Windows 10: Long File Name Crashes

Discus and support Long File Name Crashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Booms, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Booms Win User

Long File Name Crashes

Hi,
    I appreciate that there are a lot of queries regarding the file names exceeding 260 characters, but when i try to open my folders to rename the files to shorter names I don't get the chance to do this as the window just shuts down again before I can do anything.
    Is there anything I can do about this, please?
    I have been searching but have been unable to find a solution.
    MNany thanks.

:)

Booms, Jun 15, 2019

2. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink Long File Name Crashes ;)

FordGT90Concept, Jun 15, 2019
  3. About files with name too long

The problem in general is that if the file name itself is too long, then one can neither delete nor rename it, since File Explorer in Windows 10 crashes if you right click on the file name.

markreed_824, Jun 15, 2019
  4. Patrick8 Win User

Long File Name Crashes

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Hi Ramsey,

I suggest to try "Long Path Tool" program .

before I have problem cannot copy file because file name too long. and after I found long path tool and now my problem solved

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick8, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

Long File Name Crashes

1. Long File Name Crashes - Similar Threads - Long File Name

2. file name too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"
  3. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  4. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  5. Problems with Long File Names

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with Long File Names: Hello I'am Tobias and I have a Problem with long File Names on a share, people used to create files and directories in Windows 7, some of them over 300 characters long. That was not a big problem back then. Now we have switched to Windows 10 and we now have a problem with...
  6. Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!): Hi folks If you use Linux on a NAS or on a VM (Virtual Machine) there's an alternative to the Windows Mp3tag (very good but unfortunately suffers from problem windows has with long file names -- not Mp3tag's fault I hasten to add). Program is puddletag -- on Ubuntu /...
  7. Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Home Explorer.exe Crashing with long file name folders: This is kinda funny but i need to post this. whenever i tried to browse map drive and all folders have different sub folders and it has a long filenames also. When i tried to browse and locate the files under each folders when i finally locate the file (pdf file) when i open...
  8. Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!: Hi there Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition. You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates the names !!!! Music will play though with VLC etc. But as VLC uses file explorer to browse files you get the ones with the...
  9. Long File names in Build 1607 revisited

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File names in Build 1607 revisited: Hi there On a re-check with the long file names issue it seems by using the registry fix some programs can use them. File explorer perversely won't accept them which is a bit odd as that's probably the place most users will encouty the problem when copying / moving...
  10. Note on ReFS for windows (Long File names)

in Windows 10 Support
    Note on ReFS for windows (Long File names): Hi there After using gpedit.msc and setting option for long file names - and a reboot -- still not working (Windows 10 Pro ver 1607) Here's the folder from my server running Linux Centos 7 as its OS. All OK [img] Here's the folder as seen by a Windows client...