Windows 10: Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available

Discus and support Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an external HDD formatted as FAT32 on 1000GB. I vaguely remember following an article to trick format FAT32 with this large capacity. How to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by andwan0, Nov 6, 2020.

1. andwan0 Win User

Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available

I have an external HDD formatted as FAT32 on 1000GB.
    I vaguely remember following an article to trick format FAT32 with this large capacity.

How to Format USB Drives Larger Than 32GB With FAT32 on Windows

Now am trying to move files off the external HDD but getting errors:

Unable to move ... : More data is available

Am not sure whether it's long filenames or some unicode character in the filename.

I tried changing the registry, and powershell, still no joy.

:)

andwan0, Nov 6, 2020
  2. josekym Win User

5310 microSD long filenames / filesystem

I think that tis limitation is actually dependent on the way the MicroSD is formatted, along with what the phone software can actually understand. If the format the phone uses is common FAT (FAT12 or FAT16), then the filenames will really be limited to
    8 characters only. FAT32 increases this limitation to 255 characters.

See here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

That said, my 6233 can read MicroSD formatted in FAT32, so I think that the 5310 can do this too. I also use long filenames on my files/mp3 to make them more descriptive. =)

josekym, Nov 6, 2020
  3. Edwin Win User
    Jump list not showing full filename if pointer is hovering long files?

For some reason, this only applies to Taskbar jump lists, but you need to 'Pin' the item to the list first.
    Everywhere else it works as expected.

Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available

what is the difference in fat32 and NTFS HDD formating???

NTFS is far superior when it comes to data safety, as when it comes to performance with large files. Just disconnect and connect a FAT32 USB drive a few times without using the remove button and then do the same to a NTFS drive. The FAT32 drive will be screwed while the NTFS drives requires a run of chkdsk at the most. I wouldn't safe anything I wish to keep on a FAT32 disk.

DanTheBanjoman, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available

1. Long filenames on FAT32, Unable to move ... : More data is available - Similar Threads - Long filenames FAT32

2. More data is available 0xd00000ea

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    More data is available 0xd00000ea: I work in a Support team for a software vendor, and we are seeing this error when trying to browse or list the contents of the EFI System Partition. I search the web for the error hex code, but I could not find anything similar to it. I do not have the corresponding Windows...
  3. More data is available 0xd00000ea

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More data is available 0xd00000ea: I work in a Support team for a software vendor, and we are seeing this error when trying to browse or list the contents of the EFI System Partition. I search the web for the error hex code, but I could not find anything similar to it. I do not have the corresponding Windows...
  4. More data is available 0xd00000ea

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search

in Cortana
    Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search: When making a search from Windows File Explorer, any files in the result with sufficiently long file paths cannot be renamed from the search result. However when navigating to the file location and renaming from there, one is able to change the file name.This seems like a bug...
  6. Unable to format Fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format Fat32: As the subject header eays, I'm unable to format to FAT32.The only choices I have are NTFS & exFAT.Has Microsoft removed the choice to format in FAT16/32 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-format-fat32/22183b77-8591-4731-88da-8c0570ba3f1e
  7. Long Filenames After Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Long Filenames After Backup: I had to reinstall Windows 10 after a serious crash. When I retrieved my backed up files from an external hard drive, they all have extra date/time data added to the name. Why? Example: Demos and Tutorials 2019_12_20 22_38_43 UTC.pdf...
  8. Long filenames not truncating on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Long filenames not truncating on desktop: Hello! Here is the issue. When i select a file located on desktop, there isn't a grid space limit applied to the text, the filename is entirely displayed despite its length, what makes long texts overlap icons below. The only way to truncate the filename again is selecting...
  9. Windows 10 Error 0x800700EA: More data is available.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Error 0x800700EA: More data is available.: Hi all, I'm using Windows 10 and whenever I copy any file to a FAT32 hard drive, "Error 0x800700EA: More data is available." appears and copy halts if the filename consists of some Chinese characters. For example: Filename: 国国国国国国国国国国国国国国国国国国国国 Result: No error...
  10. Unable to process FAT32

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to process FAT32: Hi, My laptop is running windows 10.0.16299.248 and suddenly it is unable to read FAT32 partitions. Plugging in a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 file system, the system will complain of it needs to be formatted. Creating a FAT32 partition in the laptop hard...