Windows 10: Long term charging issue

Discus and support Long term charging issue in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Shortly after taking delivery of my Tablet PC, 2-in-1, 5 years ago, it developed a glitch which I have managed to live with fairly well. It is now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by clayto, May 8, 2020.

1. clayto Win User

Long term charging issue

Shortly after taking delivery of my Tablet PC, 2-in-1, 5 years ago, it developed a glitch which I have managed to live with fairly well. It is now becoming more of a problem. In order to charge it I have had to restart or shutdown and re-boot. Only then does charging start. As I use it mainly as a small Laptop, almost permanently connected to the power source,this has not been much trouble, especially since I learned that keeping it connected does not harm the battery. I noticed that if I let the charge drop below around 50%, charging did not keep pace with battery drain when the machine is in use. Above the 50% level I could carry on using it while the charge continued to rise slowly back to 100%. Above 50% - 60% it was like filling an unplugged bath, with the the tap turned on sufficiently to more than enough compensate for the rate of drainage. Of course this depends on what apps were in use, but with 'normal' usage it was OK. Recently however, I find that this acceptable performance is diminishing. Even at 80% the battery would continue to drain. Sometimes I did not notice this until I got a low battery warning, resulting in a hasty abandonment of what I was working on, switching off and giving the PC a rest and re-charge before continuing work. The 'bath' is draining too quickly. It is because of this that I started another thread a short while ago about wanting a WP which automatically saves work in progress, which Word is supposed to do but wont on my machine. Google Docs has solved that issue.
    (Just at this point Edge crashed, not due to the battery which was over 50%, but for some other reason, so I shut down and let it re-charge to over 70%. After re-launch I have been able to use the helpful 'restart saved content' and continue where I left off )

I presume the reason for the declining performance is battery wear, not unexpected after 5 years of almost constant use? However, a couple of apps report wear to still be 0%. On the other hand Nirsoft Battery Info, which I use to monitor the dropping charge level, reports wear as 165.7%, with cycles at 42,116. Can someone interpret these figures for me? The battery is almost impossible to replace in this sealed device and would require soldering.

An added issue is that I the shutdown PC to have is coming back on overnight. So I have it charged to 100% at the end of the day when I switch it on in the morning the battery has often dropped to around 50%, so avoid rapid drain I may have to restart before using it to get it charging again.

At present these are only fairly minor annoyances, but I guess it will only get worse. I have good reason to believe it is a software, not a hardware issue, which I had hoped numerous updates might cure.

:)

clayto, May 8, 2020

2. Long Term WiFi Issues

Try another WiFi adapter and see. Mine is stable as a rock:

Long term charging issue [​IMG]

theveterans, May 8, 2020
  3. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Long term charging issue pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, May 8, 2020
  4. Johan45 Win User

Long term charging issue

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Long term charging issue

1. Long term charging issue - Similar Threads - Long term charging

2. Repeated BSOD issue long-term, please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated BSOD issue long-term, please help!: Hello,I have a recently-built PC running Windows 11 - specs are as follows:MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk Wifi MotherboardAMD Ryzen 5 7600X CPU MSI Coreliquid 240K V2 CPU Cooler64 Gb RAM - 2x "Crucial 32GB memory kit - identical kits installed.Corsair 850HX PSU2x Western Digital Black...
  3. Repeated BSOD issue long-term, please help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeated BSOD issue long-term, please help!: Hello,I have a recently-built PC running Windows 11 - specs are as follows:MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk Wifi MotherboardAMD Ryzen 5 7600X CPU MSI Coreliquid 240K V2 CPU Cooler64 Gb RAM - 2x "Crucial 32GB memory kit - identical kits installed.Corsair 850HX PSU2x Western Digital Black...
  4. Long-term Computer Freezing Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long-term Computer Freezing Issue: For years, I have been having an issue where my computer freezes, usually while gaming there has been 1 or 2 times where it froze on my home screen while I was afk. It freezes on the screen that it was on meaning it does not blue screen, and if there was a sound it repeats...
  5. Fortnite charges long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fortnite charges long?: I have had a problem with Fortnite for about 3-4 weeks: It takes forever to load until I get into the round (sometimes I get in after I automatically jumped out and landed), when I want to ingame dance it bugs and I can't move, when I want to disguise as a henchman I often...
  6. Repeated system file corruption long term issue

Repeated system file corruption long term issue: Hi All, wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue ive had for a good few months now. Back last May, I built my PC and installed windows 10 pro, it only took about 25 minutes of regular usage to encounter my first BSOD, most of which tell me that the system...
  7. WHEA uncorrectable error (long term issue)

WHEA uncorrectable error (long term issue): I have been having this blue screen of death for a few months now and I was really passive about it because it was happening only once in a while. I never could find the origin of the problem. I will try to be as clear as possible when giving the steps I have tried over the...
  8. Long term BSOD WHEA

Long term BSOD WHEA: Long term problem with crashing, over a year, updated from win 8.1 to 10 in an effort to correct it, to no avail. First crash happened while watching video in in the Chrome browser. Crashes did not happen using the internet explorer browser. Videos in the steam app,...
  9. Long Term WiFi Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Long Term WiFi Issues: Hi all, I am having a strange issue when trying to establish and stay connected to a WiFi connection for extended periods of time, I am using my microPC as a host for a couple of tasks so it needs to stay powered on and remotely accessible for extended periods. However I...
  10. BSOD on "cold" boot - stable afterwards - Long-term issue

BSOD on "cold" boot - stable afterwards - Long-term issue: Hello everyone, I'm at my wit's end at the moment. Recently had to replace motherboard, RAM and CPU in my computer. Purchased an ASUS Maximus VIII GENE Z170 board, an i5-6600k and initially 16GB of DDR4, now 32. When I boot my computer after having it off overnight, I...