Windows 10: Looking for advice for possible move to Win 10

Discus and support Looking for advice for possible move to Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 1st post. I might be upgrading to Win10, but have questions. First, what I have now... HARDWARE Dell E6420 Laptop (64 bit) Intel i5-2520M CPU 2.50 Ghz... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metaguy, Sep 23, 2020.

1. metaguy Win User

Looking for advice for possible move to Win 10

1st post. I might be upgrading to Win10, but have questions. First, what I have now...

HARDWARE
    Dell E6420 Laptop (64 bit)
    Intel i5-2520M CPU 2.50 Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    MotherboardACPI x64-based PC
    Hard DriveHitachi HTS545032B9A300
    Fantom GFB2000EU, 2GB USB
    DVD/CD-ROMHL-DT-ST DVD/ROM DU60N
    Matshita DVD-RAM UJ882 USB
    Processors4 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.5GHz
    Graphics cardIntel(R) HD Graphics 3000
    Sound CardIntel(R) Display Audio
    Network AdapterIntel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

SOFTWARE
    ISPComcast
    O/SWin 7 Ultimate
    AntivirusBitdefender Total Security
    BrowserFirefox -primary
    Office AppsLotus Smart Suite 9.7 Millennium Edition - primary
    MS Office Professional Plus 2007 - not used

With that in mind...
    My Dell Latitude E-6420 has been a fantastic workhorse. UPC usage is rarely over 30%. HDD still has 68GB available out of 268 and that's since 2016. 8GB RAM often runs at 50% and goes higher with multiple apps running. This is my weakest link. I do backups to external HDD regularly.

I use the pc for email, browsing and streaming. NO gaming. Heavy use of capture app (Snagit) and word processing, legacy Lotus Word Pro Millennium - please don't laugh, it still out shines Word and Libre. Periodically I do video editing. I run 8 utilities, so on boot RAM will take about 2.5 GB. I also use Outlook 2007, and would like to retain it if I go to Win10.

My dilemma - why system is slower than I'd like if CPU usage is low. Probably due to RAM? I'd like to stay with Win 7 with all the precautions I take. If I go to Win 10, I'd want to emulate Win 7. Would an external SSD for the o/s speed things up?

OR, upgrade on the 6420 and migrate to a new pc with 16GB RAM? I think this way I'd still be able to run Outlook 2007.

That's a lot to take in and think over. I depend on your wisdom to help make a decision. Thank you all.

:)

metaguy, Sep 23, 2020
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Sep 23, 2020
  3. Can't upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10

Jessen P -- Thanks for responding. I looked at the link you provided, but it just provides a small list of error codes and possible causes for the error. Didn't see any steps to take to resolve the issue. And none of the listed error codes are the
    same as the one I got 0x80070006-0x90016 when I tried to upgrade to win 10.

PhilSaxton, Sep 23, 2020
  4. wilspeak Win User

Request Advice for finding a installed application on my Win 10 PC.

wilspeak, Sep 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Looking for advice for possible move to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Looking advice possible

2. Looking for Windows 10 upgrade advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for Windows 10 upgrade advice: Hi there, I currently have a personal laptop running Windows 10 Home, I would like to upgrade this to Windows 10 Pro, I have been looking at education licences (Available for free via my university) I am mainly wondering about the differences between Pro and Education...
  3. Looking for some tech advice.

Looking for some tech advice.: Hey /r/windows10, Time to use this subreddit for some tech support rather than just getting neat tools I'll never use. Trying to help out my uncle with his PC and I am running into an issue that I cannot find a solution for. Their computer freezes randomly, while using it...
  4. Looking for advice

Looking for advice: Hi guys, hope y’all are doing good Can you please tell me if there’s a way to speed up windows 10? My pc has been sluggish those days and crashes a lot I have an HP laptop with intel celeron and 4 gb RAM submitted by /u/Neko-Raijin [link] [comments]...
  5. Browsers for Win 10 advice

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers for Win 10 advice: Win 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.685 All browsers mentioned are the very latest, up to date. I seem to be constantly on the search for the 'perfect' browser! For a long time, I found that Edge was great but it began to cause odd issues on some sites. So I went with Google Chrome....
  6. Looking for some advice

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Looking for some advice: What should I do when u get this error, c:\$SysReset\Scatch\Csrss.ex? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-some-advice/3f27847c-e942-49ef-b290-be91c9418fb4
  7. Looking for some Antivirus Advice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Looking for some Antivirus Advice: I'd like to use a Free one before I decide if I'd like to pay for the Full Version. I'd like an Antivirus w/a good reputation, that can stop tracking cookies & pop-ups, somewhat fast but very thorough scans w/easy to read & understand results-that can also be copied to a...
  8. Looking for software/app advice.....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for software/app advice.....: I work in the transportation industry and we have to keep a list of when and where our trucks are loading and unloading. There are 3 of us that use this information. We currently keep 3 different lists on 3 different yellow legal pads. The problem is that when one of us make...
  9. Looking For Advice on Fiber Install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Looking For Advice on Fiber Install: Hi folks, This Saturday, I'm getting UVerse 1000 laid in at my house. It will actually drop my AT&T bill by $20. I'm assuming that they provide the home router and other needed equipment, but I was wondering if there is anything I should upgrade. My PC has a gigabit...
  10. Looking for advice or suggestion.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for advice or suggestion.: I own a windows10 tablet... from the Microsoft store could you please recommend a battery status/usage/monitor app that is legit? 103193