Windows 10: Long Path Enabled

Discus and support Long Path Enabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Team, We have been trying to increase the long path value as per the documents from Microsoft. We can create maximum of 20 sub folders beyond... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SriramKrishnamoorthy1, May 27, 2020.

1. Long Path Enabled

Hi Team,

We have been trying to increase the long path value as per the documents from Microsoft. We can create maximum of 20 sub folders beyond that we cannot go. So could you please help me in getting this sorted out.

thanks.

Sriram Krishnamoorthy

:)

SriramKrishnamoorthy1, May 27, 2020
  2. NAT
    Nat Win User

Is it risky to enable long file paths on Windows 10?

Windows 10 has an option to allow for longer file paths (background). Is it risky to enable this option?

I ask because I've heard mixed comments about how there can be bugs related to long file names.

From a recent (2016-07-30) MSDN blog post:

• A comment:

• The response:

Another question on SuperUser (2016-08-17) seems to suggest that there're known issues.

Question: Does enabling long file paths increase the risk of file loss or corruption on Windows 10?

3. JayTan08 Win User
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

Hi my name is Jay, I'm an independent advisor. I'd be happy to help with your issue.

I understand that Long Paths is already enabled in Local Group Policy, can you also do it in the registry as suggested in this article?

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-destination-path-to...

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask questions and keep me on track. I will keep working on this issue until it's resolved, thank you.

Regards,

Jay

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

JayTan08, May 27, 2020
  4. Win User

Long Path Enabled

GPO: enable win32 long paths

I saw that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was supposed to address the limitation of long file paths and names. According to what I found, the new GPO entry of "enable NTFS long paths" was supposed to be added, but I didn't see it. Upon further research,
    I did find the "enable win32 long paths" option one level up in the GPO.

Question: Was this supposed to address the problem? After I enabled it, rebooted the computer and confirmed that the setting was still enabled, I tried to copy a file (via File Explorer) from a local hard drive (G:\*.*) to a server share (\\SERVER\SHARE),
    but it failed for the same old reason that the pathname was too long. Does this only work locally, or does it only work with specific capabilities, like PowerShell?

Thema:

Long Path Enabled

1. Long Path Enabled - Similar Threads - Long Path Enabled

2. Long path enabled doesn’t work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long path enabled doesn’t work: I’m on a windows 11 22H2 and I have a program DraftSight 2023 that during install tries to create a visual, basic directory but it fails and triggers, a long path error 1320, I’ve tried everything but I can’t get around it. I enabled it in group policies and in the registry,...
  3. Long path enabled doesn’t work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Long path enabled doesn’t work: I’m on a windows 11 22H2 and I have a program DraftSight 2023 that during install tries to create a visual, basic directory but it fails and triggers, a long path error 1320, I’ve tried everything but I can’t get around it. I enabled it in group policies and in the registry,...
  4. enable win32 long paths but not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    enable win32 long paths but not work: Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer, but I still can’t open long-path files even after restarting the computer after the changes. Please help me find out why. 1....
  5. enable win32 long paths but not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    enable win32 long paths but not work: Dear support TeamI have changed the following two settings in order to be able to open long-path files with more than 260 characters in file explorer, but I still can’t open long-path files even after restarting the computer after the changes. Please help me find out why. 1....
  6. enable win32 long paths but not work

7. Long Path Enabled Does not Work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Path Enabled Does not Work: Dear Team, I want to enable long path in Windows 10. Because I created several subfolders and want to rename the PDF or other files within it exceeding 260 characters. I tried to troubleshoot by using recommendations from Microsoft like put script in PowerShare and...
  8. Long Path Enabled Does not Work

Long Path Enabled Does not Work: Dear Team, I want to enable long path in Windows 10. Because I created several subfolders and want to rename the PDF or other files within it exceeding 260 characters. I tried to troubleshoot by using recommendations from Microsoft like put script in PowerShare and...
  9. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...
  10. Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Destination path too long after enable NTFS long path: I have windows pro 10 education and 1903 version. I enable NFTS long path and update the group policy with this command: gpupdate /target:computer /force But when I copy-paste folders to an external drive I still get the error Destination path too long The file name(s)...