Windows 10: Looking for a new laptop. Some suggestions please...

Discus and support Looking for a new laptop. Some suggestions please... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For reasons that I simply cannot fathom, my employer has decreed that the entire office is going to laptops. In my situation, a laptop is fine for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gurn Blanston, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Looking for a new laptop. Some suggestions please...

For reasons that I simply cannot fathom, my employer has decreed that the entire office is going to laptops. In my situation, a laptop is fine for portable requirements where I have to be somewhere in the building and need access to my computer, or for traveling. For any real computing work, I consider a laptop absolutely useless.

However, I have no choice in the matter, and I'm wondering if someone out there is able to recommend a good lappy for me based on the following requirements:

Quad core (i7 preferred)
    At least 8 GB RAM
    SSD preferred (500 GB or larger)
    Can drive two external monitors or has a docking port available that will
    Must not be an HP (I have had zero luck with HP anything).

I plan to wipe it immediately and reinstall Windows 10 Pro and the appropriate drivers to get rid of the bloatware, so that isn't a problem for me. I just want a good, powerful laptop that can keep up to having 10+ large spreadsheets open, mail, a browser, and some number crunching going on in the background. My current laptop cannot and my desktop can run circles around it.

Any advice gratefully received.

:)

Gurn Blanston, Sep 15, 2017

2. Looking to get a new phone, any suggestions?

Yes it has wifi and gps. Don't know what you mean when you say "tether with it".

The E90 is aimed at business users that don't want to carry a laptop.

psychomania---01, Sep 15, 2017
  3. Looking to get a new phone, any suggestions?

Awesome. Thank you. Thank you. Thank You. Now I just have to decide if I am going to lose my mind with my Credit Card. Decisions Decisions. It sounds perfect.

rllngriver, Sep 15, 2017
  4. Looking for a new laptop. Some suggestions please...

Well ......... without a price range its a little tough to recommend a particular model but MSi makes some excellent , very powerful laptops with all the things you mentioned.

Screen size?
    Budget?

I've had mine for a while now with no problems at all. It can and does do all the things you mentioned but its primarily a gaming machine. About $1,600. Asus makes some very powerful laptops both gaming and all in ones but be aware that their customer service leaves MUCH to be desired. Toshiba's customer service is top notch but I haven't owned one in a few years. I've linked to a couple of "lists" at Amazon, they are mostly gaming laptops but have the power you need.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+gaming+laptop

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+gaming+laptop

indianacarnie, Sep 15, 2017
  5. If your employer is switching to laptops, how is it that you can choose one?
    Doesn't your employer furnish each employee with a computer?
    Most do, and you have little or no choice as to make or model.
    Is your situation different?

margrave55, Sep 15, 2017
  6. I am able to choose the laptop model I want, based on certain criteria. It must have a minimum of 8 GB and run Windows 10 Pro, after that anything is fair game, including the price, though I would probably limit the price to between $1000 and $1500 CDN.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have had numerous instances of bad luck with Toshiba laptops in the past so personally, I would not consider that brand. Also, make sure the laptop has a discreet graphics processing unit (GPU) and not just running the APU on the processor.

NavyLCDR, Sep 15, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

Looking for a new laptop. Some suggestions please...

I second that! stay way from Toshiba rather.

Superfly, Sep 15, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    My comments too on his identical post in the sevenforum.
    BTW, the Dell I referenced has an NVIDIA video chip.

fireberd, Sep 15, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Federal government contract, at least everywhere I have been, is with Dell hardware.

NavyLCDR, Sep 15, 2017
  11. I agree. A previous laptop was a Toshiba. The HD failed within 6 months, and the replacement Toshiba HD three months after that. After about a year and a half the screen started to go bonkers, tearing and only working half the time. Although it did last longer than my last HP...

12. My one and only Toshiba was a decent machine, no problems in the couple of years I owned it. Maybe I was lucky! Could be that's why their customer service is so good too I guess. I've always had bad luck with HP and Dell and will never give either one of them more money. MSI and Asus have been the top performers for me. Good well made machines imo of course.

indianacarnie, Sep 15, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Multiple ASUS computers in my house work just fine. Daughters ASUS laptop was repaired under warranty very quickly.

NavyLCDR, Sep 15, 2017
  14. brummyfan Win User
    Acer is another brand to consider, they build solid laptops.

brummyfan, Sep 15, 2017
  15. dencal Win User
    If size is not a requisite a Microsoft Surface Pro should satisfy your needs.

dencal, Sep 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Looking for a new laptop. Some suggestions please... - Similar Threads - Looking laptop suggestions

2. Suggestions for a new monitor please?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Suggestions for a new monitor please?: Hi all. Looks like my current monitor is dying, so I'm hoping to replace it soon, but I don't want to rush this process. Except I also hate shopping for monitors because they just seem so hit-or-miss, even the exact same model! Anyway, if anyone is willing to suggest some...
  3. Looking for new laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for new laptop: Hi guys. Haven't been here for a while. If and when the stymulus check shows up, I can finally get a new laptop. If this page shows up properly, there's three laptops I'm looking at... Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and...
  4. Looking for suggestions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for suggestions: Hello everyone, I am currently using Bitdefender and Norton. I am having issues with Bitdefender as it slows down my system a lot. Should I uninstall it and run Norton alongside Windows Defender? Would that be fine? I am not sure which one to uninstall (Bitdefender or...
  5. My Laptop folders are looking different - please suggest how to resolve it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Laptop folders are looking different - please suggest how to resolve it: Need to know why my screen is looking like this [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-folders-are-looking-different-please/58460ac1-1836-4350-bc5e-a94ac14c1100"
  6. Looking for advice or suggestion.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for advice or suggestion.: I own a windows10 tablet... from the Microsoft store could you please recommend a battery status/usage/monitor app that is legit? 103193
  7. suggestions for a laptop please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    suggestions for a laptop please: Looking at budget approx £500 need something at college level, for web design Unity projects etc. quite happy with Non Intel CPU if gives better price / performance. have heard that latest laptops have HDD's that are difficult to replace....but battery life is not...
  8. Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking for a super-deal on laptop, suggestions?: Notes: Looking for a solid performer that will last for years at a low price. No major gaming or 3d rendering, some usage of photoshop and dreamweaver, older games, a database application, outlook with fairly sizable mailbox, skype, excel, word, browsing, etc......
  9. Looking at new Laptops

in Windows 10 Support
    Looking at new Laptops: I am looking at getting a new Laptop for myself and giving my fiancée (Stephanie) my other Laptop. The Laptop that I am giving her is a Toshiba. The Toshiba is Windows 10 compatible and has been great. It just doesn't have a DVD/RW drive and that's what I need. What...
  10. Suggestions for a new laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Suggestions for a new laptop: I could use some suggestions for a laptop that I need to get for my 13yr old daughter. I just recently started working from home. I need to use my laptop strictly for business. Currently I have to share my computer with my daughter as we homeschool. Although I only work 4-5...