Windows 10: Long filenames not truncating on desktop

Discus and support Long filenames not truncating on desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello! Here is the issue. When i select a file located on desktop, there isn't a grid space limit applied to the text, the filename is entirely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tuan_Ps, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Tuan_Ps Win User

Long filenames not truncating on desktop

Hello!

Here is the issue. When i select a file located on desktop, there isn't a grid space limit applied to the text, the filename is entirely displayed despite its length, what makes long texts overlap icons below. The only way to truncate the filename again is selecting another file clicking on empty space doesn't work.

The problem only occurs on desktop, no problem inside folders.

My Windows version is 1909 build 183363.778

Long filenames not truncating on desktop [​IMG]

:)

Tuan_Ps, Apr 29, 2020
  2. jpmiso23 Win User

filenames to long, is there a log?

when copying sometimes thousands of files during a backup, I frequently come up against a problem which in prior versions, windows used to handle smoothly and without giving any major issues to users - long filenames used to be "truncated" automatically;
    but not any more

is there a log where I can see which files have not been copied?

or are users really supposed to click "skip" for hundreds, maybe thousands of individual files, and manually make a note of each one that is then missing from the backup, and then manually rename them and then finally copy them while trying to ensure they
    each end up in the right place

....this issue comes up every time I do a file backup, the file names are not set by me for 99.9% of the files being copied, and I'm getting pretty fed up with it

so is there a log? or a way to tell windows to do automatic truncation of the files while copying if the filenames are too long, as windows was capable of doing 15 years ago, but apparently not now? :-/

jpmiso23, Apr 29, 2020
  3. Rue 83 Win User
    Filename Truncate Bug

This has to be a bug, and I can't believe no-one else has posted about it.

I've tried searching to see if anyone has noticed this problem, but can't find anything, seems it's quite difficult to find the right search terms.

---

When resizing a column in an explorer window, if the length of the filename exceeds the width of the column, an ellipsis is displayed showing that it has been truncated. This is normal expected behaviour.

However, if less than 4 characters are truncated, the ellipsis is missing and the filename is just clipped.

This is highly annoying, very confusing and simply needs to be fixed.

This is true for every column type (filename, type, size, date modified, etc); and not only just regular explorer windows, but also any application that uses the explorer shell in its dialogue boxes.

It is everywhere, and I've also checked not only my PC at home but also four other PCs all running Windows 10. They all exhibit this bug. So it cannot be a conflict arising for certain software being installed or anything like that.

Try opening an explorer window and see for yourself...

(I also posted this on the windows feedback hub, but for some reason couldn't sign in, and therefore can't track the progress. And the ability to search the hub seems to have been removed.)

Rue 83, Apr 29, 2020
  4. Edwin Win User

Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?

For some reason, this only applies to Taskbar jump lists, but you need to 'Pin' the item to the list first.
    Everywhere else it works as expected.

Edwin, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Long filenames not truncating on desktop - Similar Threads - Long filenames truncating

2. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  3. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: This error keeps persisting. Please help.Dear Customer Support,I am writing to raise a significant concern regarding a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my laptop. I have been using my laptop for approximately one year, and from the very beginning, I have...
  4. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: Ever since I purchased Win 11 on my machine, it has been giving me issues. The biggest one right now is that I cannot rename folders. Any time I try no matter how I try to do it, I get the above error.HELP. I have a metric f-ton of "New folder" folders now....
  5. The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.

The filenames would be too long for the destination folder.: I am just looking at a thread from this blog created in April 2018 which came up in my search because the same old "file name is too long" error came up again. Here is an excerpt from that session: - - - Yeah, certainly annoying. Even more annoying is that the copy operation...
  6. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  7. The filename is too long for the destination folder etc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The filename is too long for the destination folder etc: Filename is too long for the destination folder. I have started getting this message when only entering about 10 digits I'm to the title. I have other files in the folder which are very long....
  8. Seeking to delete a file with a too-long filename from the desktop

Seeking to delete a file with a too-long filename from the desktop: Seeking advice on how to delete a file with a too-long name from the desktop.There are two traditional ways to do this and neither appear viable:1 Discover the 8.3 name using dir /x and use the del command...
  9. Long Filenames After Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Long Filenames After Backup: I had to reinstall Windows 10 after a serious crash. When I retrieved my backed up files from an external hard drive, they all have extra date/time data added to the name. Why? Example: Demos and Tutorials 2019_12_20 22_38_43 UTC.pdf...
  10. Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long

Error 0x800700CE: The filename or extension is too long: [ATTACH] This error keeps persisting. Please help. 2 days ago I purchased a retail key for windows 10 and installed it on my PC It worked well. Today I installed bitdefender antivirus software and uninstalled previous antivirus software and updated windows from v1903 to...