Windows 10: Long windows boot time issue

Discus and support Long windows boot time issue in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Has anyone else been having longer boot times since updating to the most recent version of windows 10. I updated on Dec 10th and it takes anywhere... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tri3nforcer, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Long windows boot time issue

Has anyone else been having longer boot times since updating to the most recent version of windows 10. I updated on Dec 10th and it takes anywhere between 10-20 minutes now when it used to take 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

submitted by /u/Tri3nforcer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tri3nforcer, Dec 12, 2020
  2. Galant Win User

Very long boot-times with DVD-drive?

Hi guys,

got a lil problem here. My machine takes very long to boot. It sits @ that windows-knight-rider screen and the blue line is crossing about 10-12 times before anything happens. Yesterday i had to disconnect my DVD to connect my reserve hdd and see... it boots after
    3 or 4 times of that line passing. Is that coz i got a bad driver or bad firmware there....Don´t know if driver makes difference coz i think windows got 1 generic and it don´t affect my secondary DVD drive... any suggestions?

Galant, Dec 12, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 Boot times issue

The two are linked as you've observed and as I mentioned.

What puzzles me is the change after the power outage, which would suggest some form of corruption, which does not seem the case.

The other thing that can cause slow boot times are certain updates. For example this update:
    KB4100347 Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 v1803 - September 13 - Page 9 - Windows 10 Forums

So I'm now wondering if the change in boot time is actually unrelated to your power outage. Using WPR as @zinou suggests is then the next step.

dalchina, Dec 12, 2020
  4. JimboC Win User

Long windows boot time issue

Having issues with boot time on my gaming pc

Hi JonathanC,

I would also try using the Sysinternals tool, Process Monitor to log the boot time activity of your computer.

Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals

Here is a blog post from Mark Russinovich detailing how he used it to solve a slow login and another article that provides more info on its boot logging capability:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2012/07/02/3506849.aspx

Use Process Monitor To Optimize The Windows Boot Process - gHacks Tech News

You might also consider using the Logon and Services tabs of Sysinternals Autoruns tool to ensure that you are running as clean a system as possible:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

This tool should show more information than CCleaner (I could be wrong about that).

Please also run the following tools and let us know the results since MBR infections can cause slow boots (these infections cannot be removed with a re-format of the hard drive since the MBR is not written to during the standard format process).

You should backup any data that you cannot afford to lose before proceeding with the steps below since they can occasionally cause further issues:

TDSS Killer:
    Download the Kaspersky TDSS Killer tool from here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Instructions on how to use it are here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/find?faq_id=2663

You might also find the following article on TDSS rootkits useful:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller

Repairing MBR
    If after the above steps, the issue of slow a boot up remains, I would suggest creating a new MBR using the Windows Recovery Console (I realize that you are using Windows 7, I have included the steps for Windows XP for reference only):

Windows XP
    How to install the Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us

How to use and the commands available in the Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us

The command you will need is fixmbr

Windows Vista and Windows 7
    The procedure for repairing the MBR using Windows Vista or Windows 7 is different from Windows XP, for information on the steps necessary, please see the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

As before, start the computer and put the Windows installation DVD in your optical drive and boot from it.

Press a key when prompted, set the language and keyboard layout that you wish to use when the GUI (Graphical User Interface) loads.

Follow the steps mentioned in the above knowledge base article to open a Command Prompt window and type:

Repair the MBR
    Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Reboot the computer.

If necessary (i.e. the issue is still occuring), type the following command:

Repair the Windows Boot Loader
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

If necessary, type the following command:

Repair the BCD (Windows Vista and Windows 7 only)

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

If you encounter the "Bootmgr is Missing" error on boot up, you can instead use the following commands to resolve it:

Follow the above steps but substitute the commands after opening the Command Prompt window (using the boot from DVD steps mentioned in the above knowledge base article):

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MBR.exe:
    http://www2.gmer.net/mbr/mbr.exe

Download this program and run it as administrator. If the text file (.txt) file that it creates in the same folder as you downloaded this program to mentions any of the following text, you probably have an infection:

Copy of MBR has been found in sector
    malicious code @ sector
    PE file found in sector at [memory location within MBR]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The steps details above should remove this infection if it is present, if not, please re-post in this thread.

I hope the above information is of assistance to you.

Thank you.

JimboC, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Long windows boot time issue

1. Long windows boot time issue - Similar Threads - Long boot issue

2. Long boot time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  3. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  4. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows taking long time to boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows taking long time to boot: Hii , My laptop is taking long time to boot. It is stuck at welcome home screen for about 3-4 mins. This was not a issue till yesterday. I think some automatic update caused this issue. I tried updating my windows to latest version but it won't work. I updated gpu...
  6. Long boot time

Long boot time: Hey guys, how's it going? I've been experiencing huge performance issues when booting Windows on. My laptop used to boot-up in about <15s when it was brand new and it stayed this way until I've updated Windows Build. It came out of factory as ver. 1803, when I've updated it...
  7. Long Booting time of windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long Booting time of windows: Hey , I am using a HP 15-ac122tu model laptop and it takes a long time to boot up around 30 min or long.Windows 10 is my operating system and when it's opened i experience more lag than never before.What should i do I tried some fixes on youtube but none of the worked....
  8. Long Boot or Long Login Times with ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Long Boot or Long Login Times with ssd: For some reason when I boot from scratch I either get a black screen for over 30 seconds or it goes the the login screen and it takes forever to login. Hibernation doesn't have this problem. Cpu:Ryzen 5 3500u Model:HP 15-cw1068wm submitted by /u/gamingbro697 [link]...
  9. Long Boot Up Time

Long Boot Up Time: Help appreciated. Couple days ago, my PC took about 2 minutes or more to boot. Ran malware/Virus scans with no errors. After powering up, I notice that the Blue Windows Logo shows up twice on solid black background, with animated spinning dots (CW), then thereafter that goes...
  10. long boot times

long boot times: Whenever I reboot from the gui, or my computer reboots for any reason (updates/programs installs) my pc hangs at the BIOS screen for a long time and I have it set to show for only 2 seconds. [img] But when I cold boot or hard reset, its sub eight seconds. what do...