Windows 10: Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD...

Discus and support Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; One of the really, really basic things Windows used to be able to do in File Explorer was display images in a myriad of ways (Small, Large, X-Large,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChristinaZDennis, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD...

One of the really, really basic things Windows used to be able to do in File Explorer was display images in a myriad of ways (Small, Large, X-Large, Details, Content, Tiles etc). File Explorer did its job well on the Low Res screens we used to own but now we have the luxury of UHD screens (mine is 3840 X 2160) and File Explorer appears to have experienced some sort of "brain f*rt" (a stroke?) and refuses to do its job properly.​

I use my Laptop for many hours a day mainly working with photos and other images so it is with sadness that I have had to lower my screen resolution to be able to view images (and actually see what it is. Of course the images/photos etc are somewhat blurry and not the beautiful crystal clear that we know our lovely UHD screens can do. This is somewhat an insult to the many thousands of people around the world who make UHD displays/screens, monitors possible. We, the Users, are left with a choice, either look at tiny icons at high resolution or X-Large icons at low resolution. Neither of these are acceptable. Microsoft has taken away very useful functionality and it would seem that future Research & Development in Windows will be in the backwards direction.​

It is sort of like a 12 year old who suddenly can't/won’t add two simple numbers together - a skill learned at age 5. Hey Microsoft, what is the problem? Is there a Fix coming for this? If so, then when can we expect it? If not WHY NOT? In the meantime how about a nice little App or work-around so that we can make use of our beautiful “new” screens although mine is now 3 years old. Does anyone out there know of an App which in effect replaces File Explorer and will give us the display we ask for? If so please let us all know as it seems there are a LOT of people out there who are peeved about this.​

This problem has been known for at least the last 4 years (as evidenced by the fact that Users have been discussing this in the many, many Windows Forums discussed in many forums for years) and I for one want a definitive answer.​

1. When will it be fixed​

2. What App or work-around can I use while Microsoft works feverishly on a fix or just twiddles its fingers regarding this problem. This one is very important to me - I am old and glasses do not help me with this problem and that is why I spent a ridiculous amount of money a UHD laptop.​

I await your answer with bated breath,​

Christina Dennis​

:)

ChristinaZDennis, Nov 2, 2019

2. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Nov 2, 2019
  3. File Explorer not showing Extra large icons

Hi,

The icons might be set to appear in medium or small icons. For you to get extra large icons, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click in an empty space and navigate to View > Extra large icons.

Let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD...

Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

thats wierd... iv never had a large file crash explorer before....

and i have files ranging upto 80GB...

slyfox2151, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD...

1. Looking for an alternative to File Explorer so that I can see X-Large images on my UHD... - Similar Threads - Looking alternative File

2. File Explorer Win10 sees my Galaxy S20+ when it's set to "Transferring Images" but sees...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Win10 sees my Galaxy S20+ when it's set to "Transferring Images" but sees...: I have multiple folder of images in my SD card and used to be able to see all folders in my SD card when set to Transferring files/audio. Now just recently when I set the S20+ to "Transferring files/audio" instead of the "Transferring Images" option, File Explorer no longer...
  3. Why my Explorer looks so awful?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my Explorer looks so awful?: I already had this trouble before, and just formatting my computer solved it. Today, I received a Intel Display update, after it got installed, the Tips app opened and said "You are in tablet mode!", suddently, after restarting my notebook that doesn't have touch interactions...
  4. Why my Explorer looks so awful?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my Explorer looks so awful?: I already had this trouble before, and just formatting my computer solved it. Today, I received a Intel Display update, after it got installed, the Tips app opened and said "You are in tablet mode!", suddently, after restarting my notebook that doesn't have touch interactions...
  5. Looking for a Handbrake alternative

Looking for a Handbrake alternative: Hi I am looking for a more robust trans coder than Handbrake for Windows 10 version 2004 x64, I don't mind if is payware Thank you very much in advance jedi I don't have idea where to start with this result, they are suggesting the "best" Handbrake alternative, usually I...
  6. Looking for a Microsoft Alternative

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Looking for a Microsoft Alternative: Hi We currently use a product called NextThink in our enterprise. do Microsoft have an equivalent or alternative to this tool ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-a-microsoft-alternative/ed30b342-0d3a-49e5-b650-c2c80a73af2a
  7. Why can I not see CR3 RAW file thumbnail images in file explorer, when i used to be able to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can I not see CR3 RAW file thumbnail images in file explorer, when i used to be able to...: Hi, I have just added a Canon EOS R to my quiver of cameras...and whilst I am loving it for many reasons I am finding the fact I cannot see the RAW thumbnails in file explorer a pain in the behind. When I download my images to my pc , I then need to cull the photos I do not...
  8. Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer: Why can I not see thumbnails in File Explorer?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-see-thumbnails-in-file-explorer/da120d4e-a8c5-4419-8d11-51b56a6c003c"
  9. Recommendation for an alternative file explorer

Recommendation for an alternative file explorer: Hi All, Can anyone please give me a recommendation for an alternative file explorer. I have downloaded a trial version of xplorer2 and it seems quite good. Are their any alternatives? Thanks 66327
  10. Windows (File) explorer alternatives

Windows (File) explorer alternatives: Hi there are there any File explorer alternatives that can group and display files / directories easily in user selectable fields - for example here I've grouped them in alphabetical order with clear demarcations between each group. (Linux -- KDE file manager Dolphin)....