Windows 10: Look up hard disk information with PowerShell

Discus and support Look up hard disk information with PowerShell in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Windows PowerShell is quite powerful when it comes to looking up hard disk information. While you may look up some information in Windows directly,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 28, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Look up hard disk information with PowerShell

The Windows PowerShell is quite powerful when it comes to looking up hard disk information. While you may look up some information in Windows directly, e.g. in Disk Management, or by using third-party programs like Hard Disk Validator, Disk Checkup, or DiskBoss, using PowerShell is a quick and easy option as well.

Hard disks are essential on Windows as they store operating system data and user data. The devices don't last forever, and a hard disk failure can easily lead to all sorts of issues including data loss if backups are not available (or corrupt).

PowerShell comes with several commands that return information about connected internal and external storage devices.

You may start a new PowerShell console by opening Start, typing Powershell, and selecting the item from the list of results. The commands don't require elevation to run.

Option 1: Retrieve general information

Look up hard disk information with PowerShell display-disk-information-windows-powershell.png

The command: get-wmiobject -class win32_logicaldisk

Run the command get-wmiobject -class win32_logicaldisk to look up core information about each connected hard drive. The command returns drive letters and types, the overall size and free space in bytes, and the volume name.

Drive type uses a numerical code:

• 0 -- Unknown
    • 1 -- No Root directory
    • 2 -- Removable Disk
    • 3 -- Local Disk
    • 4 -- Network Drive
    • 5 -- Compact Disc
    • 6 -- Ram Disk

You may use filters to display only select drive types, e.g. Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_logicaldisk -Filter "DriveType =4" to display network drives only.

Option 2: Retrieve hard drive properties

Look up hard disk information with PowerShell wmic-diskdrive-get.png

The command: wmic diskdrive get

The core command wmic diskdrive get needs to be followed by one or multiple properties.

The command wmic diskdrive get Name,Model,SerialNumber,Size,Status returns names, model types, serial numbers, the overall size in bytes, and the status for all connected hard drives.

Other properties that you may retrieve include InstallDate, InterfaceType, FirmwareRevision, DefaultBlockSize, CompressionMethod, Capabilities, Availability, LastErrorCode, or PowerManagementCapabilities.

Just add, replace, or remove any property from the command to create a custom one.

Closing Words

The PowerShell commands may be useful in certain situations. Apart from use in scripts, you may use them to quickly look up the status of all drives, look up serial numbers or error codes, or capabilities.

Some users may prefer to use a program with a graphical interface like Crystal DiskInfo for that, and that is perfectly fine as well.

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Look up hard disk information with PowerShell appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 28, 2019

2. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, May 28, 2019
  3. Rey Bel1 Win User
    Hard Disk is unreadable after updates

Hi Hermawan,

There are a number of reasons why hard disk drives fail. It may fail due to software or firmware damages which makes it unable to interact with the computer, or it may simply be corrupted due to problematic information on the
    disk. For us to isolate you concern, we would like to ask the following questions:

• How long have you been using the device?
    • Have you made changes on the device prior to the incident?
    • Was it damaged physically prior to the incident?
    • What have you done so far to resolve the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you check the steps provided by
    Time Lady on this
    thread
    and see if it helps.

Rey Bel1, May 28, 2019
  4. Jess Bor Win User

HARD DISK DRIVE ERROR

Hi Aditya,

In order for us to help you with your concern about hard disk drive error, kindly answer the following questions first:

• What specific error are you getting? Are you getting an alpha-numeric error codes such as 0x80070057? If possible, kindly post here a screen shot of the actual error.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • For initial troubleshooting steps, kindly access this
      support link

Regards.

Jess Bor, May 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Look up hard disk information with PowerShell - Similar Threads - hard disk information

2. Hard Disk files show up as an Desktop.ini

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk files show up as an Desktop.ini: I have a monitor that is a window vista but more of a modern version of it and it is rather old. Don't exactly know anything too much about it One day it showed a message of it having some space problems but when I checked the files on it, it was only half full on used space....
  3. Hard Disk files show up as an Desktop.ini

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Disk files show up as an Desktop.ini: I have a monitor that is a window vista but more of a modern version of it and it is rather old. Don't exactly know anything too much about it One day it showed a message of it having some space problems but when I checked the files on it, it was only half full on used space....
  4. NEED INFORMATION FOR DISK PROTECTION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NEED INFORMATION FOR DISK PROTECTION: WHAT DOES DISK PROTECTIO N DOES? YESTERDAY I TURNED IT ON WHILE CREATING A RESTORE POINT DOES WINDOWS CREATE RESTORE POINT AUTOMATICALLY OR NOT? IF YES THEN HOW MANY IT WILL CREATE ONLY ONE OR MORE...
  5. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  6. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  7. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. External Hard disk not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard disk not showing up: I've 4tb seagate backup plus hard disk which has 2 partitions out of which one partition with 2tb is bitlocker protected. I've initiated removal of encryption of that 2 tb hard disk but it stuck at 46% and after that disk is ejected automatically. Now I'm not able to see...
  9. seagate external hard disk not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    seagate external hard disk not showing up: Hi, Device manager indicates Unknown USB Device device descriptor request failed, Under Mass Storage - Properties - Error Code 45 Other HD and SDs are working good. Can someone help...............................
  10. How to use Windows PowerShell to find information about Hard Drive

in Windows 10 News
    How to use Windows PowerShell to find information about Hard Drive: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows PowerShell is a powerful utility that comes preinstalled on Windows 10. Microsoft has been pushing it hard to become useful for developers and IT professionals. Windows PowerShell can also be used to manage hard drive and SSDs. In this [...] This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. email Hard Drive information and failure powershell