Windows 10: Long path names on Windows 10 Home.

Discus and support Long path names on Windows 10 Home. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does Windows 10 Home support long path names? Simply changing the LongPathsEnabled to 1 and rebooting doesn't work. I need to work with long paths in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ScottMoreland, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Long path names on Windows 10 Home.

Does Windows 10 Home support long path names? Simply changing the LongPathsEnabled to 1 and rebooting doesn't work. I need to work with long paths in Windows Word and I have Word 365.

:)

ScottMoreland, Oct 4, 2020

2. Windows 10 commands with Long path name are not working

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112)

I have tried following to enable long path name support on my windows 10 system -

1. Set the registry key at

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem LongPathsEnabled (Type: REG_DWORD)

2. Enabled

Group Policy at Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > Enable Win32 long paths

Rebooted the system after setting registry and enabling group policy but I still can not use long path name with windows commands.

Can you please suggest what else needs to be done to enable long path name on windows 10.

Thanks.

YogeshSingh1, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Long Path Names

I forgot the other item on my "Wish List", long path name support (the default path name length is ridiculously short).

Regarding panes and tabs, I use FreeCommander whenever I have to something more than basic file management.

Long path names on Windows 10 Home. [​IMG]

It has a handy mass rename tool too.

Long path names on Windows 10 Home. [​IMG]

lehnerus2000, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Long path names on Windows 10 Home.

Windows long file name or path name has failed in the new windows

I have a windows 10 on my older computer and it has a group policy program that allowed me to set up windows 10 to allow for long file names/path names and I have no issues because the limit is no longer there. I bought a new PC with windows 10 and the group
    policy and registry modification no longer is there (group policy app) and no longer allows for long file names/path names which is not acceptable. My work needs to have directories/folders several layers deep and windows no long has the fix to change your
    windows system and explorer to allow for this to happen. There is no solution posted yet that solves this issue. There are lots of complaints about it though. I can delete files/folders ok by changing where the files are located but that is not the solution
    needed by myself or many others. We need to be able to allow for long file names/path names! My old PC with window 10 (newer installs make a mess out of it and had to take them off as they are not good upgrades. Group Policy app in later upgrades of the windows
    10 series which made it easy to allow for long file/path names no longer is on windows 10.

$1300 for a pc with windows now is a bad investment - I hate mac but windows continues to fail as to being my favorite system.

My and many others need is how can we modify the registry or get the group policy to do it to allow for long file/path names and not be restricted to the very small limits. If anyone has an answer on how to do this, then It would make life easier. Work around
    answers for copying files closer to the root part of the drive are not valid answers. I found this article but have not used it as too many other suggestions have been posted and they wasted our time fixing this issue. Here is that articles summary which is
    what our needs are:

In the past the maximum supported file length was 260 characters (256 usable after the drive characters and termination character). In Windows 10 long file name support can be enabled which allows file names
    up to 32,767 characters (although you lose a few characters for mandatory characters that are part of the name). To enable this perform the following:

That article link is: Enable long file name support in Windows 10

MichaelLowe1, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Long path names on Windows 10 Home.

1. Long path names on Windows 10 Home. - Similar Threads - Long path names

2. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  3. Long Paths

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Long Paths: Greetings, I have a problem with long paths in Windows 11 Pro When I try to move a file or folder from SharePoint to OneDrive, I edited LongPathsEnable in Registry and GPedit, but I got no result... After that, I downloaded Directory Opus like File Explorer and the issue's...
  4. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  5. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  6. Can't delete folders with long path names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete folders with long path names: I copied some folders onto a work computer into the "My Documents" directory.I didn't realize it but the directory is actually connected to OneDrive, as in it synchronizes to it. The actual folder path is something like:"C:\Users\FirstName.LastName\OneDrive - Company with a...
  7. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer: I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1 Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer...
  8. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  9. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  10. File long path in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    File long path in Windows 10: I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but now I get a filepath length error. I use Home Edition, so I tried a few registry hacks from here and here, without success,...