Windows 10: Looking at new Laptops

Discus and support Looking at new Laptops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am looking at getting a new Laptop for myself and giving my fiancée (Stephanie) my other Laptop. The Laptop that I am giving her is a Toshiba. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jesse Williams, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Looking at new Laptops

I am looking at getting a new Laptop for myself and giving my fiancée (Stephanie) my other Laptop. The Laptop that I am giving her is a Toshiba. The Toshiba is Windows 10 compatible and has been great. It just doesn't have a DVD/RW drive and that's what I need. What manufacturers do y'all recommend? I don't want another Acer. In my opinion, Toshiba, HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Samsung are the best. HP and Dell are at the top of my list. Which manufacturer do y'all recommend? Also, where do y'all normally get your computers at? I live in the United States. Also, I am looking at spending $100 to $200 for one. It doesn't have to be touch screen. Just as long as it has a number keypad and a 15.6" screen or bigger is fine with me.

:)

Jesse Williams, Jan 30, 2017

2. Brand new Acer Laptops Disk Running at 100%

Thanks Lawrence, but I've sent it back to the manufacturer. I've spent way too much time on Acer laptops - will be buying a different make in future!

Cheers

RobDuffyJF, Jan 30, 2017
  3. Brand new Acer Laptops Disk Running at 100%

This might be because of some programs that are running at the back of your computer. Let's try to scan first your computer using the
    Microsoft Safety Scanner and check. After that, let's do

clean boot
    option to see which program is causing the performance issue.

Please provide us feedback.

Lawrence Lib, Jan 30, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Looking at new Laptops

ASUS, refurbished from E-Bay or Amazon, although my daughter's Asus came from the Navy Exchange.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2017
  5. Thanks for the information. Why do you recommend ASUS? I have heard they are good though.

6. JBGoode Win User
    I use HP for personal use and work and love them. I'm really not sure what you're expecting to get for $100-200 though---unless you're looking for a bare bones netbook with a slow processor, and next to no onboard memory. A new laptop with decent specs is going to cost a bit more than that. Did you mean thousand?

JBGoode, Jan 30, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Because my daughter and I both love our Asus laptops. My daughter's did have a problem, though. When the battery would get down to below 10% the screen would flicker. I sent it back to them under warranty and within 1 week had it back, repaired, with the hard drive in the exact same state I sent it in. Normally manufacturers like to re-image the hard drive back to factory fresh state, but Asus did not.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2017
  8. Looking at new Laptops

I have found several HP laptops that were of good quality on Facebook's marketplace for $150. I don't mind buying used as my Toshiba was used and it has been an excellent computer. I upgraded the RAM on it to 8GB and it does well in Adobe Lr. I only gave $150 for my Toshiba. So I don't think you have to buy a computer that is bare bones to be cheap.

9. NavyLCDR New Member
  10. I will look into ASUS.

11. JBGoode Win User
    I thought you were looking for a new laptop as stated *Smile

I'm glad you have had good luck with used. Personally, I don't trust people enough to buy used but that's my problem. *Wink

JBGoode, Jan 30, 2017
  12. Well, I apologize for sounding rude. But, no it doesn't have to be new. Just as long as it has Windows 10 and is in decent shape with a number keypad and a 15.6" or larger screen.

If it needs the RAM upgraded, I will be glad to do so as I did it with my Toshiba.

13. JBGoode Win User

Looking at new Laptops

I didn't think you were rude.

I have a 2 year old HP Pavilion with an i7 and 6 gigs of RAM that I upgraded to Windows 10 (from 8.1) last year.(the model itself is closer to 3 years old) It's worked flawlessly since I've owned it and you could probably find a similar used model for what you're looking to spend. I bought it after I returned the Dell that I initially bought that gave me nothing but problems for 10 days. I've used HP solely for work for the last 15 years--everything from towers to Elitebooks and they've all performed well with little or no issues.

JBGoode, Jan 30, 2017
  14. What model is your Pavilion? I will look it up and see what I can find. That's what I am interested in anyway, is a Pavilion laptop. The reason why I said I didn't want another Acer is because Acer does not stand behind their product. I have an Acer desktop. The first version of Windows 10 was supported, but when the Anniversary Update rolled out, they didn't support it because the drivers still date back to 2015. That's the latest the drivers were updated.

Although, the Acer has proved to be reliable with no problems even with the Anniversary Update installed. I still don't like the fact that Acer didn't support the product for the Anniversary Update.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    I've had good luck with HP laptops in the past as well (just not their printers). I would not get another Toshiba. They just don't seem to perform as well as the HP and Asus laptops I've had. For printers its Epson all the way, in my house.

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2017
Thema:

Looking at new Laptops

1. Looking at new Laptops - Similar Threads - Looking Laptops

2. How can I delete Onedrive from my new laptop and have all my folders look like they did on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I delete Onedrive from my new laptop and have all my folders look like they did on...: Hi,I bought a new laptop and following the advice of a friend, used OneDrive to transfer my data from the old laptop to this one.But now, I would like to stop using OneDrive and go back to the old system of having my folders offline and only taking backup when I want.I have...
  3. How can I delete Onedrive from my new laptop and have all my folders look like they did on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I delete Onedrive from my new laptop and have all my folders look like they did on...: Hi,I bought a new laptop and following the advice of a friend, used OneDrive to transfer my data from the old laptop to this one.But now, I would like to stop using OneDrive and go back to the old system of having my folders offline and only taking backup when I want.I have...
  4. Looking for drivers for my windows xp gateway laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Looking for drivers for my windows xp gateway laptop.: So i've been looking for a driver for 'Multimedia Audio Controller' for my windows xp laptop. Closest results i found gave me links to a website that no longer existed. I got error 28 when trying to diagnose the problem, and most games i've been playing either don't work or...
  5. Looking for drivers for my windows xp gateway laptop.

Looking for drivers for my windows xp gateway laptop.: So i've been looking for a driver for 'Multimedia Audio Controller' for my windows xp laptop. Closest results i found gave me links to a website that no longer existed. I got error 28 when trying to diagnose the problem, and most games i've been playing either don't work or...
  6. My windows 11 laptop goes to sleep after a few seconds when I'm not looking at the screen...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 11 laptop goes to sleep after a few seconds when I'm not looking at the screen...: This is really annoying when I'm trying to watch and listen to a Youtube video or something and have to look away from my computer screen for a moment. Or just when I'm only looking away from my laptop for a short period of time for whatever reason.I have the 'screen & sleep'...
  7. My windows 11 laptop goes to sleep after a few seconds when I'm not looking at the screen...

My windows 11 laptop goes to sleep after a few seconds when I'm not looking at the screen...: This is really annoying when I'm trying to watch and listen to a Youtube video or something and have to look away from my computer screen for a moment. Or just when I'm only looking away from my laptop for a short period of time for whatever reason.I have the 'screen & sleep'...
  8. Why is my laptop telling me the Recovery Key for Bitlocker isn't correct when I am looking...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my laptop telling me the Recovery Key for Bitlocker isn't correct when I am looking...: Why is my laptop telling me the Recovery Key for Bitlocker isn't correct when I am looking at the key as I type it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-laptop-telling-me-the-recovery-key-for/e934b651-3a9c-4f7c-9c4f-a5b95221fe64
  9. Why is my laptop telling me the Recovery Key for Bitlocker isn't correct when I am looking...

Why is my laptop telling me the Recovery Key for Bitlocker isn't correct when I am looking...: Why is my laptop telling me the Recovery Key for Bitlocker isn't correct when I am looking at the key as I type it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-laptop-telling-me-the-recovery-key-for/e934b651-3a9c-4f7c-9c4f-a5b95221fe64
  10. Looking for a basic laptop for an elderly person. Can you buy windows 11 without s?

Looking for a basic laptop for an elderly person. Can you buy windows 11 without s?: HiI am looking for a low spec laptop for an elderly lady who only does banking, email and someone online shopping. I am worried that if I buy one with windows 11 it will be this s mode thing, lol Can you buy a laptop without the s mode? If not is is easy for a non tech person...