Windows 10: Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

Discus and support Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have been using Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 10 Pro. I decided I need something a bit more powerful. I am asking for thoughts on backup solutions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by purplenate26, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

I have been using Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 10 Pro. I decided I need something a bit more powerful. I am asking for thoughts on backup solutions for backing up to a local hard drive through a USB connection and a network drive. Using Windows 10 Pro. 5 TB back up drive is the main drive. Other drives come and go. Not looking for online backup at the moment unless the solution connects to Google drive as well as local. But local is our primary focus. for $100 or less.

A big plus is if we can browse the backed up data without having to restore the data first and an even bigger plus if it's not in some weird super proprietary format that nobody else can ready if the software becomes inactivated.

Requirement is that the software be activated once and not be required to connect to the internet to check for activation. I don't want backup software suddenly becoming inactivated.

:)

purplenate26, Nov 18, 2018
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Nov 18, 2018
  3. Decaf Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

anyone know how to, or a program that will automatically backup my laptop (windows 8) onto my buffalo hard drive that is connected through my wireless network?

the hard drive is wired directly into the network, and can be accessed from any computer on the network.

Decaf, Nov 18, 2018
  4. sumasage Win User

Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

1. Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network - Similar Threads - Looking backup solution

2. Local backup solution for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local backup solution for Windows 11: Hi, I stopped fighting and allowed Windows 11 to upgrade itself on my HP laptop.I was previously using Acronis True Image and a WD MY Passport. But I understand Acronis is not supported in Win 11 and does not appear to have a replacement product yet.What compatible...
  3. Local backup solution for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local backup solution for Windows 11: Hi, I stopped fighting and allowed Windows 11 to upgrade itself on my HP laptop.I was previously using Acronis True Image and a WD MY Passport. But I understand Acronis is not supported in Win 11 and does not appear to have a replacement product yet.What compatible...
  4. Switching hard drives via recovery usb?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching hard drives via recovery usb?: Hello. Windows 10 here. Amatuer PC knowledge switched to PC after decade w/mac. Bought new PC from custom build company. Received Unmountable Boot Volume error after forced shutdown. The PC gets stuck in loop of restart, volume boot error. I've tried every troubleshooting...
  5. Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 I have a 4TB USB drive I'm currently using for Windows File Backup. I want to move this to a NAS Drive configuration using a Raspberry Pi using this tutorial: How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device...
  6. hard drive backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    hard drive backup: How do I backup my hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-backup/4c142105-4de1-4e4c-a3dc-fcca8a0c8cd2
  7. Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a HD backup solution to local hard drive via USB & network: I have been using Windows 7 backup tool in Windows 10 Pro. I decided I need something a bit more powerful. I am asking for thoughts on backup solutions for backing up to a local hard drive through a USB connection and a network drive. Using Windows 10 Pro. 5 TB back up drive...
  8. Trying to set a backup to my local network drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to set a backup to my local network drive: It won't let me do so as I don't have a password set up on my network? Why is this? My network doesn't insist on a password, I don't want or need to set a password, so why should Windows 10 back up?...
  9. Updates via Local Network

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates via Local Network: Hello I have (4) computers, I want to update only (01) PC via internet and the other via Local network with the option of Windows update . But it seems don't work with me ! I think I didn't build a well local network , The (3) PCs are connected to the router that's all,...
  10. Looking for NAS solution for existing USB hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Looking for NAS solution for existing USB hard drives: I have some extra external USB 3.0 drives that I wanted to use as part of a NAS solution, so I am looking for some sort of NAS device with USB 3.0 ports where I can plug in my drives. The NAS drive doesn't necessarily need to have any onboard storage capacity, and the less...