Windows 10: Long file path problem on non-C drives

Discus and support Long file path problem on non-C drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think I found a strange bug/limitation in Windows 10 related to long file paths (260+ characters). In short: dragging and dropping long path files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by centen, Jun 10, 2021.

1. centen Win User

Long file path problem on non-C drives

I think I found a strange bug/limitation in Windows 10 related to long file paths (260+ characters). In short: dragging and dropping long path files from Explorer to a program's window fails, if the file is on a non-system (not C:\) drive. I attached an example file, so that you can easily try and reproduce this, for example: 1. Create a folder called test on C:\ and D:\ (so, C:\test\ and D:\test\). 2. Extract the attached .zip directly into these two folders. 3. Open a new blank instance of Notepad. 4. Drag and drop the .txt from either of the above folders into Notepad. The result is that the .txt from the C:\ drive loads fine, but the one from D:\ doesn't load at all. This is weird, because both have the exact same path length. Oh and the "Enable Win32 long paths" setting in GP makes no difference.

:)

centen, Jun 10, 2021

2. Explorer support for zip files with long file paths

I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for easily delete, copy & rename long path files, error, unlock solution.
    Try it and solve your problem.
    I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.

Randy_Vran, Jun 10, 2021
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Jun 10, 2021
  4. Long file path problem on non-C drives

Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, Jun 10, 2021
Thema:

Long file path problem on non-C drives

1. Long file path problem on non-C drives - Similar Threads - Long file path

2. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  3. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  4. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  5. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  6. A workaround the "path file is too long" problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A workaround the "path file is too long" problem: Hey,I am currently experiencing some problems with the file explorer's max path lenght limit.I have a folder structure that is pretty deep with about 1 million files in it, so the path lenghts get pretty long after a while.Currently, I am experiencing two different types of...
  7. Issues with long file paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with long file paths: I have a file with a path that begins with \\?\ which is causing a lot of issues with programs. It's a video file and VLC won't play it, etc. I already have LongPathsEnabled in the registry. Is there any way to get long paths to look normal or is it just up to the other...
  8. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  9. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. File long path in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    File long path in Windows 10: I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but now I get a filepath length error. I use Home Edition, so I tried a few registry hacks from here and here, without success,...