Windows 10: Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip

Discus and support Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Apple M1 chip has managed to crush the Surface Pro X in early benchmarks, but it could soon face real competition. That’s because Qualcomm is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jan 15, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip

The Apple M1 chip has managed to crush the Surface Pro X in early benchmarks, but it could soon face real competition. That’s because Qualcomm is finally working on a powerful ARM-based chip for PCs and it’s nearly ready.

The latest MacBook Air and Mac Mini use Apple’s ARM-based M1 chip, rather than the Intel SoC they used to run on. Thanks to the emulation technology developed by Apple, M1 chip is also able to run Windows 10 on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X with a minimum of impact to the battery.

Windows on ARM has been around since late 2016, but one of the main blocking issues in Microsoft’s effort has to do with the lack of a powerful processor.

In 2020, Qualcomm brought an improved Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 processor with better performance than Intel’s low-end i5 CPUs and longer battery life, but there’s still some way to go, especially after the successful launch of Apple M1.

Snapdragon SC8280 is the next-gen ARM SoC

According to internal documents, Qualcomm is believed to be working on a new processor codenamed “SC8280”.

SC8280 will be the “true” successor to the Snapdragon 8cx, which is regarded as one of the most powerful ARM processors for Windows devices.

Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip Snapdragon-8cx.jpg

As mentioned above, Snapdragon 8cx was refreshed last year, but unsurprisingly, a lot of people have been waiting for a follow-up that would disrupt the ARM market.

Qualcomm is internally testing a 14-inch laptop with SC8280 and 32GB LPDDR5 RAM. The size of the Qualcomm’s new ARM chipset is 20x17mn, which makes it bigger than the 20x15mm Snapdragon 8cx.

Snapdragon SC8280 will also include more cores, support for new form factors, and it could be bundled with Snapdragon X55 5G modem, which is the second-generation 5G modem with support for AT&T’s and T-Mobile’s low-band networks.

When compared to Intel’s low-power i5 CPUs and existing Snapdragon lineup, the next-gen Qualcomm SoC is expected to promise better performance and at least 25 hours of battery life.

Qualcomm is working on performance-oriented solutions too, which could be offered with the Surface Pro X 2.

Improvements to Windows on ARM

On top of that, Microsoft has also promised to work closely with Qualcomm and OEM partners to make Windows run great on Arm.

For example, x64 emulation for Windows 10 on ARM will become a reality in 2021 and it could finally solve the app gap between ARM and Intel PCs. According to Microsoft, x64 emulation is still in development and it is scheduled to drop later this year.

The post Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jan 15, 2021

2. Apple looking to buy ARM. We're all doomed!

the A4 chip is an ARM design... apple therefore have to pay arm a license fee to use their tech... like everyone else in the mobile cpu world (practically everything is arm based!) so buying arm means they get that revenue...but it sounds like it isn't going
    to happen anyway... phew

cpitchford, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Apple looking to buy ARM. We're all doomed!

Not sure why Apple would need to buy ARM. Apple owns the company that designed the A4 chip used in the iPad (link).

In any case, it would be understandable if there is a feeling doom and gloom inside Nokia right now (link
    ) (link 2) .

abubasim---01, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip

Apple looking to buy ARM. We're all doomed!

Apple linked to ARM purchase

This could mean war...

If Steve Jobs ends up owning ARM, then he will essentially control all the other phone manufacturers out there, and countless other tech kit too.

It simply cannot happen!

montana_uk, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip

1. Look out Apple M1: Windows on ARM is getting a powerful Qualcomm chip - Similar Threads - Apple ARM getting

2. Windows 10 Arm Download for my Mac with a M1 Chip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Arm Download for my Mac with a M1 Chip: I need to get the Windows 10 Arm download. I checked on the Microsoft website and only Windows 11 is only available. Does anyone have a copy of Windows 10 Arm so I can load it on Parallel for my Mac with an M1 chip?...
  3. Windows 10 Arm Download for my Mac with a M1 Chip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Arm Download for my Mac with a M1 Chip: I need to get the Windows 10 Arm download. I checked on the Microsoft website and only Windows 11 is only available. Does anyone have a copy of Windows 10 Arm so I can load it on Parallel for my Mac with an M1 chip?...
  4. Windows 10 Arm Download for my Mac with a M1 Chip

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Parallels - ARM - M1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Parallels - ARM - M1: When I switched to Apple M1 Desktop I used Windows 10 ARM edition. I can no longer use my previous Windows 10 license key I purchased for earlier Parallels edition no longer active,How do I transfer my purchased Window License key to new configuration?Thanks in advance...
  6. Windows on Apple Mac M1

Windows on Apple Mac M1: Has MS produced a version of Windows 10 that will be compatible with Apple's M1 processor? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-on-apple-mac-m1/2b2ea88c-15fa-4f08-82b5-12d735631123
  7. Qualcomm’s Apple M1 competitor for Windows 10 shows up in benchmark

in Windows 10 News
    Qualcomm’s Apple M1 competitor for Windows 10 shows up in benchmark: Windows on ARM devices have been around for nearly five years and these laptops run ARM-based chips by Qualcomm. Microsoft’s own device uses an ARM-based SQ processor, which was created by Surface and Qualcomm. There’s no denying that Windows 10 on ARM is a great idea but...
  8. Snapdragon SC8280 for Windows 10 is Qualcomm’s answer to Apple M1

in Windows 10 News
    Snapdragon SC8280 for Windows 10 is Qualcomm’s answer to Apple M1: Snapdragon 8cx Gen2 processor for Windows 10 on ARM debuted in 2020 and Qualcomm is already working on a successor codenamed “SC8280XP”. A processor going by the aforementioned name has appeared in developer samples and Apple M1-rival is early in development, judging by the...
  9. Windows 10 on arm on the m1 chip

Windows 10 on arm on the m1 chip: So i have bought new a m1 macbook pro and i am very unfamiliar with mac os specially bigsur after being a long time windows and linux user.I installed ubuntu on arm but it is basically use less.So i wanted to ask when will u let us license windows on arm and let it run on...
  10. Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X

in Windows 10 News
    Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X: Based on the new benchmarks, we can confidently say that Apple M1 processor is impressive and it currently runs Windows 10 faster than the processor that ships with Microsoft’s Surface Pro X lineup. Apple’s ARM-based M1 processor is currently available in the MacBook and Mac...