Windows 10: Long Filenames After Backup

Discus and support Long Filenames After Backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to reinstall Windows 10 after a serious crash. When I retrieved my backed up files from an external hard drive, they all have extra date/time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobertEckrich, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Long Filenames After Backup

I had to reinstall Windows 10 after a serious crash. When I retrieved my backed up files from an external hard drive, they all have extra date/time data added to the name. Why? Example: Demos and Tutorials 2019_12_20 22_38_43 UTC.pdf

:)

RobertEckrich, Jun 11, 2021
  2. Edwin Win User

Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?

For some reason, this only applies to Taskbar jump lists, but you need to 'Pin' the item to the list first.
    Everywhere else it works as expected.

Long Filenames After Backup [​IMG]

Edwin, Jun 11, 2021
  3. jpmiso23 Win User
    filenames to long, is there a log?

when copying sometimes thousands of files during a backup, I frequently come up against a problem which in prior versions, windows used to handle smoothly and without giving any major issues to users - long filenames used to be "truncated" automatically;
    but not any more

is there a log where I can see which files have not been copied?

or are users really supposed to click "skip" for hundreds, maybe thousands of individual files, and manually make a note of each one that is then missing from the backup, and then manually rename them and then finally copy them while trying to ensure they
    each end up in the right place

....this issue comes up every time I do a file backup, the file names are not set by me for 99.9% of the files being copied, and I'm getting pretty fed up with it

so is there a log? or a way to tell windows to do automatic truncation of the files while copying if the filenames are too long, as windows was capable of doing 15 years ago, but apparently not now? :-/

jpmiso23, Jun 11, 2021
  4. Long Filenames After Backup

Select only files that have "Copy" in the filename?

JohnnyBeGood, Jun 11, 2021
Thema:

Long Filenames After Backup

1. Long Filenames After Backup - Similar Threads - Long Filenames Backup

2. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  3. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  4. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: Ever since I purchased Win 11 on my machine, it has been giving me issues. The biggest one right now is that I cannot rename folders. Any time I try no matter how I try to do it, I get the above error.HELP. I have a metric f-ton of "New folder" folders now....
  5. The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.

The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.: I am just looking at a thread from this blog created in April 2018 which came up in my search because the same old "file name is too long" error came up again. Here is an excerpt from that session: - - - Yeah, certainly annoying. Even more annoying is that the copy operation...
  6. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  7. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  8. Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames: This is pissing me off! Has been for years now. How can MS still not have a file explorer use the extended API functions so it can actually work with long file names and paths? My classical music collection alone requires that. Does anyone know of a good windows file...
  9. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: [ATTACH] This error keeps persisting. Please help. 2 days ago I purchased a retail key for windows 10 and installed it on my PC It worked well. Today I installed bitdefender antivirus software and uninstalled previous antivirus software and updated windows from v1903 to...
  10. Long filenames not truncating on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Long filenames not truncating on desktop: Hello! Here is the issue. When i select a file located on desktop, there isn't a grid space limit applied to the text, the filename is entirely displayed despite its length, what makes long texts overlap icons below. The only way to truncate the filename again is selecting...