Windows 10: Looking for driver for PMC and IBS counters on AMD chips.

Discus and support Looking for driver for PMC and IBS counters on AMD chips. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm looking for signed kernel mode drivers which will give user mode code access to the PMC and IBS facilities on recent AMD CPUs. I need this in order... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mrolle, Jun 19, 2017.

1. mrolle Win User

Looking for driver for PMC and IBS counters on AMD chips.

I'm looking for signed kernel mode drivers which will give user mode code access to the PMC and IBS facilities on recent AMD CPUs. I need this in order to run timing tests on software I've been writing.

I wrote kernel mode drivers to do these functions, running via the Service Manager. The drivers are unsigned, and I don't plan on spending the money to obtain a signing key.

I know how to disable DSE on Windows 10. However I don't really like the idea for security reasons. I use these drivers to run timing tests on software on my system. I'd like to use someone else's system for comparison, but I don't expect another person to disable DSE on their system and install my drivers.

So I would prefer to find an existing device driver for Windows 10 for the PMC and IBS facilities, which can simply be installed on my system and accessed as named devices.

Background:

PMC is the Performance Monitor Counters, each of which counts certain events. They can be read in user code with the RDPMC instruction (if enabled by some CR bit). Kernel code is required to associate a counter with a type of event, enable periodic interrupts, and write a value. If a counter interrupts, the PC will be a few instructions before or after the one that caused the event that overflowed the counter.

IBS is a periodic sampling of instructions and will interrupt the CPU. Unlike the PMC, the IBS will record the exact PC of the instruction that overflowed the counter, and will record some other information about that instruction. It requires kernel mode to handle the interrupts, collect the sample data, and eventually transfer one or more samples to a user mode client.

:)

mrolle, Jun 19, 2017

2. netflix error code W8157-887A0001

My computer now works. AMD E-350 chip. Installed the latest AMD driver. Computer became really sluggish. Then uninstalled the AMD driver. Computer is back to normal, and Netflix app works.

ChuckChang, Jun 19, 2017
  3. Win 10 BSOD fresh install windows 10

Okay, still i recommend visiting AMD's website and download the most recent display drivers for your chip.

Usman Mohammed, Jun 19, 2017
Thema:

Looking for driver for PMC and IBS counters on AMD chips.

1. Looking for driver for PMC and IBS counters on AMD chips. - Similar Threads - Looking driver PMC

2. Driver for "Performance Counters"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver for "Performance Counters": In Device Manager there are yellow triangles on "Performance Counters". It says there is no driver for these "Performance Counters". Microsoft Support said to delete these and then restart the computer, but that did not help. I cannot get anything to print from this computer...
  3. Driver for "Performance Counters"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driver for "Performance Counters": In Device Manager there are yellow triangles on "Performance Counters". It says there is no driver for these "Performance Counters". Microsoft Support said to delete these and then restart the computer, but that did not help. I cannot get anything to print from this computer...
  4. Driver for "Performance Counters"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Upgrade with an AMD chip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade with an AMD chip: My computer meets all the criteria for Win11, except the fact that I run an AMD chip. The architecture of the chip is compatible with the basic requirements. Why not support AMD?...
  6. Upgrade with an AMD chip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade with an AMD chip: My computer meets all the criteria for Win11, except the fact that I run an AMD chip. The architecture of the chip is compatible with the basic requirements. Why not support AMD?...
  7. Anxious for an IB Feature

in Cortana
    Anxious for an IB Feature: It sure will be nice when Windows Search is fully Dark in regular installs as well as Insider Builds [ATTACH] VS [ATTACH] Cheers, Drew [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anxious-for-an-ib-feature/c741c3ca-2ad7-479c-8f2e-ab924d94fd9f
  8. Symbol ib search

in Cortana
    Symbol ib search: What does that little symbol mean in search right next to where you see I searched for, looks like a clock...[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/symbol-ib-search/1d76c637-b32e-4518-adaf-b71e9ae85ea3"
  9. Who can identify this graphics card by looking at it's chip?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Who can identify this graphics card by looking at it's chip?: Im just curious to know which graphics card this is View attachment 9023
  10. AMD on chip vulnerabilities reported by CTS Labs

in Windows 10 News
    AMD on chip vulnerabilities reported by CTS Labs: On March 12, 2018, AMD received a communication from CTS Labs regarding research into security vulnerabilities involving some AMD products. Less than 24 hours later, the research firm went public with its findings. Security and protecting users’ data is of the utmost...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cif single chip camera driver