explorer with long file names. Sometimes, it crashes when copying, moving or renaming files with long file names.

I enabled Win32 long paths but didn't make a difference. Does even Windows explorer support this? On Windows 7 this used to happen but very rarely. With Windows 10 it is very frequent and even more so with the Anniversary Update. With Free Commander
    can access files with long file names without problems.

3. rmeadows Win User
    Long File Paths When Is Real Support Comming

When will Windows really support long file paths? I have heard rumors of it since 1999. Currently, I have been working on a special project to add long file name support to .Net apps. They are currently limited to about 250 characters.

Today I was searching for something recursively, and noticed that the dir command can't handle a long file path that I created. I am running Windows 10 with the latest updates. Using dir command from in cmd.exe

'Dir /s' returns the following error on my system:

The directory name C:\mytemp\along\long\verylonglonglong\long1long2long3long4long5long6long7long8long9\long1long2long3long4long5long6long7long8long9\long1long2long3long4long5long6long7long8long9\long1long2long3long4long5long6long7long8long9\long1long2long3long4long5long6long7long8long9
    is too long.

rmeadows, Mar 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

It seems as if MS may have introduced that change, then maybe withdrawn it, 'cos there are articles referring to a GPO option (which requires a matching entry in application manifests, apparently - Winaero).

I can't see the GPO, and there is the same comment at the end of Winaero's article. Hmm.
    Is it in the latest Insiders' Build?

How to enable NTFS Long Paths in Windows 10 - Winaero
    Microsoft removes 260 character limit for NTFS Path in new Windows 10 Insider Preview - MSPoweruser
    How to enable paths longer than 260 characters in Windows 10

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Whatever the "technet" doc says - the wretched thing STILL doesn't work if say you use any sort of Media player where you use Browse File function on its menu -- as my first post shows.

(NAS server - Linux Centos 7,1 -- Windows clients Windows 10 Pro x-64).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    f14tomcat has confirmed the GPO doesn't exist in the latest insider's build... so no long path support...*cry

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Long directory / file name support PLEASE Ms in a Windows update - Similar Threads - Long directory file

2. enable long file name support in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    enable long file name support in windows 11: Dear Team,how to enable long file name support in windows 11, could you please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-long-file-name-support-in-windows-11/8804fee8-abe1-4666-8262-8cd3b8e5c4f9
  3. enable long file name support in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    enable long file name support in windows 11: Dear Team,how to enable long file name support in windows 11, could you please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-long-file-name-support-in-windows-11/3f5b16b5-1617-40f0-a45a-09f1acacbcf6
  4. enable long file name support in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    enable long file name support in windows 11: Dear Team,how to enable long file name support in windows 11, could you please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-long-file-name-support-in-windows-11/8804fee8-abe1-4666-8262-8cd3b8e5c4f9
  5. enable long file name support in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    enable long file name support in windows 11: Dear Team,how to enable long file name support in windows 11, could you please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-long-file-name-support-in-windows-11/3f5b16b5-1617-40f0-a45a-09f1acacbcf6
  6. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...
  7. cdm won't copy directories with long names

in Windows 10 Support
    cdm won't copy directories with long names: Hi. I am hoping someone knows a cmd string that will allow me to copy a desktop folder and its subfolders, or at least the files within, to an external drive on a laptop that crashed with what looks like a bad mother board and it will no longer boot to Windows. I have two...
  8. Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work: Hi folks Anybody been able to get long file names / directory names to work Particularly annoying when downloading music. tagging and copying Music For example this downloaded from BBC R3 (classical music) -- LEGAL BTW !! works fine when I download on Linux server...
  9. Long Directory + File names > 256 chars --any sign of support yet

in Windows 10 Support
    Long Directory + File names > 256 chars --any sign of support yet: Hi folks This has been pushed around for ages but I can't see any sign of it being implemented even on latest W10-updates. The 256 character restriction on file name + directory string is a serious limitation now on my being able to share multi-media with Windows...
  10. PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation

in Windows 10 Support
    PLEASE Ms FIX the 260 char directory + file name limitation: Hi there Please Ms FIX the 260 char directory+filename limitation. I can't copy loads of music files on windows and if you've got 2 - 3 TB of music files I'm not going on a massive renaming job - in any case I want to preserve tagging and track info too. Linux and...