Windows 10: Long file path problem on non-C drives

Discus and support Long file path problem on non-C drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think I found a strange bug/limitation in Windows 10 related to long file paths (260+ characters). In short: dragging and dropping long path files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by centen, Jun 10, 2021.

1. centen Win User

Long file path problem on non-C drives

I think I found a strange bug/limitation in Windows 10 related to long file paths (260+ characters). In short: dragging and dropping long path files from Explorer to a program's window fails, if the file is on a non-system (not C:\) drive. I attached an example file, so that you can easily try and reproduce this, for example: 1. Create a folder called test on C:\ and D:\ (so, C:\test\ and D:\test\). 2. Extract the attached .zip directly into these two folders. 3. Open a new blank instance of Notepad. 4. Drag and drop the .txt from either of the above folders into Notepad. The result is that the .txt from the C:\ drive loads fine, but the one from D:\ doesn't load at all. This is weird, because both have the exact same path length. Oh and the "Enable Win32 long paths" setting in GP makes no difference.

:)

centen, Jun 10, 2021

2. Explorer support for zip files with long file paths

I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for easily delete, copy & rename long path files, error, unlock solution.
    Try it and solve your problem.
    I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.

Randy_Vran, Jun 10, 2021
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Jun 10, 2021
  4. Long file path problem on non-C drives

Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, Jun 10, 2021
Thema:

Long file path problem on non-C drives

1. Long file path problem on non-C drives - Similar Threads - Long file path

2. Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames: This is pissing me off! Has been for years now. How can MS still not have a file explorer use the extended API functions so it can actually work with long file names and paths? My classical music collection alone requires that. Does anyone know of a good windows file...
  3. Long Path Enabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Long Path Enabled: Hi Team, We have been trying to increase the long path value as per the documents from Microsoft. We can create maximum of 20 sub folders beyond that we cannot go. So could you please help me in getting this sorted out. thanks. Sriram Krishnamoorthy...
  4. Issues with long file paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with long file paths: I have a file with a path that begins with \\?\ which is causing a lot of issues with programs. It's a video file and VLC won't play it, etc. I already have LongPathsEnabled in the registry. Is there any way to get long paths to look normal or is it just up to the other...
  5. Problem with path to One Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with path to One Drive: This is the path to my One Drive. I am having a problem using that pat with a batch file and I am sure the issue is with the space between Mike and Edwards. I have no idea where to go to fix the issue. C:\Users\Mike Edwards\OneDrive\Eagles\Distribution\MasterFile...
  6. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...
  7. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  8. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  9. File History and Long Path Names

File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. File long path in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    File long path in Windows 10: I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but now I get a filepath length error. I use Home Edition, so I tried a few registry hacks from here and here, without success,...