Windows 10: Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?

Discus and support Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have noticed on my computer that the boot time takes much longer than normal. I bought a Dell Inspiron Laptop Link to amazon for specs that came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SpanishMoss00, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?

I have noticed on my computer that the boot time takes much longer than normal.

I bought a Dell Inspiron Laptop Link to amazon for specs that came with an SSD and no hard drive. The laptop was able to be partially upgraded

with new components, I have since added more RAM, and more recently add a 2.5in 2TB HDD HDD Link on Amazon, as there was an empty internal SATA bay. I formatted the HDD as NTFS as was recommended, and put some files on. The files were not windows system files, just a game or two and some photos. When I went to boot up the PC again, I found it booted up much slower, taking 15-20 sec to boot compared to the 2-5 sec it took to boot before installing the HDD. While this would make sense if I put the boot device on the HDD, this was not the case. I am wondering if anybody can explain why this is occurring, and if there is a way to fix it. If not please explain why it does this. I love computers and want to know more about them, so a technical explanation would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!

-SpanishMoss00

:)

SpanishMoss00, Feb 14, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

According to this link: Booting to the Boot Menu and BIOS
    Your laptop use F2 to access BIOS and F12 to access Boot Menu.

It will take a while to boot. Sometimes several minutes, Did you wait long enough ?
    HBCD only works with MBR disk type and will not recognize GPT disk.

If still cannot boot from Recovery disk. Use your friend's computer and download Macrium Rescue disk from my G-Drive: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
    The iso is: MacRescue.iso, about 258MB.
    NOTE: Use F2 to access BIOS: enable Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot, disable CSM.

1. Connect the USB to the PC. Use Disk Management (Win+R->Disk Management) to find out the disk # of the USB
    2. Open Admin Command Prompt (Win+R->Command Prompt (Admin) and type:
      diskpart
      select disk # =====> where # is the disk number from step 1
      clean
      convert MBR
      create partition primary
      format fs=fat32 quick
      assign letter=R
      active
      exit
      bootsect /nt60 R: ====> This will updates the master boot code for the USB
      exit
    3. Double click MacRescue.iso. This will mount the iso as a virtual DVD drive with a letter assigned, seen in This PC
    4. copy the content of the virtual DVD to R: (Your USB)
    5. Reboot your PC and keep tapping on F12 to access boot menu then select the usb with UEFI prefix to boot into GPT mode
    6. Once booted. From the Macrium screen, click on Fix Windows Boot problems and follow the screen to complete

Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal? [​IMG]
    7. Reboot your PC.

NOTE: If still does not boot then the problem is in the C drive, System file(s) corrupted. You would need to boot from the Windows Installation disk to perform custom upgrade. Use step 2 above to create a bootable Windows Installation. Don't use Rufus.

topgundcp, Feb 14, 2021
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Feb 14, 2021
  4. gygabite Win User

Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?

Changing boot hdd

I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?

gygabite, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?

1. Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal? - Similar Threads - Longer Boot adding

2. Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD: I've had this issue before. I have a clean install of WIndows 2019 Server on a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.I installed it with just a SSD.I then powered it off and added a HDD which is GPT and NTFS formatted with data on it. But it won't boot afterwards and gives...
  3. Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD: I've had this issue before. I have a clean install of WIndows 2019 Server on a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.I installed it with just a SSD.I then powered it off and added a HDD which is GPT and NTFS formatted with data on it. But it won't boot afterwards and gives...
  4. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  5. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  6. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update: Hi. A couple of days ago I added a HDD to my PC for expanded storage (Its not a boot drive and has the lowest boot priority of all my drives). It showed up and worked no problem and I used the PC for the rest of the day as usual with no problems. When I went to power off I...
  8. Boot after HDD crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot after HDD crash: How do I get the computer to recognize boot from USB? I have a DELL 7737 and I was using Windows 10 before my hard drive crashed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-after-hdd-crash/5677ab6a-697f-4feb-a33c-cad613818d4e
  9. Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not boot after adding second HDD: I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I disconnected the new HDD, but it is still not booting. I keep coming to this screen. [img] I tried solving the issue using...
  10. Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB: Hello everyone, My Acer Aspire V3 is refusing to boot to W10 after I forced shutdown when it froze whilst running some large video conversions. I have tried the following: Normal reboot results in the Preparing Automatic Repair on the Acer loading for a few seconds...